IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption

cimerians

Anyone looking forward to this? I'm still looking for the best western themed shooter. I don't think anyone has made one yet.

I'm a big spaghetti-western fan and I liked the original game somewhat but I always wanted it to be an open world. This may fit the bill. I may pre-order this.

I'm completely convinced. I think it looks brilliant. Can't wait.

Great release day. Alan Wake (finally!), Red Dead Revolver and Prince of Persia back the way it should be all on the same day. Can't wait. I think Red Dead Revolver may be game of the year material, but we'll see.

Gun was cool and I didn't hate Call of Juarez, but this looks to be WAY beyond those.

These clips should change anyone's mind who is still on the fence. I don't know how anyone can watch these two videos and not make a poop with excitement for this one...

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14320288/red-dead-redemption/videos/reddeadr_trl_feature_121509.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14320288/red-dead-redemption/videos/reddead_trl_livingwest1_31710.html

I'm guessing you have played GUN. The best western themed shooter to date I think.

Wait....how did I miss that??

Need to get a demo pronto.

Gun was cool and I didn't hate Call of Juarez, but this looks to be WAY beyond those.

I know, I never got Juarez mainly because of all the reviews. I think its a good game but I'm looking for something more.

These clips should change anyone's mind who is still on the fence. I don't know how anyone can watch these two videos and not make a poop with excitement for this one...

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14320288/red-dead-redemption/videos/reddeadr_trl_feature_121509.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14320288/red-dead-redemption/videos/reddead_trl_livingwest1_31710.html

Damn, looks fantastic.

Really? Yeah try it out. You can probably find the 360 version for like $10 these days. Although really it's just the PS2/Xbox version with slightly spruced up graphics. It's dated these days I imagine but years ago I thought it was the best western video game! (sorry Outlaw)

You can probably find the 360 version for like $10

How in the world did I miss this. I really wasn't looking for westerns until now, so I guess this slipped under the radar over the years. Yup, I see it everywhere for cheap. I'll probably get it if I like the demo. Don't mind older games especially at a good deal.

Don't mind older games especially at a good deal.

I think if you DO mind older games, we would have to kick you off AA ! icon_wink.gif

I think if you DO mind older games, we would have to kick you off AA !

lol

I love old games, I understand when someone complains about the blocky graphics of the n64 or the PS1.....or even the 2600. I could care less though. If its fun, I get used to the graphics all over again, just like in 1981. (or 1995 or 2005)

How in the world did I miss this. I really wasn't looking for westerns until now, so I guess this slipped under the radar over the years. Yup, I see it everywhere for cheap. I'll probably get it if I like the demo. Don't mind older games especially at a good deal.

It was an easy one to miss, mainly because of what moycon mentioned (it was pretty much an original XBOX game, released on the 360) I am not saying that is a bad thing, just at a $60 pricetag most people will pass when it comes out. I can't remember how the reviews were for it, I personally never played it.

Anyone looking forward to this? I'm still looking for the best western themed shooter. I don't think anyone has made one yet.

Have you not played Sunset Riders?

Oh hell yes....thats a fantastic game. I loved it on the Genesis. I am mainly talking about more modern stuff. For oldies its hard to beat Sunset Riders.

Gunsmoke was a fun arcade game and the NES version wasn't too bad. Law of the West for the old C64 was great too.

• 1 month later...

Having now played and finished Red Dead Redemption, I can honestly say that this game is one of the best games this year. It's easily the best western-genre game ever. The only thing it's missing is Clint Eastwood.

I'd now much rather see Rockstar do more sequels to this than GTA.

Having now played and finished Red Dead Redemption, I can honestly say that this game is one of the best games this year. It's easily the best western-genre game ever. The only thing it's missing is Clint Eastwood.

I'd now much rather see Rockstar do more sequels to this than GTA.

Red Dead Redemption is a sequel to Red Dead Revolver

• 1 month later...

I admit, I haven't played this game in about a month. However, I was able to finish well over 65% of it and still have some missions left to do for Marsten's wife/son and the uncle of the kid.

I'm going to wait until I move to a new place before I re-assess my game collection and make a better attempt to utilize it. Until then, this is the only game that's been able to hold my attention and the fun part is that I don't need to cheat to enjoy it. It's pretty much non-linear at points with high replay value.

I borrowed this game for a few days and really enjoyed it. To say it's GTA IV in the wild west doesn't do the game justice. The only part I really didn't like were the missions on the ranch early on, but once I got through those the game got a lot better. Too bad I had to return it so soon :(

• 1 month later...

I got this game last night and played for about 6 hours. I'm not seeing the greatness here, it really is just GTA wild west style. I hated GTA4. I feel stupid for letting people convince me that the game wasn't anything like GTA when that's exactly what it is. I really did know that Rockstar can't do anything but this type of game, so it's my fault for a moment of weakness and gullibility. I'm very pissed off because I spent $60 on the damn game.

The trailers and videos I watched did make this game look unique, but that's video editing for you. It has really awesome graphics and a very well put together story, but you get 2 seconds of action for every 10 minutes of riding your horse through empty desert. I really hate any game where you have to go back-n-forth over and over and over again, and this game is plagued with that problem. Here's the game in a nutshell: Accept a bounty or a task from a townsfolk, ride for 10 minutes to some remote desert location, complete mission, ride 10 minutes back to town, gain money. Oh, and you can jump on any horse, or steal any horse you want. How is that not GTA?

I hate to say it but I'm probably taking this game straight to one of the local used game retailers for a trade in or cash today. I might even be done completely with xbox 360 for new games. I'm ready for an entire new console at this point. Man I'm freaking hot! :x

Hey, your great grandparents had to ride for more than 10 minutes to get from monument valley to mexico, so it's just relative. Sure you have to ride a lot, but hey what can you expect else from a western based shooter. I didn't have much of a problem with riding. All those random events where kind of funny. I also liked to hunt for dear when i was going around, so i never had to much trouble with ridding that much.

But if it's not you're kind of game thats no problem. There is plenty of choice. I can imagine you're frustration, paying 60 dollar for a game and it turns out to be not you're kind of game. Had the same with Assassin's Creed. Looked great, got decent score, but was way to repetitive.

I hate to say it but I'm probably taking this game straight to one of the local used game retailers for a trade in or cash today.

Not sure I understand why'd you'd be done with a video game system because you picked up the one game you knew was going to be like GTA, not liking GTA in the least. You can blame the advertising, but I've seen the same advertisements (There are about 4 trailers free on Live) and had saw nothing that didn't indicate actual gameplay was anything other than a GTA style game set in the old west. In a similar situation, I'd blame myself rather than the system. :cool:

If you want I'll trade you another 360 game (or two or three depending on the games) for RDR.

It's a game I've been wanting. I wasn't a huge fan of the last GTA IV but I do think the old west twist is cool enough to keep my interest longer than that game did.

I hate to say it but I'm probably taking this game straight to one of the local used game retailers for a trade in or cash today.

Not sure I understand why'd you'd be done with a video game system because you picked up the one game you knew was going to be like GTA, not liking GTA in the least. You can blame the advertising, but I've seen the same advertisements (There are about 4 trailers free on Live) and had saw nothing that didn't indicate actual gameplay was anything other than a GTA style game set in the old west. In a similar situation, I'd blame myself rather than the system. :cool:

If you want I'll trade you another 360 game (or two or three depending on the games) for RDR.

It's a game I've been wanting. I wasn't a huge fan of the last GTA IV but I do think the old west twist is cool enough to keep my interest longer than that game did.

Eh the trailers made it look like there was a ton more action in the game. I'm more or less just frustrated by the pure boredom of riding the horse from location to location. I went and bought Call of Juarez: BiB which seems to be a fine game so far. I'm going to revisit RDR after I play through this game.

• 1 month later...

Got an itch yesterday and bought the game after reading various reviews.

Upon loading the game, I got this fuzzy feeling that I was on to something epic. From the first steps into the game until now, it's one of those rare moments when I remember why I bought the Xbox in the first place: for stunning gameplay experiences.

While there are many elements of GTA IV incorporated into a different theme and one obviously has to like both to get something out of the game, I am thrilled. It's more like living the Wild West, not just playing a remote character.

For my taste, Rockstar could have even be more generous and allow for complete sandbox playing right from the very first step off the train. You need to accomplish some missions before you can ride, take the train, the carriage, play poker, etc. It could have been done different allowing for everything possible right from the start and everyone's spinning their own story until you really want to get into the plot.

Nevertheless, while I've had endless hours of fun playing everything 8-bit, 16-bit, and now "nextgen", this is one of a few games when I thank the Almighty that I am still around to enjoy current game engineering. (okay, I'm not thaaaaat old). Now, if they can incorporate kinect in an awesome way to play Rockstar-style games, plus 3D, plus surround.....well, I'm getting carried away....