IGNORED

CGE RetroRumble Tournaments

Albert

I'm working with Joe of Digital Press on a set of "RetroRumble Tournaments" at CGE later this month. We're going to have tournaments setup Saturday and Sunday on a variety of systems, and we'd like to get your input on which games you'd like to play. The format for the tournaments will be 2 or 4 player head-to-head games for bracket play.

One game I know we're going to include is Medieval Mayhem for the 2600, which is a much better version of Warlords. I better make sure I have some pristine paddles prepped for the show! :)

Please suggest other games for the 2600, 5200, 7800 and other classic systems that you think would work well in a tournament environment!

Thanks,

..Al

I think we could have fishing derby, Freeway, Track and Field and or decathlon would be good.

I can't think of others but a good Idea for the tourney I think is double elimination, meaning you have to lose twice to be out of the run to the championships.

It will make it more interesting

World Karate Championship, Ballblazer and Archon (default game would probably be too long but there are ways to shorten it, it is a classic game that I think should be played somehow) for the Atari 8 bit are great head to head games. Combat, Kaboom, Pele's Soccer for the 2600 are great, I think Kaboom even has a mode where one player can be the mad bomber and the other player has to catch the bombs, that might have been only in the 8 bit version but it is great fun. Those are off the top of my head, I will try to think of some more.

Boxing! :)

I also would like to see pair people off and do that co-op variation of Space Invaders with the big ships on hard difficulty! Each team goes until the end, you add the two scores up for team score (I can't remember if it adds it or not) and then there's a "leader board" and the top 4 or something pair off to a shoot-off! The game doesn't take too long to complete and you can just have teams randomly throughout the day whenever as long as a "judge" is present, and then you can schedule the team face-offs for the evening or something! :thumbsup:

Medieval Mayhem is also a definite in my book! EDIT: D'oh! You already have that as a definite. Huzzah!

I second Ballblazer, that could be a lot of fun.

I think 7800 Asteroids had some kind of two player competition mode IIRC, while 4 player 8-bit Asteroids is pretty insane.

Swoops makes for a nice high score game.

Air-Sea Battle is always a good one.

Tempest

I'm not sure if the Sega Genesis is old enough to be considered classic but NHL 94 is revered by hockey video gamers to this day and Mortal Kombat II was a great fighting game that I think would work very well in a tournament structure, although if there's lots of kids we could switch to a Street Fighter. If I can help stage an NHL tournament, please let me know, I absolutely love this game.

I'm not sure if the Sega Genesis is old enough to be considered classic but NHL 94 is revered by hockey video gamers to this day and Mortal Kombat II was a great fighting game that I think would work very well in a tournament structure, although if there's lots of kids we could switch to a Street Fighter. If I can help stage an NHL tournament, please let me know, I absolutely love this game.

I like an idea for ANY sports game tourney

• 2 weeks later...

A Kaze pinball game

Rollerball

Revenge of the Gator

Alien Crush TG-16

Devil's Crush TG-16 or Genesis (aka Dragon's Fury)

Super Puyo Puyo Tsuu Remix (up to 4 players)

Top Gear SNES

Lotus II Genesis

Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf

Bomberman games

Contra games

Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon

Micro Machines (if anyone has TT '96 for Genesis, that one sounds like the definitive one)

Edited by BrianC

World Karate Championship, Ballblazer and Archon (default game would probably be too long but there are ways to shorten it, it is a classic game that I think should be played somehow) for the Atari 8 bit are great head to head games. Combat, Kaboom, Pele's Soccer for the 2600 are great, I think Kaboom even has a mode where one player can be the mad bomber and the other player has to catch the bombs, that might have been only in the 8 bit version but it is great fun. Those are off the top of my head, I will try to think of some more.

I second the World Karate Championship. I think a M.U.L.E. tourney on a 4 port Atari 8-bit would be great too.

Cliff

Some others I would like to see:

Indy 500 2600

Sky Diver 2600

Joust

Mario Bros XL/XE

Asteroids 7800

Asteroids 800

Centipede 7800

NBA Jam TE 32x or Genesis

Tengen Tetris NES

Tengen Ms. Pac-Man NES

Dungeon Explorer TG-16 or SEGA CD

Gauntlet IV Genesis

X-Men vs. Street Fighter Saturn

Vampire Savior Saturn

Final Fight SEGA CD

Life Force NES

Pop 'n Twinbee SFC (if possible)

I second the World Karate Championship. I think a M.U.L.E. tourney on a 4 port Atari 8-bit would be great too.

Cliff

I love the idea of a 4 player MULE tournament but it would take a long time, the 3 player games of MULE I used to play took about an hour, although that was on the longer tournament mode.