IGNORED

SPECTRA

Opry99er

Hey all, I just wanted to take a second and thank Filip for his SPECTRA programming library! I downloaded it several months ago but JUST NOW understand much of what's there. If anyone is interested in learning assembly, having SPECTRA side by side with Matthew's Assembly thread, Magellan, and a cold brew is (IMHO) the best way to go. If anyone has any questions about SPECTRA, you can DL it from the resources thread here on our forum. It is brilliantly written and truly a great resource. I'm sure Filip will be happy to field any questions about his work. :)

SPECTRA programming library!

If anyone is interested in learning assembly, having SPECTRA.

I'm sure Filip will be happy to field any questions about his work. :)

I would want start to learn Ti99 Assembly but i do not know where to start !!! :-(

i just know elementary basic and extended basic programming... :-(

I have also had several shots over the years with a few books and the assembler tutorials found in the old TI club mags... For whatever reason the pieces have never fallen into place for my brain to grasp even the basics. I like to think of myself as still being quite a good XB programmer (I always found it quite natural), but assembly.... It's like the whole world is laughing at me every time I try and read an assembler article. :(

Hey man... It's understandable. I myself (before last year) didn't know a single lick ofany kind of programming at all. Ask and ye shall receive though. When I was working on my first game, "Lemonade Stand," in XB, I asked hundreds of questions and Marc Hull took me under his wing and showed me what makes up a game, how to implement it, and (most importantly) showed me you don't have to be a genius to figure stuff out. Then I moved to "Honeycomb Rapture," my second game. By that time, I understood the game-loop concept, how to implement moving graphics and how to keep track of variables, so it went much more smoothly. With "Honeycomb," I was able to utilize an amazing assembly routine that Matthew Hagerty wrote to implement real music into my game!!! Wow!

I just started really TRYING to code in assembly two weeks ago... Before that I was asking questions, assembling other people's source code, reading comments and studying Matthew's assembly thread here on Atariage. SPECTRA is the next logical step, as it contains many pre-made routines for writing games. Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79tJBPjkbFU&feature=youtube_gdata

it's my first working program in assembly. ***If you want to learn assembly, this is the place to do it. There are some brilliant minds here who love to help out. Start by looking in the "Resources" sticky thread at the top of this forum and find the "COMPUTE" Beginners Guide to assembly written by Lottrup. It's great!!! Really helped me out alot.

Edited by Opry99er

If one of you guys picks up the language, perhaps we could do a bit of collaboration!! Nothing makes for fast development and diverse ideas like collaboration. :) And Ciro, even if you don't get into assembly (and you SHOULD) I would really love to see a couple design ideas for the cover of the Beryl Reihardt manual. It's not going to look anything like the TI manuals. There will be a second book accompanying the game and the users manual as well. A "journeyers log" or something like that which will be totally separate from the manual. :)

If one of you guys picks up the language, perhaps we could do a bit of collaboration!! Nothing makes for fast development and diverse ideas like collaboration.

yes, you are right... and i've the original "COMPUTE" Beginners Guide to assembly written by Lottrup" at home and i've purchased on ebay from USA other Assembly Books, just i will try to learn something ;-)... meanwhile the new i got the new book i will search the Beginners Guide in my Collection... ;)

:) And Ciro, even if you don't get into assembly (and you SHOULD) I would really love to see a couple design ideas for the cover of the Beryl Reihardt manual. It's not going to look anything like the TI manuals. There will be a second book accompanying the game and the users manual as well. A "journeyers log" or something like that which will be totally separate from the manual. :)

well, i remember you lie the ti99 old style manual by texas instruments i seen that Codex a is very very big designer for that style ! :-) i like its manual's cover a lot, my style design is not the ti99 old style, i do not like so much for new manual, if you want i will try to design something about cover manual with my style. Now i will end the Pitfall Manual and Tutankham manual (i think it will be done in English, German and Italian)... just patience a bit ;)

Thanks,

Ciro.

Hey man... It's understandable. I myself (before last year) didn't know a single lick ofany kind of programming at all. Ask and ye shall receive though.

Hey Owen, I saw a study done somewhere (can't remember now) where half the kids in a class were taught computers, the other half to play a musical instruments, and the kids who learned music scored better on mathematics tests. It is possible that the same kind of mind that it takes to play an instrument is the same as programming? Hmm. I better go see if I'm any good at music! ;-)

Anyway, I think you are predisposed to being a good programmer. :-)

Matthew

• 1 month later...