IGNORED

VIC-20 prototype release (Tac-Scan by Sega)

Psionic

Pingvin sadly seems to have disappeared... hopefully he'll reappear.

Welcome back from the dead. :skull:

This game will be released in early 2013. I have basically everything done from a design standpoint (box, manual, cartridge label)...I just need to wrap it all up and move on with actual production. More info soon. If anyone else is interested or has any Sega VIC-20 cartridges to donate or sell, please contact me.

• 2 weeks later...

If its not to late, could I put my name down for one. I don't have any Sega Carts but willing to pay extra.

Cheers

I'll add you to the list of interested persons.

Wow, glad to see you still around. I should be on the orginal list, glad to see you still moving forward with this project.

Yes, you are on my list. For anyone who has been following this project right from the beginning, I apologize for the numerous stalls and delays. I'm really committed to getting this thing out very soon. Things are moving along.

Both need some minor adjustments, but here's a sample of the box and label....

post-9346-0-23350600-1357934781_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice! I have not seen many VIC-20 protos out there, thanks for the info!

Not very many have turned up, which is a shame, since there are probably more out there somewhere. A copy of a game called "Bomber Word" by Tymac was found back in 2011. As I recall, that cartridge was originally thought to be dead, but it was able to be revived. The ROM was extracted and the game is now included on the VIC-20 Mega-Cart.

The VIC died a rather quick death as a gaming machine with the arrival of the Commodore 64 and many titles in development were cancelled. I have received confirmation that there were also VIC-20 ports of Sub Scan and Ixion done at Sega, but the programmers didn't save any copies of their work, so those titles are not likely to have survived. :(

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I never got mine, and do not know what happened to this project.

I've hit a few snags (to say the least) over the course of this project, but I will eventually release this. The project is ~85% complete. I just need the time (and will) to finish up a few things. I would like to get this finished this year, as I know people have been waiting, and I also have another project on the back burner that I would like to eventually move forward with.

I have kept a list of people who have indicated interest (including a few who sent me donor cartridges) and I will contact everyone when the game is finally available for sale. Unfortunately, I can't promise you any more than that right now.

• Like 1

I've hit a few snags (to say the least) over the course of this project, but I will eventually release this. The project is ~85% complete. I just need the time (and will) to finish up a few things. I would like to get this finished this year, as I know people have been waiting, and I also have another project on the back burner that I would like to eventually move forward with.

I have kept a list of people who have indicated interest (including a few who sent me donor cartridges) and I will contact everyone when the game is finally available for sale. Unfortunately, I can't promise you any more than that right now.

Great to hear this project is still on. I would love to do a video of this project on my channel when it does get released.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been as well, but so far in over a year of hunting, I have only managed to find one Vic-20 cart in the wild, and it's not a Sega one. Does the donor cart have to be a Sega cart?

Aren't you the stickler, who likes to put things into the proper cases? :P

Yes, you got me there.

Truthfully, I don't collect for the Vic-20. And I have zero interest in it. However, something about this project caught my attention. And so I was merely trying to sneak my way into the cue by pretending to have been interested & involved since the beginning.

One of the biggest problems (or should I say dangers) with controlled community releases of previously unreleased / undumped prototype games, is that by the time you figure out whether or not the game ends up being a type-a or type-b, it's too late.

Somehow I missed this post, but I'm glad to hear you're still out there, not dead, and hoping to get this properly released in the future. I was wondering if you'd disappeared permanently or something, it's been quite a while!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this update, was wondering what was happening and glad to see that you kept track of those who sent in a donor!