IGNORED

AA Request

LinkoVitch

We've gotten this request several times and we agree that it would be useful to have the rarity lists available on other devices (PPCs, Palms, phones, etc.) After we get a few other projects out of the way, we'll see about whipping up some CSV lists. Maybe even generate them on the fly based on a rarity guide query (so you can get just the 2600 games produced by Atari, for instance).

Moving this to the Rarity Guide forum.

..Al

OOPS! Sorry about posting in wrong place! :)

If you like I can probably create necissary code/script to produce a CSV from the Rarity db (assuming it's on a DB) if you like (most of my time at work is spend developing CGI->DB related packages/groupware)

If you let me know the layout of the db table(s) and db type I can have a stab at it, save you some work?

If you'd rather do it yourself I'm cool with that too :)

No problem. You did that just to get my attention, right? ;)

If you like I can probably create necissary code/script to produce a CSV from the Rarity db (assuming it's on a DB) if you like (most of my time at work is spend developing CGI->DB related packages/groupware)

Everything is stored in a database. If we generate the lists dynamically based on the Rarity guide Queries, then it's probably easiest for us to just write the export code. Compared to generating multi-page, nicely formatted HTML tables, creating CSV files will be a piece of cake. :) We will probably also create a cron job to generate updated lists about once a week and post them somewhere on the site for easy download. Thanks for the offer, though..

What information would you like to see in such a list? Here is what I am thinking:

[*]Title

[*]Company

[*]Label Type

[*]Rarity

That's probably sufficient for import into a PDA just to have lists of titles handy. If foreign titles (for the 2600, mainly) are included, we can include two additional fields, region and TV type (NTSC/PAL).

..Al

No problem. You did that just to get my attention, right? ;)

:)

Everything is stored in a database.  If we generate the lists dynamically based on the Rarity guide Queries, then it's probably easiest for us to just write the export code.  Compared to generating multi-page, nicely formatted HTML tables, creating CSV files will be a piece of cake.  :)  We will probably also create a cron job to generate updated lists about once a week and post them somewhere on the site for easy download.  Thanks for the offer, though..

No worries, just thought I'd make the offer as you are busy with other projects :) sounds like your running on a UNIX esq system which makes me like your site even more :)

SQL->CSV like you said is easy peasy, you can do it with shell scripts and the interactive parsers with PostgreSQL and mySQL VERY easily (bit of the old sed action :) )

What information would you like to see in such a list?  Here is what I am thinking:  

[*]Title

[*]Company

[*]Label Type

[*]Rarity

That's probably sufficient for import into a PDA just to have lists of titles handy.  If foreign titles (for the 2600, mainly) are included, we can include two additional fields, region and TV type (NTSC/PAL).

That seems about all really, deffinately the PAL/NTSC field... perhaps ommit this if both PAL & NTSC have the same rarity? just to save on rows.

Can't wait till it's availible :) Thanks