IGNORED

APF TV fun model 401a

Lendorien

So, I got my first 1st generation console today in the APF TV Fun model 401a. It came complete in box with filler, manual and AC adapter order card (The RF switch was missing, but no tears here). The unit was fairly grimy, so I cleaned it up with water, toothbrushes and a hint of dawn. The interior was clean as a whistle and needed no work. My guess is it sat on a shelf for a while in someone's basement, then was boxed up for 30 years. All for 5 bucks at Goodwill. I debated buying it because the pong units have never really interested me.

I got to play it with my father today. He never played video games in the 70's or in fact, ever. We both sort of sucked at it, though he had a blast with it. Amazingly, he wants to play it again some time. Amazing. A 30 year old console finaly gets my 60 year old dad to play a video game. Go figure.

For those that don't know, the APF TV fun Model 401a was an early competitor to Pong that came out in 1976. It runs on 6 C batteries, or a 9dcv adapter. I don't have a compatible adapter, so I went the battery route. It has two knobs for player control, four games (variations on Pong) and three difficulty selectors that select paddle size, ball angle and ball speed. The system is black and white and like many early home pong units, sound plays through a speaker in the system itself.

It's a really nice looking unit made of black plastic, metal control surfaces and switches and faux wood grain. In terms of looks, the APF TV fun looks a hundred times nicer than the Sears/Atari Telegames unit (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Atarisearspong.png).

The Model 401a is a really nice console. The controls are smooth as silk and the difficulty switches allow numerous game variations. On my LCD, the image was crystal clear with no static at all.

I just had to share my find because I had a blast with it. Pong is the grand-daddy of video games, but even now, 34 years later, it still can be good fun if you have someone to play it with.

post-22224-127760594506_thumb.jpg

post-22224-127760595574_thumb.jpg

The APF is a nice unit. I've got one myself; I think I paid $10 for it a Nice As New or someplace like that. Although it plays exactly the same games as every other non-Atari or non-Odyssey-except-the-300 system, it's one of my favorite pongs.

Mine's loose, but it's in pretty nice shape. I like the woodgrain and the polished/brushed chrome appointments; it's a much more "deluxe"-looking game than most of the others...especially in a '70s sense. :D

I agree that Pong -and its many variations- is still a great game. It can get stale in a hurry, but it's one of those things you can always come back to.

LOL, since this seems to be the Milwaukee thread, I'll chime in. I just got one a few weeks ago from a member here, after looking for one for years. Why? Because it was the first video game I ever played. At least that I remember. My grandparents had a campsite in the Dells, and they had one of these in there (knowing my grandparents, it probably came as a bonus with the trailer purchase, b/c I really can't see them going out of their way to buy one, even back then. Especially back then). Anyway, if I'd been thrifting recently, it looks like I could have had one cheaper! I didn't have to clean mine though :cool:

Those are nice looking pong units.

Mine is loose too. If you get time, I'd sure like to see a photo of the box, and double bonus awesomeness if you post a scan of the manual! :!:

LOL, since this seems to be the Milwaukee thread, I'll chime in. I just got one a few weeks ago from a member here, after looking for one for years. Why? Because it was the first video game I ever played. At least that I remember. My grandparents had a campsite in the Dells, and they had one of these in there (knowing my grandparents, it probably came as a bonus with the trailer purchase, b/c I really can't see them going out of their way to buy one, even back then. Especially back then). Anyway, if I'd been thrifting recently, it looks like I could have had one cheaper! I didn't have to clean mine though :cool:

Those are nice looking pong units.

Mine is loose too. If you get time, I'd sure like to see a photo of the box, and double bonus awesomeness if you post a scan of the manual! :!:

I got it at the Goodwill out in Waukesha on Thursday. So it was as close at hand as you thought. I debated about buying it too because pong machines don't hold much interest for me. But like Bass Guitari said, it really is an attractive unit compared to a lot of the other pong units out there. It really is in amazing shape despite having to clean it.

Now as for your request... The box is a little beat, but I'll take pictures for you and try to scan the manual tomorrow. I even have the card for ordering the AC adapter. Heh.

Here is the manual for the model 401. Forgive the obvious crease marks in the pdf. Short of ironing it, not sure how to prevent them.

The manual really is not all that necessary to play it of course. It does have warranty info on it... though I think mine is bit outside the warranty period. And if you need the "battery eliminator," it provides contact info with the battery eliminator order card. Course, these days, the voltage and polarity of the thing would be more useful. A little research shows that it needs a +9vdc center positive adapter (coaxial plug). Whatever that means.

I'm also including pictures of the box as requested.

APF TV Fun - Model 401 Manual.pdf

post-22224-12778000651_thumb.jpg

post-22224-127780010091_thumb.jpg

post-22224-127780011444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 1

Now that's service! :) Thanks for the pics and the scans. It's a nice box too, with the '70s style lettering and such. I haven't been to thrifts now for several months, I'll have to start going again. Thanks again.

Now that's service! :) Thanks for the pics and the scans. It's a nice box too, with the '70s style lettering and such. I haven't been to thrifts now for several months, I'll have to start going again. Thanks again.

Well, I did see a wickedly overpriced Odyssey 2 at Waukesha about a month ago, but really, seems like they're more picked over these days, or I'm just not able to get there before they are. I did get Goonies 2 for NES for 50 cents and Phantasmagora (Classic horror adventure game for PC) for 2 bucks the other day though. That was nice. I keep seeing the hints of nice hauls having been there, but as always, I generally miss them. It's truly the Sega Master System hauls that I keep wishing I could get! But I've done ok in the past. I found my 3DO at a goodwill.

And you're welcome for the pictures of the box and such. The box really is vintage 70's. For the well made heavy plastic and aluminum of the game unit, the box really does seem like it was skimped on. Today, they'd have glossy full color graphics with pictures of the perfect American family playing it and having amazing fun.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just received an APF TV Fun... model 444. Didn't come with an AC adapter. I do have a universal adapter. What settings should I use on the universal? I'm guessing 9 volts, since it takes 6x 1.5 volt batteries. Need to know the polarity though.

Also it looks like there are two additional controller ports in the back. What were the controllers? This page shows them, but the picture is too low res for me to make them out.

I just received an APF TV Fun... model 444. Didn't come with an AC adapter. I do have a universal adapter. What settings should I use on the universal? I'm guessing 9 volts, since it takes 6x 1.5 volt batteries. Need to know the polarity though.

Also it looks like there are two additional controller ports in the back. What were the controllers? This page shows them, but the picture is too low res for me to make them out.

A little research shows that the 401 needs a +9vdc center positive adapter (coaxial plug). I'm not sure, but I'd expect yours to be the same.

I'm not sure a regular AC adapter would work. Have to be sure your polarity is right.

I think the controllers are just paddles on spindles that once can use as an alternate to using the ones on the main unit.

Edited by Lendorien

I got it up and running... albeit a little bit of screen snow. Probably not getting clean power.

One of the paddles is broken... the left. Just doesn't appear, probably stuck off the screen. I'll have to pop it open and see if it is fixable.

I would like to find those external controllers.

I got it up and running... albeit a little bit of screen snow. Probably not getting clean power.

One of the paddles is broken... the left. Just doesn't appear, probably stuck off the screen. I'll have to pop it open and see if it is fixable.

I would like to find those external controllers.

Well, I had mine open for cleaning and it looked like the same sort of fixture as the Atari paddles. Perhaps it's just dirty? Or maybe a connection is loose?

I suspect you'll be hard pressed to find those controllers separately.