IGNORED

Seriously? Nothing? What's wrong with you guys?

DaytonaUSA

I came on here expecting tons of posts about all the new games, release dates of ones we knew about, Move, ect, and there's nothing.

So I guess I'll start a thread about the conference.

Things that made me smile:

Twisted Metal (finally! one of my favorite franchises, period)

Playstation Move

Release date for GT5

Dead Space 2 + Extraction

LBP2 (less excited, but intrigued...)

Sorcery

The Move Tron game (seriously, that looked really fun)

Portal 2 (and Valve support)

That's about it. The other 3rd party stuff wasn't really my thing. Killzone 3 and Medal of Honor, graphically, looked amazing, I'm just not much into FPS.

Anyone's thoughts? Personally, I was wishy washy about Move until today. I want it, badly. And it's not much of a wait and very affordable. Twisted Metal was a long shot, but I'm SO happy to see it, and a release date (this year no less) for GT5 was more than needed and has me very giddy.

I'll admit I was surprised the PS3 forum wasn't buzzing like the other two forums.

Especially since some folks have been claiming Sony ruled E3. Maybe that was just wishful thinking?

I personally thought it was a pretty ho-hum E3.

Pretty much nothing on your list interests me from a PS3 standpoint. (Almost everything is cross platform) LBP2? I haven't come close to playing through the first. Pass.

The big news being Move which I'm not getting suckered into buying right away even if Sorcery does look intriguing.

I have no intention of buying Kinect either, at least not right away. I have a Wii, playing the same games with much better graphics isn't going to change the fact they have for the most part sucky control. I'll wait till the thing is like $39.99 and all the decent games have been identified!! At the very least I'd have to try it out. Wii taught me motion only revolutionizes very specific games. Sorcery does look good and I'm a huge RPG fan, but I just would have to try it for myself, videos aren't going to cut it. :cool:

I do plan on getting some of the games on your list though. Tron!? Portal 2!? Gimmie

I'll admit I was surprised the PS3 forum wasn't buzzing like the other two forums.

Especially since some folks have been claiming Sony ruled E3. Maybe that was just wishful thinking?

I personally thought it was a pretty ho-hum E3.

Pretty much nothing on your list interests me from a PS3 standpoint. (Almost everything is cross platform) LBP2? I haven't come close to playing through the first. Pass.

The big news being Move which I'm not getting suckered into buying right away even if Sorcery does look intriguing.

I have no intention of buying Kinect either, at least not right away. I have a Wii, playing the same games with much better graphics isn't going to change the fact they have for the most part sucky control. I'll wait till the thing is like $39.99 and all the decent games have been identified!! At the very least I'd have to try it out. Wii taught me motion only revolutionizes very specific games. Sorcery does look good and I'm a huge RPG fan, but I just would have to try it for myself, videos aren't going to cut it. :cool:

I do plan on getting some of the games on your list though. Tron!? Portal 2!? Gimmie

There is a lot of talk and buzz on other sites. The PS3 has always had a tame following here for whatever reason that may be. I think that contributes more to that than anything else really.

Anywho, I plan on getting the Move. It's what the Wii was (in my mind) when I bought it. But then was terribly disappointed when the controls sucked. Move's actually work and have been getting critical acclaim (plus, I really want Tron and Sorcerer lol). It's a good price, so why not :).

LBP2, yea, I'm wishy washy about that. It seems that they made a game that's not a platformer, but every type of game... just doesn't seem exciting. I don't want to play some crappy top down racer that sucks. I want to play Little Big Planet. Btw, the single player in LBP is pretty short. You should get through it in no time.

Kinect is silly. Why it's getting so much press and love is beyond me. Maybe the popularity is all fanboyism, who knows.. all I know is that I don't get what's different than the Eye. It's the same thing, just with uses in Dashboard. In fact, some of the launch games like that karate type game are also going to be on the Eye. Everyone keeps talking about how great FPS will be on Kinect, and I've seen no proof to show that this could work. I understand you can use a controller while using Kinect, but if your hands are together on one controller, how are you supposed to move around to do physical actions?

Anywho, we'll see. A lot of this is still up in the air, but all I know is that Tron and Twisted Metal made my day :). I will agree it wasn't the best E3 ever. I mean, the new 360 looks odd, there's no new PSP or PS3 (obviously), and the 3DS was kinda underwhelming, especially in the software department. I mean, we had like, what, 6 months of DSi games? I'll wait before I know more.

Also, why did Nintendo start off saying people were "talking about HD", but then never came back to that and didn't mention an HD Wii, or anything? Why would you bring up your main weakness?

I don't have a PS3 and don't plan to buy one, but Sony showed by far the most games I had any interest in. Sorcerey is the type of game I was expecting to be on Wii for the last three years but never showed up. Not sure it will be a great game, but at least they're going in the right direction.

Little Big Planet 2 looked great. I loved Dead Space: Extraction on Wii, and it's great to see it as a bonus disc on PS3 w/ Dead Space 2. New Twisted Metal looks fun. Nice to see GT5 get dated, and even though I'm sure it's years off, still cool to see a little clip of FF XIV.

I also thought it was cool that Sony recreated their E3 booth for PS3 players to poke around virtually. We were going to do a similar thing as a downloadable GBA rom years ago, but couldn't get the time to do it.

[Edit]Yeah, Kinect looks pretty worthless to me, unless you want fitness or dance games/apps. Perfect for those, but it remains to be seen if it works with any other genres.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Sorcerey is the type of game I was expecting to be on Wii for the last three years but never showed up. Not sure it will be a great game, but at least they're going in the right direction.

This is exactly what I was trying to say to Moycon :). I got the Wii because my imagination was flooding with all these cool ways the Wii would work in games. Instead, all I got was a waggle fest and some of the most rushed, POS games I've seen in years. This game was what I expected from the beginning, and it's nice to see someone gets it. Heck, I even stayed with the Wii thinking it would get better, and all they did was create Wii___ games. Again, Nintendo did a decent show though, for once, and I appreciate them doing a few game series that deserved to be done, but man... when they announced Wii Party, I couldn't help be feel disgusted all over again (and laugh when the crowd had one person, literally, clap at the end of the presentation).

I didn't play the first Dead Space. I don't usually like those type of games, but my friend said the first was great (had it on 360) and to be honest, that trailer was nothing short of jaw dropping. Seriously, the cinematography and graphics were some of the best I've ever seen in a game.

This is exactly what I was trying to say to Moycon :).

Did either of you play the Wii Zelda game? It had the free roaming using one controller, and a strike at enemies with your Wiimote gameplay Sorcery seemed to have. The spells are cool, but I couldn't help but think of Zelda almost immediately after starting to view the video.

The game you've waited 3 years for might already exist...just won't look so snazzy.

Zelda was one of the better games released on the Wii control wise. I'm sure Sorcery will control fine too, even if it doesn't appear to me to be anything new. I thought Sorcery looked keen for sure, just not get excited and rush out and pay top dollar for a new add-on keen.

I agree though Dead Space is a sweet game!! :thumbsup:

This is exactly what I was trying to say to Moycon :).

Did either of you play the Wii Zelda game? It had the free roaming using one controller, and a strike at enemies with your Wiimote gameplay Sorcery seemed to have. The spells are cool, but I couldn't help but think of Zelda almost immediately after starting to view the video.

The game you've waited 3 years for might already exist...just won't look so snazzy.

Zelda was one of the better games released on the Wii control wise. I'm sure Sorcery will control fine too, even if it doesn't appear to me to be anything new. I thought Sorcery looked keen for sure, just not get excited and rush out and pay top dollar for a new add-on keen.

I agree though Dead Space is a sweet game!! :thumbsup:

In short, When I put my controller up to my lips quickly, Link swung his sword. When I crouched, Link did nothing. When I shook my controller, Link swung his sword. When I struck vertically, Link swung his sword. When I struck horizontally, Link.. once again.. simply swung his sword.

My point in my post was simply, the Wii offered waggle, NOT real true motion control. All the actions of the character (minus feet of course) were YOU in the Move game. There were little to no animations used (basically only animations for his arms while he was running, ect). Everything else (and you could tell) was a 1:1 animation of what his arm was actually doing in real life.

So no, the game I wanted was not Zelda. It was one of the better Wii games, but it was nothing but a button mapped to waggle with inaccurate (and often times very frustrating) arrow aiming. I'd like to play a game with pointer controls that I can play comfortably in my living room setup (in which the accessible standing area for Wii controls was too far from the sensor on the TV...a HUGE 8ish feet :roll: ), and not have to worry about jumpiness, and all around waggle.

I know the motion plus is now out, and I have not tried that as I sold my Wii before it's debut. However, once again, from what I see, the Move trumps this as well. Your position and body pose is captured by the Eye. If you crouch, the character crouches, if you make a funny face, the character makes a funny face (not in this game, but it's been shown the Eye can do this), ect ect. On top of that, if both were equal in all performance (hypothetical situation), I'd still prefer the Move because...well.. sorry to sound snobby, but I got tired of the Wii's graphics. For heck's sake, I had it for over 2 years and when I played Rogue Squadron it was STILL better looking than any of the Wii's games. What gives?

I give ALL credit to Nintendo for having the vision of motion gaming, and they really need to be properly recognized for it. However, they didn't really execute it properly.

ANYwho, would you guys recommend picking up the first Dead Space, or should I just wait for 2 to try out the series?

Thanks guys, and differing opinions or not, I hope you guys know it's all in the sake of conversation. I could honestly care less what others like, versus myself. As pissed as I get at the thought of having to play the crap some people like (IE: Kinect), I can imagine it's equally as annoying as if I told others they were forced to play what I like haha :P

you've gotta play dead space, it's only like $20 so there's no excuse lol.

besides the extraction bonus the ps3 version of medal of honor comes with a remastered edition of frontlines. the ps3 version of mafia 2 is getting extra content as is the new assassins creed. the ps3 is getting some 3rd party love.

gabe newell on sony's stage was a massive coup, he's shit talked sony for 4 years.

the sly cooper collection is an absolute must buy, as is killzone, infamous, motorstorm and twisted metal. lbp2 and gran turismo looked good but i'm not interested.

i was digging the move before thanks to socom but sorcery completely sold me on it. that one little game immediately showed me the potential for action rpgs and dungeon crawlers. the options are immense.

i'd need to see it in person to be sure but the 3DS has me immensely excited. the game line-up is absolutely killer.

golden eye and donkey kong country on wii looked awesome. i hate zelda so i haven't bothered to look at it.

sony & nintendo absolutely nailed it. i expressed my disgust and disappointment with the 360 in another thread so all i'll say is that another year goes by without a compelling reason to own one, i hate halo & gears.

I thought that the PS3 Move was just going to be a pile of garbage trying to cash into the motion control craze. But after seeing it in action, I'm really impressed with it. Unlike the Kinect, I think that the PS3 Move is a good reason to buy a PS3, especially after seeing Sorcery.

Edited by brandondwright

I give ALL credit to Nintendo for having the vision of motion gaming, and they really need to be properly recognized for it. However, they didn't really execute it properly.

I think I understand what you are saying and agree. I'll still have to wait and try to see if Sony/MS did any better. Hopefully stores will have these things set up to demo...maybe even before the retail release. I'd have to admit if what you're suggesting is true I'd probably get more excited. Just not sold on it yet. That might change the closer it gets to Xmas! ;)

i just have nerdly fantasies of a dungeons&dragons type game where i can drop my torch and reach behind my back to unsheath my sword with the "nunchuck" used as a shield. i'm aching for some real sword combat in a game.

i hope sony is paying attention to the positive reaction to sorcery and backs it, it's looking like the moves "killer app" so far.

I'm not terribly hot for the 3d or motion control sony is pushing right now. I'll have to try it first maybe. I'm receptive to the idea, just not in the early adopter club. I'll probably pass on the higher network service--I don't like playing unfinished beta builds, and all the games on psn that I like I buy--I don't need a service that gifts me their selection.

One thing I am wanting is GT5.

I got about the minimum GT5 info I was looking for *last year* at this time. It has already blown its march japanese release date, so I take this november North american release date with a grain of salt. Guess I'm feeling fan burnout on the subject.

Then there was the usual e3 pre-rendered gran turismo vid. I guess to show what the game might look like in imagination land where there are no jaggies and the cars are all the high-detail models.

the hands-on demo is what makes me the closest to excited. I don't need to get my hands on it, but I do like seeing a fair number of new cars, new tracks, and a functional day-to-night transition. It's nice to see more than just a track at a time with a car or two.

Edited by Reaperman

Heh, with all the noise, and the early leak, I totally forgot about Motorstorm, haha. I'm looking forward to that, too. I think the natural environment really made Motorstorm something special, but I can understand the need to spice it up a bit.

i just have nerdly fantasies of a dungeons&dragons type game where i can drop my torch and reach behind my back to unsheath my sword with the "nunchuck" used as a shield. i'm aching for some real sword combat in a game.

Zelda: Skyward Sword looks to do pretty much that. I'm not digging the "boy apprentice" main character in Sorcery, too Harry Potter-ish, but that's a nitpick if the game is fun. Am I the only one hoping for a new King's Field? Those games were never that great, but a guilty pleasure.

the game you've waited 3 years for might already exist...just won't look so snazzy. Zelda was one of the better games released on the Wii control wise.
Yep, Twilight Princess is one of my favorite games of this generation, but not for its motion controls. Shaking the nunchuck to do a spin move (or pretty much anything) sucks. Swordplay was okay, if limited, but pointing to use bows, etc was good fun. Godfather on Wii had excellent motion controls, best on the system imho. Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed the Wii, it's my most-played system this generation, but very rarely have the controls worked out as well as expected. But this isn't a Wii thread, this is a PS3 thread... Edited by BydoEmpire

Sony is actually beginning to really scare me with the direction they are heading.

Yes, they showed some great looking games. But most of their presentation consisted of selling me BIG $$$$$$ items to enjoy these game. I mean, 3D.... c'mon, I'm in no position to spend $3,000+ for a 3D TV and several hundred dollars for 3D glasses.

And Move doesn't come very cheap..... $80 for each controller set plus $40 for the camera plus the cost of the games.

I don't know, but I sure got the feeling that if I'm to stick with the PS3 platform that I will have to start playing and win the lottery.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Sony is actually beginning to really scare me with the direction they are heading.

Yes, they showed some great looking games. But most of their presentation consisted of selling me BIG $$$$$$ items to enjoy these game. I mean, 3D.... c'mon, I'm in no position to spend $3,000+ for a 3D TV and several hundred dollars for 3D glasses.

And Move doesn't come very cheap..... $80 for each controller set plus $40 for the camera plus the cost of the games.

I don't know, but I sure got the feeling that if I'm to stick with the PS3 platform that I will have to start playing and win the lottery.

Mendon

Yea, I mean, PS3 will always have regular games. And the way I see it at least, is that Move is pretty cheap. I'm growing tired of seeing the "you'll need to spend 300 dollars for 4 players" crap. People said that about the Wii too, and the most I ended up getting was two people's worth of controllers, and that was when I was at college. Now I just need one controller, and that's it, making Move well within my price range.

As far as 3D, I don't think Sony is making it as big of a thing as Nintendo is with the 3DS, in the sense that it's an addition they're allowing you to have, but it's not their emphasis. I think they are including it so that they can say they were first, and be able to improve the technology before the other two implement it in their consoles.

The way I see it is it's like any other new tech. When 3D TVs and glasses are reasonable, hell yea Ill buy them, just like I did my HDTV, dvd player, ect ect. But to buy things when they first come out is always financial suicide. Sony would be stupid to make it necessary to buy a new TV and to buy glasses, but having the option is nice. I'll get it when it's affordable. Until then, I certainly won't feel left out. It's not important or relavant enough in the console gaming world to spend the money on.

At least with the 3DS you have games specifically for it. Just to add 3D games to regualar games isn't enough for me to buy the hardware to play them. Now when the tech is cheap and they make games where I need the 3D in order to play, yea.. upgrade time!

Mendon

the base price for the bundle is $100. that gets you the controller, a game and the camera. extra controllers are $50. the optional "nunchuck" is $30 but you can still use a dualshock in place of the nunchuck. you only need one cam. sony's first party move games will only be $39. from my understanding it can only detect a max of 4 controllers/wands/nunchucks at a time so outfitting a family with a bunch of wands and stuff won't be an issue for most people.