IGNORED

Pebox defective :(

rocky007

pity ! I received at least the TI Extended basic and disk manager 2 today in cardtridge. Of course, was very excited to re-dsicover my 200 TI99 disks, with for sure some treasures..( unreleased games on internet ).

Connect my pebox to my TI, put disk manager and test my first disk... and ...DISK ERROR 0 !

Catastrof ! what happened to my lovely pebox ?

I opened it, cleaned everything with un-oxydant spray, removed all useless (for testing) cards (Rs232, 32 ko unit, 512 Ramdisk, speech synthetiser), just the TI99 and the PEBox with Disk Controller and Flex Cable interface and still have the same error.

I tryed my second TI99/4A, bec i had some problems with CF9+, and maybe it killed some I/O. But no, same problem.

When i switch on the TI99, the disk controller led switch on...and that's all, nothing else.

Have you an idea ?

Update :

I re-inserted the 32 ko inside pebox and tested with SIZE command...expansion not detected.

So, i suppose it's flex cable plug or flex cable card defective.

Edited by rocky007

pity ! I received at least the TI Extended basic and disk manager 2 today in cardtridge. Of course, was very excited to re-dsicover my 200 TI99 disks, with for sure some treasures..( unreleased games on internet ).

Connect my pebox to my TI, put disk manager and test my first disk... and ...DISK ERROR 0 !

Catastrof ! what happened to my lovely pebox ?

I opened it, cleaned everything with un-oxydant spray, removed all useless (for testing) cards (Rs232, 32 ko unit, 512 Ramdisk, speech synthetiser), just the TI99 and the PEBox with Disk Controller and Flex Cable interface and still have the same error.

I tryed my second TI99/4A, bec i had some problems with CF9+, and maybe it killed some I/O. But no, same problem.

When i switch on the TI99, the disk controller led switch on...and that's all, nothing else.

Have you an idea ?

Are you sure it is the PEB ? Does XB see the MEMEX or Corcomp Mem plus? It may be your FDC or Floppy drive or ribbon cable......

If it turns out to be a flex cable, let me know. I have one I can send you. In the meantime, re-seat the flex cable and the rs232 and try (in XB) "OLD RS232" (withOUT the quotation marks) and see if your LED lights up for that card slot. You said you tried two different consoles? Many times the consoles can be quite finnicky... If you so much as bump the cable interface on the side-port, it can get screwy. If we were on the Y forum, I'm sure they would be asking if you "accidentally plugged the flex cable into the joystick port" or something else silly. :). I'd say try the OLD RS232 once you've re-seated again. Perhaps try a different card slot for your flex-cable card. You never know. :)

Thanks for the help. I tryed to access to all extension (32ko , ramdisk, ) and nothing. I cleaned all contact in flex connector and they look good. The last time i used pebox ( 15 years ago), it was working perfectly, and was in safe place, i really don't understand what happened. opry99er, i'll try to re-seat everything inside and outside of flex card & cable.

Thanks for the help. I tryed to access to all extension (32ko , ramdisk, ) and nothing. I cleaned all contact in flex connector and they look good. The last time i used pebox ( 15 years ago), it was working perfectly, and was in safe place, i really don't understand what happened. opry99er, i'll try to re-seat everything inside and outside of flex card & cable.

I would not write a stupid thing but with my PEB I had the same problems. I solved by cleaning the drive with a diskette cleaning solution from 5.14 with a cleaning spray on the surface of the disc were oxidized sie heads ... the second drive, however, beyond the dirty heads had loosened the elastic engine and were not the optimum speed ... I replaced the rubber bands.

Maybe your PEB have different problem but it's mine experience... hoping it could be a solution for you ;-)

Edited by ti99userclub

I would not write a stupid thing but with my PEB I had the same problems. I solved by cleaning the drive with a diskette cleaning solution from 5.14 with a cleaning spray on the surface of the disc were oxidized sie heads ... the second drive, however, beyond the dirty heads had loosened the elastic engine and were not the optimum speed ... I replaced the rubber bands.

Maybe your PEB have different problem but it's mine experience... hoping it could be a solution for you ;-)

use a corcomp module "PERIPHERAL DIAGNOSTIC MODULE" for testing your pebox, this cardrigde test the rs232 32k and the floppy controller.

jean louis

The Diagnostic module Jean Louis talks about is a rare cart--- hard to find, really. If re-seating the flex card into a new card slot inside your PEB doesn't fix it, someone else will have to help ya. I am by NO means a hardware expert. :)

if you search a copy of the eprom The Diagnostic module, I have for you. but juste the file, have you a eprommer for burn the eprom or eeprom.

jean louis

The Diagnostic module Jean Louis talks about is a rare cart--- hard to find, really. If re-seating the flex card into a new card slot inside your PEB doesn't fix it, someone else will have to help ya. I am by NO means a hardware expert. :)

if you search a copy of the eprom The Diagnostic module, I have for you. but juste the file, have you a eprommer for burn the eprom or eeprom.

jean louis

Thanks jean-jouis, i'm interested by the rom, i have everything here to burn and make a the cardtridge. it could be usefull in case of....yes, in case of, because...

i solved the problem ;)

in fact, i need to thanks opry99er, because after tryed everything possible, i decided to try his idea, unseat the flex cable from the expansion card. and while i was doing it, i noticed many little scrath and cut on the end of cable of the flex cable ! I had to cut 20cm of flexcable, and reseat it again on expansion card, and now it's working perfectly :)

so...check it out in the next following days for hot stuffs ;)...yes, the time to solder a extension port to the CF7+

thanks again for all your help

in fact, i need to thanks opry99er, because after tryed everything possible, i decided to try his idea, unseat the flex cable from the expansion card. and while i was doing it, i noticed many little scrath and cut on the end of cable of the flex cable ! I had to cut 20cm of flexcable, and reseat it again on expansion card, and now it's working perfectly :)

Amazing ! :cool: