IGNORED

This is how far back you need to stand to use Kinect

xg4bx

http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/blogs/how-far-back-stand-use-kinect.html

By our estimates, the distance required between the player and the Kinect camera seems to be around 2.5 meters, and although the technical specifications released on Play.com suggest that Kinect's 'depth sensor range' is between 1.2m-3.5m, we found that the hardware failed to pick up our forearms, legs and feet if we stood any closer, rendering the game pretty much unplayable.

if you're planning on buying it, enjoy. but i'll be damned if i'm rearranging my living room to play games :P

i wash my hands of this and move, theres too many games coming out this fall for me to bother with either.

Wow that sucks. So if I have this super awesome peripheral set up in my living room I can't play it because I'd have to move my coffee table out of the way (Kinda like I have to do when I play the Wii). No way am I getting it now. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

If the 2.5m minimum figure is correct, it does leave some people out. I'd have to push my chair back a good bit, but I could make the space. Don't know about the folks in some of the neighborhoods around here.

shotgun2.jpg

But then again, it's all a bit silly to think about, since nobody's going to use the damn thing anyway. Seriously, is anybody predicting even moderate success for kinect? I'll buy one on clearance to stick on the shelf, but that's probably going to be the extent of my involvement.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I predict, and hope, that it will be a huge failure. Then MS will realize that they are already doing what they are good at as far as the kind of gamer their console caters to. They need to forget about kinect and focus on making sure the next console has an acceptable failure rate. The software side of the console is so good. The development tools are so good. The API for development is so good. The hardware performance is so good. The controller is so good. So many of the games are so good. There is really only one thing people hammer them with. If they get it right the next time they will have nothing to worry about. Let Nintendo cater to the people who "ooh" and "ahh" over motion controls and focus on fixing the thing that has probably lowered the sales numbers by millions. Microsoft does not need to be a jack of all trades.

Kinect does not Kinect with hardcore players at all. Causuals are supposed to spend 300 on a system and then 150 or so bucks on the sensor bar? and then 2 games? hella no.

they will get the black wii with 2 games for 200.

kinect lost before it started..

Kinect has taken an adjustment period for me since I'm an oldschool gamer. I have to remind myself how much of a mental adjustment it was for me to really embrace controller+TV based console gaming back when we did V1 Xbox. Maybe the best thing I can say is "Wait and see."

Well, that... and the guy from the picture above isn't going to be able to play it in his Saturn.

-edit-

To be a little more clear: I do believe that Kinect will prove out to be successful. To the point that I left my Xbox 360 PM role to move to Kinect just as I left MGS to move to the Xbox project years ago.

Edited by FastRobPlus

I'm not sold on it yet. If the games are fun, and not just mini games or Wii ripoffs then I'll probably end up getting Kinnect. I'm just worried that it won't be the case. The best Wii games IMHO are games like the Super Mario Galaxy series. They use motion controls perfectly. Will a game with that kind of depth be possible on Kinnect? I just don't see it working.

To me Kinnect looks like a platform for party style games and mini game collections. I've played enough crap games like that on the Wii to know that unless a game like that is VERY well done I won't be buying.

Ultimately, software will be the deciding factor as to whether I consider Kinect or not (the distance isn't a factor for me). That said, I have seen absolutely NO compelling Kinect-exclusive content at this point. Combine that to the fact that expensive hardware add-ons have never sold well and there doesn't seem to be much of a chance of it catching on. Drop the price to $99 and throw in a couple of bundled games and then maybe, JUST MAYBE, you'll get some numbers behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

What will happen is that this will bomb terribly which will give Microsoft reason to not include it in the NEXT Xbox. "See? No one wanted it!"

Nintendo has it right though. If you want a peripheral to be successful (and possibly change gaming), you MUST include it with the console.

Edited by Gregory DG