IGNORED

Deathsmiles

Mendon

if anyone is playing this game, please post your opinions/thoughts on it.

The local Walmart actually has two Collectors Editions (with faceplate) sitting in the display case and I'm really tempted to pick this up. BUT.... being a Treasure fan, I'm also tempted on buying Sin & Punishment for the Wii. Unfortunately, money is a little tight (due to a leaky roof and the wife-unit says she is sugar and will melt if I don't fix it) so I have to make a choice.

The Collectors Edition of Deathsmiles might not be around long so maybe I should buy that. But if the game isn't that good, I might be better off with Sin & Punishment (which is getting very good reviews).

Please post your thoughts on Deathsmiles!

Mendon

Death Smiles will have a very small run, I could see it being one of the few 360 games (if any do) that actually increase in value over the years. It's 2D gameplay combined with collectors packaging and small production numbers will make it rare, eventually. That being said, due to the niche crowd following Death Smiles you might actually be able to pick it up at close out prices, since that will happen within the year for any unsold copies...you will be taking a gamble though. Sin and Punishment will be 10 times the gameplay, no question, but it will ALWAYS be available. It all depends on how fast you want to play it and if you don't mind playing it after everyone else has moved on to something new (but that is really the case with any big production game right?) Me personally? I could also go either way, the collector in me screams grab the Death Smiles. The gamer in me says Sin and Punishment looks like a must have landmark title for the Wii. Just go trade some stuff in and buy both ;)

Is there a non-collectors edition of Deathsmiles that's cheaper? I'm not into faceplates.

Tempest

As far as I know there is not. The game is only $49.99 though.

I got a copy of the game Mendon, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Hoping to get to it later today.

It's a fun game. Great when you just want to pick something up and play for a bit. You can get through the game in like 40 minutes I'd say. I played a half game of the Arcade version first. I don't have any experience with Deathsmiles, but I'm guessing this was a version released in arcade? The date said 2007, but the graphics seemed to be dated from the 90's, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I then played through the 360 version which was the same things but with enhanced graphics. Looked great. I loved the Kooky bosses (A giant cow named Mary!?) I will say this, the game is very liberal with it's achievements. After those two plays I got 255 GP!! I don't think that the game is worth the $50 if you don't want the faceplate and soundtrack though. The game itself comes off more like a $20 Live download than a $50 retail release.

I don't think that the game is worth the $50 if you don't want the faceplate and soundtrack though. The game itself comes off more like a $20 Live download than a $50 retail release.

I'd already decided I wasn't going to get it til it hit the bargain bin. Shmups aren't worth $50 to me, especially when there was a bundle of 3 shmups recently released on the PS3 for $15 and two of them sound similar to this game.

But why would we subject our children to such horrible imagery!?

Its horrible I say!! Horrible!!!!

A pair!

That's pretty funny

I don't think that the game is worth the $50 if you don't want the faceplate and soundtrack though. The game itself comes off more like a $20 Live download than a $50 retail release.

Thanks for the input, Moycon; much appreciated!

Question: how much replay do you think there is in Deathsmiles?

Reason I ask is because most reviewers say that Sin & Punishmet is about 6 hours or so, but the replay value to beat your scores on the leaderboards drives the replay value waaaaaaay up. They also say that there is just something about S&P that just keeps bringing you back for one more try.... over & over & over & over & over.

After reading S&P reviews, watching video's, and remembering Gunstar - Bangai-O - Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga, I think I'll go with Sin & Punishment today and hope that Deathsmiles remains available from Amazon.

Mendon

My order from Amazon for this game came in yesterday and I fired it up after picking at an unrelated project.

The faceplate is cool looking. But it's more a collectors decoration than anything else. It went back in the oddly shaped cardboard box. I like my woodgrain faceplate the best right now. :)

The game on easier levels feels possible, but man that's a lot of bullets. Then there's the 'suicide bullets' too. While I know that your familiar is supposed to collect those, I had a bad time of it and died. A lot. I did two playthroughs last night on the 360 version, mostly on difficulty level 1 (because I'm terrible at these bullet-hell shooters.) Lots of achievements for doing very little in some spots. There are some tough ones too, like clear the game without using a bomb. Not likely to do that in my lifetime. There is also a decision to make after you clear the game which impacts the ending.

Overall, a pretty shooter, lots of bullets in funky patterns, and just a tad perverse -- I assume that's a Japan thing more than anything else.

Hex.

[ Spent a TON of cash on tools yesterday and is having a little buyer's remorse... ]

There are some tough ones too, like clear the game without using a bomb.

That one is actually easy since you can continue as much as you want. Just keep your finger off the Y button and play till the end and don't worry about dying. *plink*

The "Clear the game using X without continuing". ....now those might be tough!!

My impression is that it's not fantastic, but not bad, and imminently playable. This one might have some legs over time, but it's not going to wow and amaze anyone.

I wasn't too keen on paying $50 for a shooter. I remember bitching about paying $30 for Raiden IV. But, when it gets down to it I'm a sucker for these types of games.

My impression is that it's not fantastic, but not bad, and imminently playable. This one might have some legs over time, but it's not going to wow and amaze anyone.

I wasn't too keen on paying $50 for a shooter. I remember bitching about paying $30 for Raiden IV. But, when it gets down to it I'm a sucker for these types of games.

I got the game because I am shump fan and want to support these endeavors on modern consoles. But I have the same impression as you. This game is really a small niche market. I recently picked up Castle Shigami III for the Wii and it is somewhat similar in design and art (however, it was only $10 for the Wii). I don't see them releasing Deathsmiles as a regular release; at least not for $30 or even $20 price point. If they do release it, I'd wait and pick it up in the discount bins. Otherwise, I beleive the limited edition is all that you will be able to buy.

-Lee

I'm surprised they didn't release this as a XBLA title. $49 is a bit steep for a short little shooter, but it looks cute and I'm a sucker for JPN Shooters.

Tempest

LOL So what's the verdict? Do you think you will be picking this one up?

The game features 2 player co-op and I'm having a guys video game tonight (My GF staying at a friends) I plan on breaking this game out. It seems perfect for a nice short little "party" game.

LOL So what's the verdict? Do you think you will be picking this one up?

The game features 2 player co-op and I'm having a guys video game tonight (My GF staying at a friends) I plan on breaking this game out. It seems perfect for a nice short little "party" game.

I got it on Friday, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I got the last copy at my Gamestop, but I have no idea how many they got in. I have a feeling this one could be hard to find in a few months since I don't think it will be released in normal retail stores.

Tempest

I have a feeling this one could be hard to find in a few months since I don't think it will be released in normal retail stores.

I'm thinking the same thing. The only place I've seen it around here was in a Gamestop. I couldn't tell how many they had in since they only had the "fake" empty game cases on display.

The replay value on a game like this is very subjective. If you are a big shooter fan, it's huge, as there are several modes, and it's all about score. Sure you can just breeze through on easy and 'beat' it, but try doing that on hard with a really good score. Yeah, that'll take you quite a few hours.

To play a game like this, you really have to rewind your clock. Modern games have conditioned us to focus solely on getting to the end of the game. With a shooter, it's ALL about scoring and learning all the high level tricks, enemy patterns, and other stuff to take your final score into the stratosphere.

If you like that kind of thing, Deathsmiles is an A+ game with dozens of hours of play. If not, spend your money elsewhere.

For reference, this game has been discussed for years over on shmups.com. It's considered one of Cave's very best shooters.

Well worth the money in my book.

This game is really good. My Amazon pre-order didn't ship quick enough, and I found one in Gamestop because I didn't want to wait. Now I have 2 copies, one sealed that will remain that way. This is a good candidate for collectible status, so maybe in a few years I'll sell it for a profit. Shmups of this quality are almost always highly sought after from my experience.

As far as gameplay, Deathsmiles is a familiar bullet-hell style with gorgeous background and overall graphics. There's something extremely satisfying about going into fever mode and inhaling a screen filling waterfall of skulls. It's scoring system is quite easy to figure out, with little or no secrets needed to refine your scoring technique. What I mean is, compare this to Raiden Fighters, where you basically need to watch a video or be told how to find the Miclus' or you'll never score good points. Deathsmiles is a matter of figuring out the best time for fever mode, and also using the correct attack to gather the most valuable items. I find this game really enjoyable and much less frustrating (actually I've not encountered frustration with it yet) than most other shmups I've played.

Edited by Gunstarhero

I have a feeling this one could be hard to find in a few months since I don't think it will be released in normal retail stores.

I'm thinking the same thing. The only place I've seen it around here was in a Gamestop. I couldn't tell how many they had in since they only had the "fake" empty game cases on display.

I hope that doesn't mean they went about opening them. :ponder:

I saw they had some sealed copies at the store yesterday. I'll probably pick up a copy depending on the price as I enjoy these types of games. (Even if I won't be getting a 360 til next year at the earliest still.)

• 3 months later...