IGNORED

Retrogaming Times

unhuman

Owen have you tried Phansty Star on the Sega Master System? It is my favorite 8bit console rpg. PS 2,3,4 are Sega Genesis games and are very well done. But the first one is in a class all of it's own. If you have not tried it then you should. I may have the rom file for it.

Interestingly, the TI-99/4a Legends games are scaled back clones of the first two games of my all-time favorite CRPG's, SSI's Phantasie series. I was able to acquire the Legends games, but have not had a chance to play them.

I knew the author of Legends as a kid. Never got around to playing the 2(Legends & the sequel) until a year ago. Got as far as until the program just naturally ended(unexpectedly) and dumped me back to the prompt.

Interestingly, the TI-99/4a Legends games are scaled back clones of the first two games of my all-time favorite CRPG's, SSI's Phantasie series. I was able to acquire the Legends games, but have not had a chance to play them.

I knew the author of Legends as a kid. Never got around to playing the 2(Legends & the sequel) until a year ago. Got as far as until the program just naturally ended(unexpectedly) and dumped me back to the prompt.

Interestingly, Phantasie (at least the C-64 version) had a critical crash bug that returned you to the BASIC prompt in one of the early dungeons. I eventually worked my way around the bug.

Thanks for that info Bill! I love the Phantasy Star games for Genesis but I have never played Phantasie on DOS or C64. (I know/--different games entirely)--- legends 2 is actually an excellent game as well... Improved graphics, a bit quicker User Interface. :)

Thanks for that info Bill! I love the Phantasy Star games for Genesis but I have never played Phantasie on DOS or C64. (I know/--different games entirely)--- legends 2 is actually an excellent game as well... Improved graphics, a bit quicker User Interface. :)

Yes, I'm looking forward to playing the Legends games on the TI, even though it's slightly scaled back from the full Phantasie I and II experience. I love the Phantasie formula (very much like paper D&D) and any chance to play in that same style I'll take. Phantasie I and II were very similar (II can essentially be thought of as a bug fixed I, naturally with a different story and map), while III enhanced things quite a bit. I'll be curious if Legends 2 borrowed from III at all, or just was able to clone II better than the first game cloned I. By the way, the Apple II versions of Phantasie I - III were the originals, and it has more of a vertically oriented map than the other releases. The C-64, Atari 8-bit and DOS versions were quite similar (of those, the C-64 version looked the best). The Atari ST and Amiga versions were another set, with considerably enhanced visuals and a mouse-driven interface. Oddly enough, II did not see release on all of those platforms. There were also separate Japanese MSX versions that were handled outside of SSI. Phantasie IV was not done by the original author or published by SSI, and was a Japan-only release on the MSX and Sharp computer platforms. Luckily, some enthusiasts did an English translation of the MSX version.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

• 1 month later...

So--- what would you all like to see in my article for this next issue? Any particular historical items you'd like to read about or anything of the like? A particular game or type of game you would like discussed? I'm in a writing mood, but I'm likely to do another broad piece like the RPG piece, and I'm sure Bryan would appreciate it if I wrote something a bit more focused. :) Ideas welcome!!

Edited by Opry99er