IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

@Tursi - I didn't capture the information, but when I ran Classic99 for the first time, Wine said - O' I need this and that, can I install it.  So it was able to grab the things it needed.

I liked wine/cross over in that it doesn't require a full Windows install and license, over parallels which is a more complete emulation, but does require a full install and windows XX license.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

- add ability to read WinAsm99/EA listing files or GCC map files to extract symbols for the disassembly screen
- add support for the F18A BML (overtop of tiles only right now, won't draw fat pixels if only half of it's onscreen)
- packed in the 64-bit build as well (but it's still not considered production)

Website might take a day to update but if you download you'll get the latest since it pulls right from github.

https://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

I also updated the copyright year to 2024. Which according to the Help->About screen will mean 2024 is the 30th anniversary of starting Classic99. And if THAT doesn't make me feel old, not much will! ;)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Maybe a special anniversary release for the Amiga?

Haha! Hmm. That would tie it all up rather nicely. ;) But I don't have enough time on the Amiga hardware to make it at all performant, and the one I bought only has an 020 in it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 3:04 PM, dhe said:

As a data point, I'm running the last release WIN32, on an Apple M2 with CrossOver and so far, seems to work great.

I'm investigating Crossover on my M2 pro Mini. I've got Classic99 working in most respects, with one important exception: I can't get it to associate any of its drives with my TIPI (or any folder thereon). This is by means of shared wifi. The Mac sees the PI directory and I can move files from PI to Mac and back. An old HP laptop running Classic99 associates drive 4 with the TIPI using the path \\tipi\TIPI\ASSEM (ASSEM being my folder of assembly stuff), but that doesn't work on the Mac. And even Wine sees the ASSEM directory (volumes/TIPI/ASSEM). 

Any thoughts on making this final link? It's convenient to have both the TI and Classic99 seeing the same directory. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Captain Cozmos said:

I just picked up the newest version.

Where do you keep the change log history because the What's New hasn't been updated since 2022 from what I can find.

Hi:

The Whatsnew file is current also.

Latest version is Classic99 QI399.066

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

It must be where I get it from.

Whatsnew.txt has 28 Mar 99 as the first and 8 Apl 2022 as the last entry

edit:

just got it direct from the source page instead of an emulator website

your correct, it's all there.

I do not support /any/ site other than Harmlesslion.com (or directly to github.com at your own discretion) distributing my software. You're on your own as they tend to repack the archive and god knows what else they do to it - I certainly have no control. 

On 1/23/2024 at 10:42 AM, Reciprocating Bill said:

I'm investigating Crossover on my M2 pro Mini. I've got Classic99 working in most respects, with one important exception: I can't get it to associate any of its drives with my TIPI (or any folder thereon). This is by means of shared wifi. The Mac sees the PI directory and I can move files from PI to Mac and back. An old HP laptop running Classic99 associates drive 4 with the TIPI using the path \\tipi\TIPI\ASSEM (ASSEM being my folder of assembly stuff), but that doesn't work on the Mac. And even Wine sees the ASSEM directory (volumes/TIPI/ASSEM). 

Any thoughts on making this final link? It's convenient to have both the TI and Classic99 seeing the same directory. 

I just noticed this.. but I don't actually understand this request. What are you asking me to do?

Network shares should work just fine as drive paths.

40 minutes ago, Tursi said:

I do not support /any/ site other than Harmlesslion.com (or directly to github.com at your own discretion) distributing my software. You're on your own as they tend to repack the archive and god knows what else they do to it - I certainly have no control. 

I usually get the latest releases of various emulators from Emu France.  That way I don't have to go to 50 different links.
What I suspect they are doing, or someone, is compiling the executable by itself or just taking the executable and adding it directly to the zip package.

I don't know, but when I picked it up from your website it was as it should be.

Lately I've only been updating maybe 3 things which is MAME, Classic 99 and GearColeco.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

41 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Network shares should work just fine as drive paths.

Can confirm.  I have a home folder on my NAS, and all of my computers' Classic99 folder link to the network share so everything is the same on all of them.

1 hour ago, Captain Cozmos said:

I usually get the latest releases of various emulators from Emu France.  That way I don't have to go to 50 different links.
What I suspect they are doing, or someone, is compiling the executable by itself or just taking the executable and adding it directly to the zip package.

I don't know, but when I picked it up from your website it was as it should be.

Lately I've only been updating maybe 3 things which is MAME, Classic 99 and GearColeco.

Well, my license explicitly prohibits sites from changing the archive. Recompiling and redistributing is a full on violation. (Fortunately I am pretty sure they aren't building it, as the build system is a mess and few people ever have. ;) )

I'm aware of EmuFrance. They used to be pretty quick to pick up the updates, but they used to just link to me too ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

Well, my license explicitly prohibits sites from changing the archive. Recompiling and redistributing is a full on violation. (Fortunately I am pretty sure they aren't building it, as the build system is a mess and few people ever have. ;) )

I'm aware of EmuFrance. They used to be pretty quick to pick up the updates, but they used to just link to me too ;)

Hi:

Some sites may use the old link from hrmlesslion.com, thus, they'll never get the latest.  I made that mistake, just bookmarking the link.  However, when you switched to using Github to distribute, I observed that.  So, every-so-often, I check harmlesslion.com to make sure I have the correct link.  That's always the safest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tursi said:

I just noticed this.. but I don't actually understand this request. What are you asking me to do?

I've been testing Classic99 on my M2 Mac using Crossover/Wine. Via my wifi network I'm attempting to point the Classic99 DSK4 at my TIPI volume (and to my ASSEM directory on TIPI). TIPI mounts on my Mac desktop and I can move files to and from PI and Mac. In Classic99 I've pointed DSK4 to the directory /volumes/TIPI\ASSEM\. If I choose DISK/DSK4/Open DSK4 the ASSEM directory on the PI is displayed by Classic99. However: using E/A, any attempt to open a file (either to edit a source or load and run an object) on that volume results in "I/0 ERROR CODE 7." If I drag those same files onto the local DSK2 folder in the Classic99 folder they work fine (a tolerable workaround).

So, am I missing something vis the directory I've entered?  

I also have an HP laptop that successfully points to TIPI vis the path \\tipi\TIPI\ASSEM\, but using the same path results in the amazingly uninformative WINE error, "General Failure" on the Mac. 

5 hours ago, jenorton said:

Hi:

Some sites may use the old link from hrmlesslion.com, thus, they'll never get the latest.  I made that mistake, just bookmarking the link.  However, when you switched to using Github to distribute, I observed that.  So, every-so-often, I check harmlesslion.com to make sure I have the correct link.  That's always the safest.

I have always said that the only link to link to is "http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99" (and I've added https). That link has worked for more than 20 years, and every time I update the server, I make sure that link still works.

I explicitly told everyone not to link to the numbered version of the URLs, as the numbers were likely to change. They were indexes into a MySQL database that were unfortunately revealed in the address bar for a while. The old URL should take you to a 404 and then back to the index page, at least ;)

The numbers are gone now, since the pages are no longer dynamic, but are instead regenerated daily based on the pushes to Github. Harmlesslion, not Github, is still the site you should be linking to. You will miss information if you don't.

I can't help if people ignore me. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reciprocating Bill said:

I've been testing Classic99 on my M2 Mac using Crossover/Wine. Via my wifi network I'm attempting to point the Classic99 DSK4 at my TIPI volume (and to my ASSEM directory on TIPI). TIPI mounts on my Mac desktop and I can move files to and from PI and Mac. In Classic99 I've pointed DSK4 to the directory /volumes/TIPI\ASSEM\. If I choose DISK/DSK4/Open DSK4 the ASSEM directory on the PI is displayed by Classic99. However: using E/A, any attempt to open a file (either to edit a source or load and run an object) on that volume results in "I/0 ERROR CODE 7." If I drag those same files onto the local DSK2 folder in the Classic99 folder they work fine (a tolerable workaround).

So, am I missing something vis the directory I've entered?  

I also have an HP laptop that successfully points to TIPI vis the path \\tipi\TIPI\ASSEM\, but using the same path results in the amazingly uninformative WINE error, "General Failure" on the Mac. 

I can't tell you enough about the Mac filesystem or Wine, but you want to make sure you're using the syntax that the system expects. Since Wine is a Windows emulation layer, I would expect that you should be using Windows paths, which "/volumes/TIPI\ASSEM\" is not.

You can check the Classic99 debug log after a failed access to see if it offers any more information about why, since the TI Error code number is less information than Classic99 actually has. It should tell you the actual path it tried to access and what the filesystem returned for the effort.

It's promising that the "Open DSK4" option works, but I suspect you'll find that Classic99 trying to construct the final filename from the path you provided ends up being the issue. Once you see the filename it is trying to open, it'll probably be obvious how to fix it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tursi said:

Since Wine is a Windows emulation layer,

I can't miss this rare opportunity to be pedantic!

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

😉

Edited by retrodroid