IGNORED

Ature, my homebrew action adventure game for Atari 2600.

beoran

So scalpers who have no vested interest in homebrew for pre-crash video game consoles can buy them out in ten minutes and hock the games on eBay. I honestly hope homebrew never gets mainstream enough that somebody puts out "an app for that." :roll:

Trust me when I say that would never happen. Why would a scalper buy a 2600 homebrew and maybe make 20 bucks when they can make hundreds on concert tickets or other stuff teens are into. I know what you mean, but I've been gone for a while and have missed out on some stuff, most notably Princess Rescue. There is just no way in hell I'm going to pay $150-$200 for it. In the past I've seen new homebrew sales get posted in the 2600, Marketplace, and Programming forums. I would just love to see one spot to watch for these. But yes, an app would be nice too. ;)

Trust me when I say that would never happen. Why would a scalper buy a 2600 homebrew and maybe make 20 bucks when they can make hundreds on concert tickets or other stuff teens are into. I know what you mean, but I've been gone for a while and have missed out on some stuff, most notably Princess Rescue. There is just no way in hell I'm going to pay $150-$200 for it. In the past I've seen new homebrew sales get posted in the 2600, Marketplace, and Programming forums. I would just love to see one spot to watch for these. But yes, an app would be nice too. ;)

No need to develop an "app." Maybe someone start a "New games" announcement thread, and homebrewers just make a post linking to their for sale threads onsite or not. Then everyone interested simply subscribes to the thread, and make it clear the thread is for new game announcements only so it doesn't get filled with "that's awesome" type posts. We have similar threads in each console's respective forum that link to publicly available homebrew ROMs, so why not somebody do the same for sales?

• Like 2

No need to develop an "app." Maybe someone start a "New games" announcement thread, and homebrewers just make a post linking to their for sale threads onsite or not. Then everyone interested simply subscribes to the thread, and make it clear the thread is for new game announcements only so it doesn't get filled with "that's awesome" type posts. We have similar threads in each console's respective forum that link to publicly available homebrew ROMs, so why not somebody do the same for sales?

That would be perfect.

• Like 1

This is a very good idea. I hate to sound spent-brained, although I did party a lot back in the day, but I just can't keep track of all these new threads. A single thread for new releases would be a god send.

• Like 1

Yeah, it would be nice to have something that aggregated all homebrew releases into a list or something that could be regularly updated. I too was once nose deep in the HB and hack scene and took about 8 years off to do whatever. Now I am looking to get back in and I am severely out of the loop and having a hard time getting back in. Something would be nice. It can be difficult to follow technical development threads and track down specific information. I am willing to help be part of the process, but don't have the time or resources right now to spearhead the effort.

:spidey:

OT: I picked up Ature at a con back when it was first released and have LOVED it ever since. Great adventure game for the 2600! If you don't have it yet, don't miss the chance to get it.

Edited by StanJr

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm glad to hear that new people are still finding and enjoying my game. :)

For people who want a physical cart, I hate to sound pessimistic but I haven't heard from DerLuchs in months now so looks like the PAL release has been "postphoned indefinitely".

However, remember that the ROM is free to use for anyone so if you want a physical copy, you might just want to make one for yourself.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Neogeoman said:

I know this is an old thread but I was interested in buying a physical 2600 cart secondhand and only found one gameplay video on YouTube and one on AA. The game looks amazing but both videos have no sound/sound effects. Would anyone know if the game has any sound? Thx

There is a binary for it in the first post. I assume it is the same as what is on the cart. If so, then yes, it has sound. You can always download it and try it in an emulator if you are on the fence.

8 hours ago, s0c7 said:

There is a binary for it in the first post. I assume it is the same as what is on the cart. If so, then yes, it has sound. You can always download it and try it in an emulator if you are on the fence.

Thanks for getting back to me I appreciate it. I'm going to try downloading it and giving it a go. The game looks awesome, cant believe its running on a 2600. Its amazing what programmers can do now.

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Ature on tomorrow's (Tue Mar 23, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have no answer to the question but the last time @beoran logged in here was Sep 2021 so he doesn't seem active unless he's lurking logged out for years.  Regardless, thanks for bumping the thread as I've been looking for action adventure and RPG style game examples on the 2600 and this homebrew Zelda style one definitely fits the bill.  Nice job!

• 2 months later...