IGNORED

7800 Piggyback Expansion Module comes to life!

Curt Vendel

I disagree. There is more to the expansion module than RAM and POKEY. It has several NES like mappers built in purely for reducing the CPU cycle load for certain types of games. This will allow homebrewers to make more interesting games or achieve faster frame rates by shifting some of the grunt work onto the hardware.

So in theory could it do a Sonic The Hedgehog?

I had read it somewhere here. ;) But I won't change my view unless you can make it work

A lot has been said about what the 7800 can and cannot do. A great deal of it is misinformation probably based on comparisons of its back catalogue :(.

I'll pass on Sonic. Its not my kind of game.

So in theory could it do a Sonic The Hedgehog?

If you really want to play Sonic on an 8-bit video game console, just fire up the Sega Master System version (or is it the Game Gear version?), which will probably give you an idea of what Sonic would look like and play like on the 7800. As I said earlier in this thread, let's save the all-too-scarce resources of 7800 developers for new games, not games that have already been done to death on other platforms.

• Like 1

I was wondering if there will be any videos of this and the demos taken at this years CGE 2010 and put up on youtube, I will not be able to go this year.Thank you for your time.

Same here. Las Vegas is a bit of a hike for a college student in Chicago! Though I am taking a keen interest in this module. Maybe it will be a good Xmas present

If you really want to play Sonic on an 8-bit video game console, just fire up the Sega Master System version (or is it the Game Gear version?)

8-bit Sonic 1 is on both Sega Master System and Game Gear. It's similar on both systems, but the SMS and GG versions have some noticeable differences. Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, and Sonic Blast are also on both SMS and GG. Sonic Blast is one of those odd Brazilian games that looks like a quick GG to SMS port, though.

I was wondering if there will be any videos of this and the demos taken at this years CGE 2010 and put up on youtube, I will not be able to go this year.Thank you for your time.

Same here. Las Vegas is a bit of a hike for a college student in Chicago! Though I am taking a keen interest in this module. Maybe it will be a good Xmas present

I am also a college student, I am from Indiana,plus that is when my family is taking your summer vacation down to florida. Maybe they could also put a link on the forum for the video.

Admit it, they are very similar.

Well ... they both plug into the cartridge slot. Other than that, there's only the most superficial resemblance between the 32X and the 7800 Expansion Module: their purposes are different, and the things they add to their respective consoles are different.

• Like 2

You know what this 7800 module reminds me of?

Admit it, they are very similar.

:roll: Apart from the fact that they are both made in black plastic and sit on top of the console they have absolutely nothing in common.

I'm not saying the module is a bad thing, if that's what the :roll: is about. I'm just saying that they are both cart-loading expansions that make their systems more powerful.

I'm not saying the module is a bad thing, if that's what the :roll: is about. I'm just saying that they are both cart-loading expansions that make their systems more powerful.

What is it that makes it so hard for people to understand what the expansion module actually is??? :x

The 32X added two SH-2 32-bit RISC processors to the Genesis to transform it from a 16-bit system capable of processing about a million instructions a second to a 32-bit system capable of tens of millions of instructions a second. It also substantially extended the graphics hardware of the Genesis well out of the mapper territory. Suddenly, the Genesis (which had a palette of 512 colors) could display 32,000 on-screen with one attached, could display 3D texture mapped polygons etc.

All the expansion module is doing is taking hardware typically added to cartridges in the 8-bit era (7800 or NES) and consolidating them into one unit.

It's not suddenly turning the 7800 into a 16-bit system, giving MARIA 4000 colors etc.

Everything in it was typical in the era.

How many times does this have to be explained?

And why are you people trying to be such damn killjoys? Are you trying to discourage Curt, Mark, Eduardo and gang from working hard on this with the constant nitting and pessimism?

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 5

NO MORE KILLJOYS! Deleting posts and consequenses aren't any fun, but enjoying the talent and appreciaton for many's work on the forums here is.

Thank you. :)

I'm not being a killjoy, but I can see why people might percieve it that way. See, in comparing 7800 Module to 32X I was being positive, because I consider 32X a neat and interesting half-system. I guess people must have thought I was saying this 7800 Module was an ugly, weak, useless add-on that shouldn't have been made, or something along those lines. But I wasn't. So let's end this useless discussion and get back on topic. :)

Not at all, nobody said they thought the 32X was lame. They were telling you they are totally different types of add-on. Please read the other posts.

DracIsBack was saying that I was being a killjoy and trying to discourage the team that made this by comparing it to 32X. And I'm saying that I', not, and the comparison isn't an insult.

I'm not being a killjoy, but I can see why people might percieve it that way. See, in comparing 7800 Module to 32X I was being positive, because I consider 32X a neat and interesting half-system. I guess people must have thought I was saying this 7800 Module was an ugly, weak, useless add-on that shouldn't have been made, or something along those lines. But I wasn't. So let's end this useless discussion and get back on topic. :)

The people behind the 7800 Expansion Module don't want it to be perceived as something that transforms the 7800 into a different system, which is what the strong reaction was about. I explained why a 32X-style upgrade would have been a bad idea in two earlier posts.

I'm so glad the Expansion Module is finally out there for people to see. Now, we finally don't need to have extra RAM and POKEY inside every cartridge, and we finally have improved HSC functionality which doesn't rely on a scarce pass-through cartridge. The 7800 just became the richest and most exciting homebrew platform, and I think its best days are yet to come. Not bad for a system that was a distant third in the marketplace against the NES and SMS over twenty years ago! All that's missing now is a source for new cartridge shells.

• Like 4