IGNORED

7800 - New graphics mode 160C

GroovyBee

Very cool! Can't wait to see some games use this!

This technique is only useful for static screens that consume gobs of ROM space. Consider that APAC mode on the 8-bits has been around for nearly 20 years, yet no games have used it in all that time (as far as I'm aware).

• Like 1

This technique is only useful for static screens that consume gobs of ROM space. Consider that APAC mode on the 8-bits has been around for nearly 20 years, yet no games have used it in all that time (as far as I'm aware).

Might make some nice title screens though.

You heard the challenge GroovyBee. Get to work!

• Like 1

You just go on believing that vector games can't be done on the 7800 ZB and I'll just keep on coding the impossible :lolblue:. The 7800 isn't the A8 computer and vice-versa. The limitations/strengths of one may or may not apply to the other. I'll leave it at that :ponder:.

• Like 5

GroovyBee, you never cease to amaze me. You are leaps and bounds ahead of us on what you can make the 7800 do, and I'm almost embarrassed to call myself a 7800 developer now. :) (I mean that as a compliment).

Thanks for the huge compliment Bob. The 7800 is a very interesting console to program for and I enjoy spending time finding out what it can and can't do.

BTW, thanks for mentioning me in that demo. That was very nice of you.

No problem!

Amazing work, mate!

As long as we all keep on pushing the 7800 forward the homebrew games will get better and better.

• Like 1

You just go on believing that vector games can't be done on the 7800 ZB and I'll just keep on coding the impossible

Coming from you of all people, this is an astoundingly stupid post. Obviously the 7800 can do vector graphics, because F-18 Hornet exists. If you'd bother reading that post you linked to, you'd notice that all I say is that vector games on the 7800 do/will look like crap, because there's not enough RAM on a default sytem to do a full-screen single-line resolution frame buffer.

• Like 1

Drac certainly picked a spectacular manner in which to admit he doesn't know what the phrase "Coming from you of all people" means.

I was just wondering what amazing new 7800 game your going to be releasing any time soon?

Can I give this post another vote?

For all ZB talks, I've yet to see him release anything.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Came across this thread while browsing for artifact demos. I don't have direct working experience with PAL, but from what I've read of this technique (which I've seen described else where) - this shouldn't look so hot on an NTSC set. No NTSC SD set I've ever seen has a two scanline vertical accumulation filter. Am I missing something?

That's about right.

PAL is crap for artifacting if the machine's pixel clock doesn't match up with the colour clock which is "Yes" in the case of most computers.

NTSC is crap for modes like 160C, APAC, TIP and the like because it doesn't do colour averaging between scanlines.

The effect will work (kinda) but look best if viewed from a distance.

• 11 years later...
On 4/23/2010 at 7:12 PM, GroovyBee said:

You could do some interesting filled 3D polygon's with the technique. However, I've no idea about MARIA's fill rate. With enough RAM on cart its also possible to do software sprites. I'll see if I can work a game around it.

Yes yes yes!!!! I'd love to see polygons on an 8 bit console displaying more colors than a genesis!

On 11/17/2010 at 8:30 PM, Rybags said:

That's about right.

PAL is crap for artifacting if the machine's pixel clock doesn't match up with the colour clock which is "Yes" in the case of most computers.

NTSC is crap for modes like 160C, APAC, TIP and the like because it doesn't do colour averaging between scanlines.

The effect will work (kinda) but look best if viewed from a distance.

Well, NTSC isn't crap; I tested it on my HDTV and it works FINE, using a 2007 TV and my STOCK 7800.

Edited by Ecernosoft