IGNORED

Record of Agarest War

Tempest

I ordered the 360 version, but it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully it will ship today.

I was going to stop by a Gamestop and take a look at it, but according to the website no Gamestop in 100 miles of me has it. I wonder if this is a pre-order only type thing or the system is screwed up again.

Tempest

I ordered the 360 version, but it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully it will ship today.

I was going to stop by a Gamestop and take a look at it, but according to the website no Gamestop in 100 miles of me has it. I wonder if this is a pre-order only type thing or the system is screwed up again.

Tempest

Not sure. You know I pre-ordered this game over a month ago, and if you go to Amazon it says it's available but mine hasn't shipped yet. Should have been available to ship yesterday. In fact some time Amazon ships a day or two before the actual release day. What you just said makes me wonder if they actually have the physical game yet even though the website states they do.

Any get this yet? Is it any good? I was thinking about downloading it for the PS3 since I don't need the 'extras' the boxed 360 version comes with.

Tempest

Everyone needs Mouse boobies!!!!

Mendon

Sorry, that's why I have a wife. ;)

Tempest

I pre-ordered it from Amazon, and since I always use their Free Shipping feature, I never expect a game to arrive until 6 or 7 days after I order it. But they surprised me as I received an Email yesterday that my copy was on its way and its expected delivery was May 3rd.

Mendon

Tempest

Apparently Gamestop has been told by upper management in a memo (According to Kotaku) to keep the game behind the counter away from "innocent eyes". So if you don't see it on display, ask the clerk if they have it. At the ebgames near me I noticed they had it put in the glass display behind the counter.

Apparently Gamestop has been told by upper management in a memo (According to Kotaku) to keep the game behind the counter away from "innocent eyes". So if you don't see it on display, ask the clerk if they have it. At the ebgames near me I noticed they had it put in the glass display behind the counter.

Actually, when I went to get the game Monday (god forbid Gamestop put the release date rather than the shipping date up), I was told if I didn't pre-order then and there that I wouldn't be able to get it because absolutely no one had pre-ordered, meaning they weren't going to send any copies.

Apparently pre-orders gauge consumer interest in that area. :P

I got home from work and the game was waiting for me. I've just got done playing a bit.

I'm left with a very positive opinion. First off, there is a LOT of similarity between this game and Cross Edge for the PS3. The menus are the same. The crafting is the same. The way you accumulate items to expand your recipie and combo lists is the same. Advancement systems are the same. The only thing which has been switched out is combat, which maintains the Cross Edge action point system. Anyone who liked Cross Edge will be right at home with this game.

The combat system is a traditional square grid tactical system. Anyone who liked Final Fantasy Tactics back on the PS1 will be right at home. Only in this game you can chain attacks together similar to Cross Edge. Character positions can also enable massive co-op attacks.

The one kind of strange thing is how you must move all your characters, then watch the enemy move, then perform actions during an action phase. It's kind of similar to Vandal Hearts II, but not really. The enemies don't seem to do the irritating Vandal Hearts II thing of avoiding all combat.

So yeah. This game takes the basic system of Cross Edge, which I've grown to adore, and mixes it with Final Fantasy Tactics, which is one of my favorite classic games. My first impression is that this one is a runaway winner.

And I'm rubbing my face against the bottom of the mousepad right now. OOOOO baby! Let's do some soul breeding!

Gabriel, personally, I see it as that sleeper hit that comes from nowhere, takes the best of everything, mixes it together and becomes the definitive experience and garners a cult following, rather than reaching mainstream popularity.

Awesome review Gabriel! I know you are a huge SRPG fan so now I really can't wait for mine. (Just checked, mine still hasn't shipped but they did change the status to...We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed., so I'm assuming that is a good sign.

In the mean time I'm grinding through Spectral Force 3. Just curious if you played this game and what you thought of it? It looks pretty rough (Xbox quality) and it's not an easy game in my opinion, but so far I'm really liking it, especially now that after 10+ hours I'm unlocking achievements right and left!! :thumbsup:

In the mean time I'm grinding through Spectral Force 3. Just curious if you played this game and what you thought of it? It looks pretty rough (Xbox quality) and it's not an easy game in my opinion, but so far I'm really liking it, especially now that after 10+ hours I'm unlocking achievements right and left!! :thumbsup:

I didn't get Spectral Force 3. IIRC, it came out in a rapid fire succession along with Zoids Assault and Operation Darkness. It may be immensely unfair, but Operation Darkness sort of colored my opinions negatively on those three releases. While I find professional reviews pretty worthless, especially in regards to turn based RPGs, I noticed the trait of "grindiness" popping up in just about every review. So, I skipped the game on that basis, even when it dropped down to $20.

Off topic but is Cross Edge worth picking up? It got so-so reviews and I fear anything from NIS because of the extreme grinding the games require.

Extremely off topic, what are some good SRPGs for modern systems? I really want a modern version of Shining Force!

Tempest

Off topic but is Cross Edge worth picking up? It got so-so reviews and I fear anything from NIS because of the extreme grinding the games require.

I love it. I even bought all the DLC. I'm that batshit insane crazy about it.

But it is grindy as hell. To play it you really have to enjoy the combat system and the basic joy of leveling characters up. You REALLY have to get into that part of the game. Why?

Well, the rest of the game is pressing the square button to scan EVERY SQUARE INCH OF THE WHOLE GODDAMN WORLD. I'm not exaggerating or mischaracterizing there. You MUST walk over every pixel of the world multiple times. I cannot understate this.

Have you played Pokemon Diamond/Pearl? You know how you have to tap the touchscreen radar to ping the area and find some hidden items? Cross Edge is like that all the damn time. You have to do that to find anything at all, even towns and mandatory plot triggers.

But the combat system is awesome. You played Enchanted Arms too, right? The combat engine has some superficial similarities to that. Your characters are on a grid and the enemies are on an opposite grid. What characters you use and where you position them determines how they attack. While Enchanted Arms has a lot of movement and positioning, Cross Edge is more focused on comboing attacks. It feels something like punching out a fighting game combo string in play.

But the combat system is awesome. You played Enchanted Arms too, right? The combat engine has some superficial similarities to that. Your characters are on a grid and the enemies are on an opposite grid. What characters you use and where you position them determines how they attack. While Enchanted Arms has a lot of movement and positioning, Cross Edge is more focused on comboing attacks. It feels something like punching out a fighting game combo string in play.

LOVED Enchanted Arms (I was probably one of the few).

I don't mind grinding to gain levels, what I do hate is grinding to level up EVERYTHING. Disgaea turned me off so badly because you had to grind (using the slow clunky combat engine) to even level up items! How bad is the grinding in Cross Edge (and RoAW) compared to Disgaea?

I'd really like another Jonne D'Arc type game, that's the reason I got a PSP. I was hoping the PS3 or 360 (or even Wii) would get something similar.

Tempest

I'd really like another Jonne D'Arc type game, that's the reason I got a PSP. I was hoping the PS3 or 360 (or even Wii) would get something similar.

Me too...but I hate playing portables cause of the small screens etc. I still play my PSP and DS but its just too damn small especially for tactical games.

Wow what a surprise. I just received notice earlier in the day my copy finally shipped.

I was a bit bummed because other people that pre-ordered already had their copy.

Anyways it looks like they over nighted my copy to make up for it! It's being shipped by Velocity Express and has the delivery date listed as tomorrow!! :thumbsup: