IGNORED

Ature

beoran

Love the colored map. It looks sexy.

Thanks yuppicide. BTW, after zipping up the PSD (map with solutions) file it only comes to 141k in size. So, if anyone wants it I can PM it to them no problem.

You know what it needs now?... the map done in a classic art style (painted or water-colored). ;) I would love to do that, but I'm afraid I'm too rusty with handling a brush and it would take me waaaay too long to do it.

@ beoran, GREAT job on that manual. I love what you did to the map; how you covered the secret areas and number-labeled locations with your proper names.

Would it be too much trouble to add a feature where if you have already collected all the items and you beat the game, when you hit reset you start a new game, but with your level intact? Would it be possible to add a check for whether you've collected all items and beaten the game, so when you hit reset you get a different result than a normal reset? This way, if you're still missing items, you could just keep playing like it is now, but if you've done everything, you get to play a new game with the incentive of already being leveled up. :idea: (I think I really butchered my grammar in that paragraph)

edit: Update: I just played through the 7-8-10 binary and did not encounter that sound bug when I hit reset. So either it's fixed, or I just didn't trigger it.

I can hardly wait to see what people will come up with for a label (if you post a label contest).

Edited by KevinMos3

KevinMos,

It would be nice to have such a map, yes, but we'll have to wait for (or look for) another volunteer.

It would certainly be possible not to level up the player to level 99 when you already have all items, however, most people will be already level 99 because they beat the game before getting all the items. Perhaps I should not level up the player after winning all the way to 99, but just 1 level or so, so they can replay the game with some challenge involved?

And yes, I fixed that sound bug. The sound stopping subroutine wasn't called for the end music.

Oh, and where should ipost a label contest? Should I just mention it in the homebrew forum thread?

It would certainly be possible not to level up the player to level 99 when you already have all items, however, most people will be already level 99 because they beat the game before getting all the items. Perhaps I should not level up the player after winning all the way to 99, but just 1 level or so, so they can replay the game with some challenge involved?

That sounds a bit different than what I was suggesting. What you are suggesting sounds good too, but I'll try to describe my point a bit better.

As it is right now, after you beat the game, opened all areas and have all the items, there's really no point to continue at all. All the bosses are dead and you still have all the items, so you can just run straight to the Numen tree again to see the end screen.

I think it would be good if after you've beaten the game and it sees that you ALSO have all the items, the game can be started over when hitting reset, but keeping your current level of 99. This would give incentive to play the game again after beating it because you would already be powerful, but you'd have to collect all items, beat all bosses, and unlock all switches again. Other games have incorporated this type of feature, such as Metal Gear Solid. After beating the game, you can play through again with the bandanna for unlimited ammo, or the stealth suit, or the tuxedo etc.

By making the result of hitting reset be dependent on what you've accomplished (items and game beaten), if you still have items to acquire then you could keep on playing to find items just as it is now. That part of the current game is perfect. I like how you can hit reset after beating the game and continue your quest to find any remaining items. But if you already have everything it would be nice to start from scratch but with your level still at 99. ;)

Dear KevinMos,

Thanks for explaining, now I see your point!

In a new version which I will post in a moment in the homebrew thread, I've implemented your idea simply like this: if you didn't get all items, you simply level up 3 levels, and you can go look for the missing items. If the game sees you have all the items, then the bosses, switches, and also your inventory is reset, but you are leveled up to level 90. That way, players who collected all items can still play the game again, with a small added challenge (you still can level up the last 9 remaining levels).

This is a small note to everyone reading this thread. As I also have a thread on the homebrew forum, I'd prefer to discuss the game there, to lessen my work in keeping up with your comments. I will not answer to any comments made here anymore, so please take it to the thread on the homebrew forum. Thank you very much for your consideration.