IGNORED

Old vs New: mac/aln vs smac/vlink

Tyrant

Smac contains macros to assist with RISC code running from main.

I can assemble and link the Owl Project with either.

Apparently there are still a few bugs with SMAC and SLN but SUBQMOD is addressing these so if yuou try it, and please do, then please also let him know if you have any issues and he will address them.

Other than that SMAC and SLN are more compatible with more OSs

Edited by Atari_Owl

Hmm... surely the required macros could be used for madmac too? I've not tried, but the rules concerning the alignment don't seem particularly tricky to follow.

That's not going to be an issue for me until/unless someone writes an improved wdb.

Hmm... surely the required macros could be used for madmac too? I've not tried, but the rules concerning the alignment don't seem particularly tricky to follow.

They're not tricky to follow - just tiresome to keep track of

What I meant is, surely you don't need a whole new assembler to process the macros for keeping track of the alignments, you should be able to use the macro support in madmac to do the same thing, right?

What I meant is, surely you don't need a whole new assembler to process the macros for keeping track of the alignments, you should be able to use the macro support in madmac to do the same thing, right?

I think the bigger purpose of the new tools was modern OS compatibility from what I can see.

I think the bigger purpose of the new tools was modern OS compatibility from what I can see.

I already mentioned that

[quote name='Atari_Owl' date='Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:21 PM' timestamp='1279380092' post='2052719'

Just mentioned that there were other positives too - wish i hadn't bothered

I already mentioned that

Just mentioned that there were other positives too - wish i hadn't

Edited by Atari_Owl

From what I gather Mac/ALN work on Vista and W7, so thats not really an issue any more.

I always use Mac - nothing more frustrating that traking down a bug only to discover that SMAC assembled something incorrectly. We do however assemble with SMAC occasionally and compare binaries which has helped identify a few bugs in SMAC which SubQMod has immediatly fixed.

As I've said before, if you can't manage to set up DOSbox then you really shouldn't be trying to code on anything. It's not that difficult to get running :)

• Like 6

No. With madmac you have to do it manually I believe. With Smac the macros are built in to automate the process. That ws part of the reason smac was created, beyond the ability to be used on new systems.

No. With madmac you have to do it manually I believe. With Smac the macros are built in to automate the process. That ws part of the reason smac was created, beyond the ability to be used on new systems.

Do what manually?

Do you mean manually include the macros; or that for some reason madmac's macro capabilities aren't advanced enough to cope with the alignment issues?

Do what manually?

Do you mean manually include the macros; or that for some reason madmac's macro capabilities aren't advanced enough to cope with the alignment issues?

I dont program in assembly so I am not exactly sure. Smac is designed around automating the process through macros. You can read the smac manual and see how it says to implement them or of course you can use madmac and do it the old fashioned way the way Gorf says he does and see what the differences are and which way you like doing it better.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I gather Mac/ALN work on Vista and W7, so thats not really an issue any more.

I always use Mac - nothing more frustrating that traking down a bug only to discover that SMAC assembled something incorrectly. We do however assemble with SMAC occasionally and compare binaries which has helped identify a few bugs in SMAC which SubQMod has immediatly fixed.

Looks like the bugs in Smac are closer and closer to being completely squished. :)

• 2 weeks later...