IGNORED

My PS3 May Have Died

Tempest

I think my PS3 died this morning. I turned it on to play some FF XIII and it didn't detect the disc. I tried ejecting the disc and reinserting it but still nothing. It doesn't detect DVD's, CD's, or Blu-Ray discs and it doesn't sound like they're spinning either.

At this point I'm guessing that the motor may be dead, but I find that odd since it was working last night. I've been reading online and I guess this is a problem with the older model PS3 (mine's a 60GB original launch model). I've tried the trick where you rebuild the system file, the database, and even reformat the entire PS3, but still nothing works. I've also read that the problem might be caused by a stuck sensor, where the PS3 doesn't detect that the disc has been inserted all the way but I haven't been able to find much about this other than a one line mention in a post.

Any ideas? Obviously my PS3 is well out of warranty so I'd hate to have to send it out to Sony for repairs (which I've read cost about $150). Like I said earlier, I have a hard time believing that the motor or laser just magically died over night. In fact I know it was detecting the disc this morning because I had another one in there and it came up before I ejected it to put in FF XIII. Could it be something as simple as a stuck sensor?

Tempest

Wish I could help you, Tempest, but I really have no solution. I've read posts on the official Sony forums where others have experienced problems such as you describe and they either open the system up & repair it themselves (if the unit is out of warranty) or send it to Sony. I've not read of a console suddenly returning to full functionality by itself after experiencing this problem.

As for the system just suddenly failing, it does happen. I've lost two Xbox360's that worked fine during their last play session but revealed three red lights (or an E74 error) when I turned them on the next time. No warning at all, just failure.

One suggestion: before sending the system to Sony, check with local TV shop's as many offer repair of gaming systems at about half the price that MS and Sony charge. My son took a Red Ring Xbox360 to a TV store near him and they repaired it perfectly for $65. Not all stores may be as cheap but its worth a look.

Mendon

As of a year ago:

It will cost you 100 bucks to get it fixed from Sony. They basically give you a new machine, same model. (Yes you will get a new 60GB unit).

Thats what happened to me a little over a year ago when I yellow-ringed (although it may have been my fault that it broke).

It was a new unit that I got, different serial with the peal off plastics all over it. I had to redownload everything from scratch.

That was a year ago, not sure what they will do now.

$100? That's not too bad. I'll call them tonight and see what they say. As much as I'd like to think I can fix this by replacing the laser on my own, I have this fear that if that doesn't solve the problem then I'm SOL. By coughing up the extra money I can be assured that the problem will be 100% solved (until it does it again anyway).

My biggest fear is that they'll tell me that they don't have 60GB models anymore and I'll have to settle for a slim. At that point I guess I'd try to repair it myself.

I'm also going to try and blow it out with an air can today as a last resort. I guess it couldn't hurt and it's not like that can void the warranty.

Tempest

I bit the bullet and decided to pay to get my console fixed (refurbished). I'm pissed off and annoyed because I know I didn't do anything wrong but since I'll never be able to prove it was the update that caused my problem I doubt waiting for Sony to come out with a fix will do any good. I guess if they come up with something in the next few days I can cancel the return, but this whole incident has really soured me on the PS3. If I didn't already have a large collection of Blu-Ray movies I'd have just told them where to stick it.

I'm not one of those conspiracy people who are claiming Sony did this on purpose or anything like that. I think they didn't thoroughly test the firmware and it caused drive failures for a small number of people (I work in a test lab, this sort thing happens all the time). Not much to be done about unfortunately because Sony will never fess up. So either I can stand up for what I believe is right and wait for a fix that's never coming or pay out the ass to get my console fixed and move on.

What I want to know is that if they do actually issue a fix for this issue, can I get my money back? I doubt it, but that would be an interesting situation.

Tempest

Not that my PS3 is broken, but just curious.. what happens if you have a Japanese system? Will they give you a replacement Japanese system and casing, or give you a common piano black console?

If their recent policies and replies to complaints are any indication, they probably will send you a U.S. PS2 and tell you you should have assumed that's what was going to happen.

I bit the bullet and decided to pay to get my console fixed (refurbished). I'm pissed off and annoyed because I know I didn't do anything wrong but since I'll never be able to prove it was the update that caused my problem I doubt waiting for Sony to come out with a fix will do any good. I guess if they come up with something in the next few days I can cancel the return, but this whole incident has really soured me on the PS3. If I didn't already have a large collection of Blu-Ray movies I'd have just told them where to stick it.

I'm not one of those conspiracy people who are claiming Sony did this on purpose or anything like that. I think they didn't thoroughly test the firmware and it caused drive failures for a small number of people (I work in a test lab, this sort thing happens all the time). Not much to be done about unfortunately because Sony will never fess up. So either I can stand up for what I believe is right and wait for a fix that's never coming or pay out the ass to get my console fixed and move on.

What I want to know is that if they do actually issue a fix for this issue, can I get my money back? I doubt it, but that would be an interesting situation.

Tempest

This happened right after you did an update? I've read about this happening to quite a few people. It could just be a coincidence, but even if it isn't you'd never get a company to admit their error that's for sure... :(

Yep. The return box should arrive today so I'm out $180 to get this thing fixed. Like I said, there's no way you can get them to admit it so this is all I can do. I'm never buying another Sony product though, that's for damn sure. I can remember when Sony stood for quality, now it's just over priced mediocrity.

Tempest

Not that my PS3 is broken, but just curious.. what happens if you have a Japanese system? Will they give you a replacement Japanese system and casing, or give you a common piano black console?

If their recent policies and replies to complaints are any indication, they probably will send you a U.S. PS2 and tell you you should have assumed that's what was going to happen.

Wow.. what cheap skates. How dare they take my PS3 and give me a PS2 back! ;) :P

Wow.. what cheap skates. How dare they take my PS3 and give me a PS2 back! ;) :P

If the one you gave is not BC, then the one you got is a better console with a better game library :P

It's probably a dead laser. It happens. I know my late model system has two lasers... one for DVDs and CDs, and the other for Blu-Ray discs. I guess the rationale was that the separate laser took some of the workload off the Blu-Ray laser, allowing it to last longer.

Sadly, the lasers are really expensive to replace, averaging about ninety dollars. You'll also have to buy a laser for that particular model, and given its age that might prove difficult.

If the one you gave is not BC, then the one you got is a better console with a better game library :P

I made sure that they were going to give THE EXACT SAME model before I agreed to have it sent it. They tried to sell me a shiny new 120GB slim and I told them where to stick it.

Tempest

Tempest.... you said it was costing you $180 to fix your PS3? I'm curious as to why $180, because I thought I read posts on the official PS3 forums from others who sent their console in for repair that it was $100 to fix a PS3.

Just curious.

Mendon

Well it's really $150 + $29 shipping. I think it would have only been $120 if I was willing to swap my old 60GB FAT for a 120GB Slim, but then I'd lose the backwards compatibility and to me that's a deal breaker. I have no idea where the $100 number is coming from.

Tempest

Well it's really $150 + $29 shipping. I think it would have only been $120 if I was willing to swap my old 60GB FAT for a 120GB Slim, but then I'd lose the backwards compatibility and to me that's a deal breaker. I have no idea where the $100 number is coming from.

Tempest

Me. I paid 100 bucks plus shipping included if I remember. Unless my memory fails me. I don't have the old emails from them or anything but I know for sure I didnt pay $150. They didnt give me options either since the slim wasn't out. They simply gave me a new 60GB unit. All the other models were out, most of which were non-BC.

I know it was around 100 bucks (maybe 120 with shipping if I'm wrong due to memory) cause my 360 was free when it died and I remember I was pissed at having to shell out 100 to Sony. I still honestly can say that it wasn't in the 150 range at all.

Well I guess they just don't like me then. I told them the problem and they gave me the price.

All I can guess is that the increased price is because (I think) they're actually repairing the unit rather than just giving me a new/refurb one. I don't think they have any spare 60GB units anymore.

Tempest

I saw this too late to assist but if anyone else is reading this thread, the same thing happened to me with a launch 60GB model about a year and a half ago. Sony wanted $150 to replace it which outraged me so I bought a replacement blu ray drive for my model off of Ebay. It cost $150 after shipping but at least Sony didn't get my money and I have noticed the prices on these have dropped on ebay since I got one (Christmas '08). In checking on the net, this has happened to a lot of people and I think Sony definitely had problems with this model that they are not admitting to. I don't like MS but at least they eventually did the right thing and fixed people's consoles for free. Mine died at the 15 month mark.

Edited by VW

• 6 months later...

I had this same problem a few weeks after I bought an 80GB PS3 second hand. It was out of warranty, and I was extremely pissed off at the prospect of giving Sony $150 to repair a unit that was not even 2 years old. I just can’t stand how unreliable modern electronics can be, it’s pathetic.

Ultimately, I refused to give Sony my money. I hopped on eBay and bought a replacement laser module with the plan to do the repair myself. It’s a bit of a process to do the replacment but if you’re slow and meticulous it’s doable. In the end I was back up and running for about $60, if I recall correctly.