IGNORED

Really Getting PO'd With Everything

Mendon

Boy, if I'm ever on the fence about buying a modern console, I just read these threads, give my head a vigorous shake, and continue playing the 2600.

I agree, but play up to the "last generation" in addition to the 2600. I've been waiting for the "smoke to clear" with all the problems, and it never seems to, completely. At least the prices are getting lower! Imagine those folks who paid $600 for PS3! Maybe when it hits $150 they'll have it sorted out, and a real Gran Turismo game to play too.

Boy, if I'm ever on the fence about buying a modern console, I just read these threads, give my head a vigorous shake, and continue playing the 2600.

I agree, but play up to the "last generation" in addition to the 2600. I've been waiting for the "smoke to clear" with all the problems, and it never seems to, completely. At least the prices are getting lower! Imagine those folks who paid $600 for PS3! Maybe when it hits $150 they'll have it sorted out, and a real Gran Turismo game to play too.

Yep me too and I'm hoping there aren't too many problems with the Wii compared to the other two. My wife and I decided to buy one for my daughter in June when she passes grade 6. There are a lot of those Petz games and other animal games that she likes and I've always wanted to try Wii Sports. :)

Sorry for the rant, I look forward to more allsome youtube vids. You and classic game room are the only reasons I go to youtube anymore (too much stupid crap on there). I always look forward to your new finds at the end of the day. You do a great job, got me interested in atari and look forward to more, keep up the great work! icon_smile.gif

No problem and I understand your viewpoint completely. :)

In response, technically, it was mandatory. Oh sure, I could choose not to update in order to keep Linux capability. But then I'd lose access to all online gaming and access to the PSN store. Nice trade off.

The new TOS is worded in such a way that continued use of any Sony device or software is considered agreement to the new TOS. So, if you don't agree to the new TOS, you're not even supposed to power on your PS3 while disconnected from the internet.

Even if that weren't the case, it still means that you can't ever play a new disc game on the PS3. All games come with the latest firmware and the new TOS, and require accepting it before its even possible to play. If you don't agree with the TOS, your investment in the PS3 ends now.

I was beginning to think I had jumped a little too far when I said years ago that the generation of hardware following this one would be leased set-top boxes. But the action of all three of the console manufacturers proves they already consider consoles to be their property simply leased to us on a temporary basis. Games like Final Fight Double Impact show we're really talking about buying a subscription instead of the games themselves. And Sony's new TOS proves they're considering deleting and locking out old games you might play which don't make them any more money.

But truthfully, I thought we'd see this first with something like a Madden title. Why would EA want people to be even able to play last year's version of the game when the new one is on the shelf? I figured we'd see the old yearly iterative games like that get disabled to encourage purchase of "licenses" of the new games.

I just added a post in the Final Fight thread about problems with the "Star Wars Dark Forces" download and all Sony says is "Not our problem. Contact LucasArts". And they continue to sell it even though they are aware of problems. And, as of today, Sony still hasn't changed the game description of Final Fight to notify customers that it is online only.

I've enjoyed the hell out of my PS3 and it has been my system of choice for over a year now. But recently, Sony is exhibiting a total lack of customer service, in my opinion, and as a customer, I will not be treated in such a manner. My days as a Sony customer are seriously numbered if this trend continues.

Mendon

At least your PS3 didn't die because of the forced firmware update. I can't think of one PS3 exclusive that I really want to play at this point (maybe Demon Souls). I should have gotten the 360 from the start, it's turned out to be the machine I thought the PS3 would be.

Tempest

At least your PS3 didn't die because of the forced firmware update. I can't think of one PS3 exclusive that I really want to play at this point (maybe Demon Souls). I should have gotten the 360 from the start, it's turned out to be the machine I thought the PS3 would be.

Tempest

Be careful what you wish for. The 360 seemingly improved their hardware with time. The PS3 seems to be going in reverse in terms of firmware updates and fat machines. Many of my friends had multiple 360 machines that broke more than a few times and beleive me the frustration level is beyond what your experiencing. Yes because of firmware updates and bad hardware.

When it comes to software at least Microsoft is cut and dry unlike Sony and their vague agreements. But they did stop supporting Xbox BC not too long after the 360 came out (many games are poorly emulated IMO). At least it seems they don't allow idiots like Capcom to do whatever they want (with DRM).

Again, don't think Microsoft is any better. They ain't. They just look a lot better now that Sony is screwing up. I remember issues with Xbox 360 Oblivion freezing up years ago (the old cache issue) and the Ninja Gaiden 2 patch that freezes your game.

The PS3 is currently having issues with Dragon Age due to the latest firmware.

I'm sick of all the online shit. ie. Xboxlive\PSN\DLC\Patches.

The reason I got away from PC gaming in the first place was because of all the patching, updates and DRM not to mention the costs of upgrading (in the old days).

It sucks!

While I agree that both MS and Sony leave something to be desired, do you really expect MS to support a dead system like the original xbox on live forever? I don't think that's really a fair criticism at all. Lets see how long Sony supports the PS3 on the playstation network after the ps4 is released....

While I agree that both MS and Sony leave something to be desired, do you really expect MS to support a dead system like the original xbox on live forever? I don't think that's really a fair criticism at all. Lets see how long Sony supports the PS3 on the playstation network after the ps4 is released....

Your post explains exactly one of my complaints with the recent release of Final Fight on the PS3: servers won't be online forever so why tie a game like Final Fight to PSN so that in the future, when Sony no longer supports PSN, it becomes unplayable??

But more importantly, Sony and Capcom didn't include "ONLINE ONLY" in the description of the game so that I could make an informed decision before making my purchase. I wouldn't have purchased the game if I had known. And Sony refuses to issue a refund, telling me its **MY** error that I purchased the game.

Removing features from my console at any time for any reason; changing firmware that renders older games unplayable; DRM's; trying to control the sale of used games; and on and on. My Dreamcast, Saturn, SNES, and PS2 are looking better and better and better.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Removing features from my console at any time for any reason; changing firmware that renders older games unplayable; DRM's; trying to control the sale of used games; and on and on.

Yes, this goes without saying. Sony has been behaving more than a bit strange lately towards it's gaming customers.... :thumbsdown:

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to re-open old wounds or even memories of bad ex's.

:P

http://www.gamenewshq.com/news/518286

Add another company who doesn't care about you to the list.....Square.

Its like:

- Release game - Forget about it - Work on sequel - Repeat

Abandon all the people who bought your game, or just send out meaningless apologies.

At least the good folks at Dragon Age for example care enough to release patches and support their game. The guys who did Rock Band 1 and 2 even change features of the game itself if enough people ask enough.

What a big difference.

Add another company who doesn't care about you to the list.....Square.

Trying to get me going, eh??? ;)

I had been looking forward to buying two games that were recently released: Red Dead Redemption and Modnation Racers. But with what I consider to be all the crap that is/was taking place, I decided to take a pass on both games and give my PS3 & Xbox360 a rest for awhile. And rather than post another rant (and risk being accused of suffering from feelings of self-entitlement) I decided to just ignore the current situation and try a couple of other things to have some fun. I'll pass along two things I've tried so far:

1) I decided to take my Red Dead & Modnation money and invest in some Wii games that interested me. From a couple of vendors at a local flea market, I was able to buy Red Steel 2, Endless Ocean 2, Super Mario Bros. Wii, The Conduit, and Dawn of Discovery. Each one of these games is a blast and I'm really enjoying each onel of them, with Dawn of Discovery surprising me as to just how involved it is. (Side Note: the online mode of Conduit is very, very good but the skill of the players online is not to be believed!!) Plus, I got all five games for a few dollars less than what Red Dead & Modnation would have cost me at full price.

2) I was talking with a good friend in Chicago and on a whim, we both decided to hook up our Saturns, plug in our NetLinks, and try some online gaming. For just over three hours, we had an INCREDIBLE time playing Duke Nukem, Bomberman, and Sega Rally, and at the end of our session, we decided to make it a regular event. Both of us have all five NetLink games (though I still have to replace my broken Twin Sticks for Virtual On) and figure those games will keep us satisfied for quite some time.

My methods might not work for everyone, but after a little over three weeks of not firing up my PS3 or Xbox360 or spending any money on them, I find that I'm happy, content, smiling, and sleeping well at night :D

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Thats great stuff. Saturn...I need to revisit my Saturn soon. I don't have those games you have though. I have Clockwork and Bug and some others, mostly platformers and some rpg's.

I've been messing with the Doom and the gameroom on the 360 (I got a replacement unit).

I've been doing a lot of Wii gaming too, mostly Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon LOL. My kid and girlfriend like those so I end up playing them too.

I've also fired up HERO and River Raid on the Wii (Razored's Atari emulator) and played them a lot last week.

Yup its good advice, thanks for the mini reviews for the Wii

Check this out, I love devs who actually care about the games and their fans. I was asking about the new PSN\XLA game M&M Clash of Heroes :

http://www.capybaragames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=179

Note - I was really being nice. I do dislike DRM but didn't want to piss them off. He DID respond though and thats really cool.

I decided to take a pass on both games and give my PS3 & Xbox360 a rest for awhile.

I did the same thing with my 360 (don't own a PS3), I haven't played it in over a month. i got tired of playing games riddled with bugs and glitches they seem to never fix or patch.

who wants to play a game online where the game allows someone to cheat because of a glitch that's been in the game since the game has been released and they have been told about it.

i just got fed up with it.

I was just watching a youtube video where someone was describing how EA will charge $10 for a registration code to play online if you buy a used copy of one of their games?! :-o

Wow, I had no idea how greedy these companies were getting. Just another nail in the coffin of modern gaming IMO. I think we need another crash to reset the industry. This crap is getting outta hand.

Lets see if I can sum this up - even if I do spend hundreds of dollars on a console, and it somehow doesn't experience a premature catastrophic failure, and I somehow don't suffer any adverse affects from DRM or firmware updates that will either cripple my console or render some features of a previously purchased game useless, and I'd like to save a little money buying a used copy of a game because the current prices of new have increased from the previous generation, I'll still have to fork out more money on top of that just to play features of a game I just bought which is most likely poorly programmed and glitchy to begin with and no patches in sight? Does this sum up the current gaming industry that these companies want me to buy into?

No thanks - keep your 360's, PS3's and Wii's. I'll go play Atari.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Lets see if I can sum this up

You forgot to mention that more and more of the actual game is being cut out and offered separately as DLC, usually for extra nickels and dimes over the full price of the game, and how features of the console themselves (in the PS3's case) is being removed now and then with required firmware updates, and how games that work perfectly on launch day might BECOME bug infested coasters with required firmware updates without you yourself "tampering" with the box. (See Dragon Age)

I'm sure there are extra things we're both forgetting to add at the moment, but yeah, you summed up a lot of stuff there.