IGNORED

GT5 again

Reaperman

I updated to 2.08 yesterday, ran into the black screen 6 times when trying to enter a online race (black screen with the logo on the bottom right). I could still hear my car, could still hear other peoples cars, could still control my car, people could see my car in game. But there is no way to back out into the lobby and have to quit the game.

Oh boy, a messed up update.

Everybody's been black screening online. Clutch functions are pretty messed up too. I can't even get into gear.

I had really been looking forward to 2.08 too. The big new feature is that you can set up rooms without collisions. Just ghost cars. I haven't been able to test out this feature because of the online problems.

2.08 was suppose to fix the clutch and it just made the clutch worse?

Seems like it to me. Especially starting from stop (top gear test track lacks rolling start). I can rev the engine in neutral all I want, but when I slot into say, first gear, and try to pull away, I it's like the accelerator isn't going down. No indication of power at all, even with the clutch pedal pressed. Pull it back to neutral, and I can rev the motor again. This was online, so maybe it has to do with the other online issues. I lost patience pretty quickly and didn't stick around to look for patterns.

Some folks over on GTplanet seem to have found a way to make it work, but it sounded like a recipe for a stalled car, and I'm not going to alter my style just because the game's broken.

Edited by Reaperman

They've already rereleased it once with the updates from up until then for $20 or so a few months back.

I'm sure they're eyeing further such rereleases as further evolution takes place. I intend to wait it out until the first rerelease hits after a long period of no patch activity. The game will probably be in as good a state as it ever will be at that point and I won't be facing half a day of downloading just to be able to play it.

Edited by Atariboy

• 5 weeks later...

2.09 has made online racing a bit interesting.

So far I haven't ran into the logo black screen.

Being that online physics are the same as offline physics (except for rolling, you can roll to around 90 degrees but not fully flip) cars might have to be retuned.

I don't know if they tweaked the clutch in this patch, but my friend said it feels different.

Being that online physics are the same as offline physics (except for rolling, you can roll to around 90 degrees but not fully flip) cars might have to be retuned.

Is that somewhat new? In my experience online and offline physics have been different (though with a similar feel). I got sick of tuning to within a few 1/10ths of a second in practice, getting online and having all my work undone--but it has been a while since I've seen those online "I'm practicing, don't join" lobbies, so maybe GT5's gotten better. I just assumed that reduced game popularity was responsible for those.

Edited by Reaperman

Is that somewhat new? In my experience online and offline physics have been different (though with a similar feel). I got sick of tuning to within a few 1/10ths of a second in practice, getting online and having all my work undone--but it has been a while since I've seen those online "I'm practicing, don't join" lobbies, so maybe GT5's gotten better. I just assumed that reduced game popularity was responsible for those.

That's what I was getting at in my post, stating what I seen in 2.09, not a older version.

In gt5 2.08 and lower versions, the online physics was different from offline physics. In 2.09 the physics are the same online as offline.

In 2.08 you could not in any way shape or form come close to flipping or rolling a car in a online race, in 2.09 you can now partially flip and roll the car in any angle up to 75-90 degrees, still not a full flip or roll but they are taking steps forward.

Cars that didn't try to kill you in a corner in 2.08 now try to kill you in 2.09. The brakes are a bit more touchy, now you have to lower the brake bias if running with no ABS.

Edited by madmax2069

• 1 year later...

Guess I better get around to redeeming my GT5XL voucher and downloading Spa and whatever else it gives me.

Peculiar move for a major 1st party release and a system they appear to be expecting to remain a major force in the marketplace for several more years. Did they hire some executives away from EA or something?

This is what's so nice about the 360's P2P dominated service. Most games even from 2005 have their online functionality fully intact today where as most PS3 titles go offline relatively quickly as publishers reallocate their server infrastructure to support newer releases.

Edited by Atariboy

They lost $1.1 billion last year, they need to cut expenses wherever they can. Dumping the expense of something that not a whole lot of people use anymore is just good business. I don't blame them at all especially since access to multiplayer is free on the PS3 and it never was on the 360. I don't understand why they're also pulling the DLC but obviously it saves them money somehow or they wouldn't be doing it.

We're talking about a 1st party release (And a game that isn't terribly old... it's barely 3), one of the best selling titles on the platform, one that continues to be widely available new at retail (And at a fraction of the price of its successor), and a game that still has many people actively playing it online even with a sequel out there now.

At least to me, it doesn't make sense at this time to discontinue online services for this title.

As for DLC, my guess is that there are some licenses expiring which is behind them pulling DLC.

Edited by Atariboy