IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

50 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Yeah, there's just a lot of size conversion warnings. I would want to audit them before I called it good to go. ;)

No hurry.  Can a 64-bit executable load 32-bit DLLs?  For testing, I dropped the 64-bit build into my classic99 folder and it, of course, will not load the cartpack, and apparently the speech or sid DLLs.

17 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

No hurry.  Can a 64-bit executable load 32-bit DLLs?  For testing, I dropped the 64-bit build into my classic99 folder and it, of course, will not load the cartpack, and apparently the speech or sid DLLs.

I didn't try, but I would imagine not. It's not like ARM where 16 and 32 bit code can live side by side in the same app. I'll have to do a full 64-bit build.

There's no other advantage besides improving compatibility (apparently), that's why I didn't switch to 64-bit builds back in the day. But I guess we're pretty far along now...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tursi said:

I didn't try, but I would imagine not. It's not like ARM where 16 and 32 bit code can live side by side in the same app. I'll have to do a full 64-bit build.

There's no other advantage besides improving compatibility (apparently), that's why I didn't switch to 64-bit builds back in the day. But I guess we're pretty far along now...

I honestly cannot see how C99 will benefit from a 64-bit version on Windows.  Plus, it means I can still use the now-missing DLLs.

Well, if it makes it work on Wine, I guess that's reason enough. I was going to ask if Classic99 v4 works in Wine, but I guess since it can build natively for Mac it doesn't matter.

I haven't been really excited about V4 cause it feels like a lot of work for a degraded experience. Making it cross platform makes the debug stuff a lot harder to maintain, and since I don't need it to be cross platform, it's a pain. But I probably should get it done. ;)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to drop a note in here to thank you, @Tursi, for Classic99's verbose debug log.  It caught a silly mistake today that was certain to cause me grief on the real hardware:

Warning: Calling DSR without setting GPLWS may not work on hw (WP=>8370)!
Warning: DSRLNK functions MUST store the CRU base of the device at >83F8 (GPLWS R12) to avoid a crash on hw! (Got >0000)

Sure enough, I had typed ">8370" as my GPLWS equate.  I stared at my mistake in disbelief for a few moments before correcting it to >83e0, the value we all know and love. :)  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

@tursi

your tipi 'emulation' is cool but we need a TIPI. drive mapped to something to use stewart's browser.. any chance you can make that an alias of a drive? maybe? please? :) 

I don't understand the problem - what's missing?

It was my belief that the TIPI version of the browser used volume name mechanism to lookup the file access stuff... As long as the files from the associated disk are available in DSK.BROWSER. I'd think it would work.

... TESTING...

Oh, Stuart hard coded the path TIPI.BROWSER.FONT into the thing even though his instructions say to use the DSK.BROWSER mechanism... It seems. Although I can't find that when I hexedit the disk... probably cause I'm not awake enough to deal with the EA Option 3 compressed encoding.

So, while watching the classic99 debugger log, it appears to map device name TIPI to DSK0, the browser expects a directory named 'BROWSER' to contain the FONT file. I don't think I've ever seen directory features work in classic99... 

A workaround that just worked for me, was to take the files in the BROWSER disk image, and make a directory for DSK0, and copy those disk image files into this directory, and then rename them to have the directory prefix... so rename FONT to BROWSER.FONT, etc.. then classic99 can find something called TIPI.BROWSER.FONT

Do the same for all the files in there. 

• Like 4

Yea other than a BBS using the TI on the Internet is cool but so totally specialized as to be completely novel.

I mean yea there are other computers doing this, but they also become specialized too.

After all you are using a PI to do this not really the TI99/4A are you?

(What was the name of that PC card you put into the TI99/4A P-Box?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Seems like a lot of fudging around when we can just use Google on all our modern devices.  Was the TI ever meant to be pushed this far, people accessing the internet on it other than Texnet with BBS?  

Edit:  Ignore me, I'm tired and I'm being a Curmudgeon. 

We climb the mountain because it is there, old man. :P

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

It was my belief that the TIPI version of the browser used volume name mechanism to lookup the file access stuff... As long as the files from the associated disk are available in DSK.BROWSER. I'd think it would work.

... TESTING...

Oh, Stuart hard coded the path TIPI.BROWSER.FONT into the thing even though his instructions say to use the DSK.BROWSER mechanism... It seems. Although I can't find that when I hexedit the disk... probably cause I'm not awake enough to deal with the EA Option 3 compressed encoding.

So, while watching the classic99 debugger log, it appears to map device name TIPI to DSK0, the browser expects a directory named 'BROWSER' to contain the FONT file. I don't think I've ever seen directory features work in classic99... 

A workaround that just worked for me, was to take the files in the BROWSER disk image, and make a directory for DSK0, and copy those disk image files into this directory, and then rename them to have the directory prefix... so rename FONT to BROWSER.FONT, etc.. then classic99 can find something called TIPI.BROWSER.FONT

Do the same for all the files in there. 

set DSK0. to my TIPI share.. BROWSER.FONT is definitely there

image.png.1238f0e615f50bdade3ab59938d61ca4.png

2 hours ago, RXB said:

Yea other than a BBS using the TI on the Internet is cool but so totally specialized as to be completely novel.

I mean yea there are other computers doing this, but they also become specialized too.

After all you are using a PI to do this not really the TI99/4A are you?

(What was the name of that PC card you put into the TI99/4A P-Box?)

The PI is just providing the TCP/IP stack. There is fun to be had in implementing HTTP as Stuart has, or telnet, ftp, and Gemini as I have. In all of these cases the PI and TIPI are just providing a socket. All the actual protocol handling has been done on the 4A. 

Cause it was fun to write. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

The windows file name (not path) has to be "BROWSER.FONT"  cause classic99 doesn't see the dot as a directory.

On the TIPI share you have a directory called "BROWSER" and in there you have a file called "FONT"... You need a file, no directory.

50 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

The windows file name (not path) has to be "BROWSER.FONT"  cause classic99 doesn't see the dot as a directory.

On the TIPI share you have a directory called "BROWSER" and in there you have a file called "FONT"... You need a file, no directory.

ahhh k.. no directory

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Cause it was fun to write. 

Of course.  As I say, ignore that statement, I did try to delete it but I wasn't allowed to do just that and had to write something ... had no clue what ... but yeah I was very tired when I wrote that particularly miserable piece.  I don't wanna poo-poo anyone's fun.  I'd be the last person to do that.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Seems like a lot of fudging around when we can just use Google on all our modern devices.  Was the TI ever meant to be pushed this far, people accessing the internet on it other than Texnet with BBS?  

Edit:  Ignore me, I'm tired and I'm being a Curmudgeon.    

#NoLimits  🤪

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Definitely do not recommend that you ever map the root of a drive to Classic99 - it can access every file under that path. It has checks to prevent backing out of a folder but I can't help you if you map it all. ;)

I do vaguely remember this. I might have hacked my copy to use the backslash so Classic99 worked... but ultimately, I need to put the proper path management that I myself proposed like a decade ago into my own emulator. ;)

• Like 3