IGNORED

The Official 2600 Easter Egg and Programming Mysteries Thread

Tempest

20 minutes ago, BillDMatt said:

in Berzerk  when you shoot a Robot, evil Otto flashes for a fraction of a second.  I never noticed this until this past weekend when my 10 year old son saw.   

I would assume that's done on purpose and not some sort of glitch.  I know the code has been analyzed before so maybe someone can confirm?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I would assume that's done on purpose and not some sort of glitch.  I know the code has been analyzed before so maybe someone can confirm?

I hope it's done on purpose, and not a glitch, it makes for a cool effect and gives off that  Otto is everywhere, ominous vibe... LOL 

25 minutes ago, BillDMatt said:

I hope it's done on purpose, and not a glitch, it makes for a cool effect and gives off that  Otto is everywhere, ominous vibe... LOL 

When I was a kid I assumed it was because Otto was controlling the robots and when you shot them his 'link' was severed.

• Like 4

On 7/24/2010 at 4:48 PM, gamme said:

Picnic: Set both difficulty switches to B and set TV Type to b&w. Power the game up and play variation #1. When the game ends, push LEFT on the Right joystick. The player 1s score will change to DAVID J. and player 2s score will change to DONNA F. It's unknown whose names they are.

David Johnson and Donna Fisher, the game's two programmers.

On 4/6/2015 at 1:17 AM, shadow460 said:

River Raid II won't run on a six switch console.

Not entirely true as we discussed here, but I don't think the root cause of this was ever determined.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:09 PM, rorysl said:

I've been buying and testing Missile Command carts forever and have NEVER found the no-easter egg version. So I'm definitely curious too!

Probably pretty rare, like the original copies of Activision's Bridge with the bid 8 bug.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BillDMatt said:

I also love if you line up just right their laser bullets will pass through where your neck should be.  

That I believe was also in the arcade version.  That's just the 2600 being accurate to the arcade port (for once).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 6:48 PM, BillDMatt said:

I also love if you line up just right their laser bullets will pass through where your neck should be.  

I used to try to do that and never actually managed, so it’s good to know it worked! Thank you :)

• Like 1