IGNORED

7800 Piggyback Expansion Module comes to life!

Curt Vendel

Um, will that mean a new power supply will be needed? Does the stock one provide enough amperage?

I had to ask.

The stock 7800 power supply is pretty beefy (1000mA, as I recall), so it should be powerful enough. The Expansion Module doesn't add much except RAM and POKEY, both of which have always been powered by the cartridge slot in the past.

Very nice job on the Expansion Module case design, by the way: it really blends in nicely with the original console. Two persnickety questions: will the final case have a textured surface to match the original, or will it be a smooth glossy surface (as it seems to be in the pictures)? Also, since it covers the original face plate, will there be any kind of face plate on the Expansion Module?

It will match the exact texturing on the top and smooth sides as the 7800 and yes it will have a brushed aluminum name plate with rainbow line and say "7800 Expansion Module"

It will also come in a professional box as well, this is meant to really have the look and feel of it being on a store shelf from 1984.

Um, will that mean a new power supply will be needed? Does the stock one provide enough amperage?

I had to ask.

The stock 7800 power supply is pretty beefy (1000mA, as I recall), so it should be powerful enough. The Expansion Module doesn't add much except RAM and POKEY, both of which have always been powered by the cartridge slot in the past.

Very nice job on the Expansion Module case design, by the way: it really blends in nicely with the original console. Two persnickety questions: will the final case have a textured surface to match the original, or will it be a smooth glossy surface (as it seems to be in the pictures)? Also, since it covers the original face plate, will there be any kind of face plate on the Expansion Module?

• Like 4

It will match the exact texturing on the top and smooth sides as the 7800 and yes it will have a brushed aluminum name plate with rainbow line and say "7800 Expansion Module"

It will also come in a professional box as well, this is meant to really have the look and feel of it being on a store shelf from 1984.

Very impressive, especially considering the price point! I'm sure that brushed aluminum plates in particular aren't cheap to make.

I know I'll be buying (at least) one of these for sure!

I am really pleased to hear this. The authenticity of the aluminum name plate that says "7800 Expansion Module" and the original 1984-style box really highlight the beauty of this project for those who not only appreciate the hardware capabilities and great games, but also the packaging, "retail" experience, etc.

Really great job.

Has the packaging been designed yet?

I am really pleased to hear this. The authenticity of the aluminum name plate that says "7800 Expansion Module" and the original 1984-style box really highlight the beauty of this project for those who not only appreciate the hardware capabilities and great games, but also the packaging, "retail" experience, etc.

Really great job.

fantastic!!!!

I can't hardly wait for it.

Now if I could just a composite video mod for my 7800......

So if "7800 Expansion Module" isn't a good name...

What about "7800 Super Game Module"

We steal the moniker from Colecovision for its prototype Wafer module. I mean - all of the next games will be Super Games since they'll be able to use more memory, have high score capability and Pokey or Advance Audio Chip sound.

I'm going to be working on the label samples in August, so I would certainly like to hear what everyone feels should be the final name of the module. I will open a poll here in the 7800 Forum and cross post a link here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166617-poll-new-module-name/

Curt

• Like 1

Very impressive, especially considering the price point! I'm sure that brushed aluminum plates in particular aren't cheap to make.

I know I'll be buying (at least) one of these for sure!

I'll echo jaybird's thoughts...sounds very cool, can't wait to buy one (or more icon_smile.gif ).

We steal the moniker from Colecovision for its prototype Wafer module. I mean - all of the next games will be Super Games since they'll be able to use more memory, have high score capability and Pokey or Advance Audio Chip sound.

I'm going to be working on the label samples in August, so I would certainly like to hear what everyone feels should be the final name of the module. I will open a poll here in the 7800 Forum and cross post a link here:

Curt

well.........

How about these:

The Atari 360

the Abox

The Super happy fun box.

the Playstation 4

Just add a SID chip in it with a Pokey and call it Gumby damnit!

The Vedel 7800

Or just call it the Curt, it's short, to the point, and curt!!!!

As long as I can call it mine, I will be happy!

Curt

well.........

How about these:

The Atari 360

the Abox

The Super happy fun box.

the Playstation 4

The Vedel 7800

oh and to commemorate this event, I peeled off the protective plastic cover from my faceplate!! Owwwwwwww shiny.

Really great job.

As for names for the unit, how about:

the Atari 360

Abox

Super Happy Fun Module

the Atari Entertainment System

the Vendel 7800

The Atari 360

the Abox

the Playstation 4

The Vedel 7800

Or just the Curt, it's short, to the point and curt!!!

Anyone else have any ideas??

Edited by MaDDuck

Curt

well.........

How about these:

The Atari 360

the Abox

the Playstation 4

The Vedel 7800

the Atari 360

Abox

Super Happy Fun Module

the Atari Entertainment System

the Playstation 4

oh and to commemorate this event, I peeled off the protective plastic cover from my faceplate!! Owwwwwwww shiny.

Super Game Module sounds pretty strait forward, to the point and gets my thumbs up. :) Reminds me of something SEGA might have named an add-on for the Anglophone market. But wasn't that about the time when companies where also trying to position consoles like the Colecovision and even a couple companies targeted add-ons for the 2600, as more than game machines, but the potential to be computers - even though that's what most people used their expansions for, better games. I think if it had come to market, they might have emphasized that potential and picked something a little unusual, less fathomable and more alphanumeric ie XEGS, probably cringe-worthy, possibly something the kids could find unintentional sexual innuendo from, like for example.

These are just for fun.:

7800 Super Expander

7800 Super Expansion System

7800 Super Enhancement System

or to make it more obvious

7800 Super Enhancement Xystem

7800 Super Expansion Xystem

Or taking the Prosystem moniker further.

7800 Super System

7800 Super Prosystem

7800 Expander Pro

Naw, I like Curts..

Super Game Module sounds pretty strait forward, to the point and gets my thumbs up. :) Reminds me of something SEGA might have named an add-on for the Anglophone market. But wasn't that about the time when companies where also trying to position consoles like the Colecovision and even a couple companies targeted add-ons for the 2600, as more than game machines, but the potential to be computers - even though that's what most people used their expansions for, better games. I think if it had come to market, they might have emphasized that potential and picked something a little unusual, less fathomable and more alphanumeric ie XEGS, probably cringe-worthy, possibly something the kids could find unintentional sexual innuendo from, like for example.

These are just for fun.:

7800 Super Expander

7800 Super Expansion System

7800 Super Enhancement System

or to make it more obvious

7800 Super Enhancement Xystem

7800 Super Expansion Xystem

Or taking the Prosystem moniker further.

7800 Super System

7800 Super Prosystem

7800 Expander Pro

Naw, I like Curts..

Well, we do have an entire thread for discussing names for the thing, but I doubt an add-on would be called a system. It's not a system.

I had to ask.

That means I'll get to make a new power supply for my 7800. It's a custom job, uses a Sega 800mA supply that won't run for tournament type things, but will work for a good long while. I'll get to make a new one for it using a higher amperage one.

I like these things (plus the tip is different, uses a stock 2600 phono style one instead of the two prong thing Atari had on it).

If you want a real throwback to Atari packaging in the day, make sure the box has some sort of "coming soon" with screenshots (even if just mocked up) of the games and apps planned for it on the back of the box. Will make the packaging even more exciting.

If you want a real throwback to Atari packaging in the day, make sure the box has some sort of "coming soon" with screenshots (even if just mocked up) of the games and apps planned for it on the back of the box. Will make the packaging even more exciting.

I think that would be cool, particularly if they improved upon Atari's trend of actually releasing what they advertised on the box! ;-)

Case in point:

http://www.atari7800.org/screenshots/Sky_Foxscreen.htm

I think that would be cool, particularly if they improved upon Atari's trend of actually releasing what they advertised on the box! ;-)

Case in point:

http://www.atari7800.org/screenshots/Sky_Foxscreen.htm

Another example - 7800 box and 5200 trak ball box

post-1159-128027939193_thumb.jpg.jpg]post-1159-128027940202_thumb.jpg.jpg]