IGNORED

Season 4 Round 4 *Space Invaders Collection*

Well I have the cart so hopefully you do as well but I assume the emulator would be the same. If you don't do anything when you turn on the game 3 choices will show up on the bottom. Use joystick to move down to 3rd choice which is called options. Hit fire button. You will see you are in japan mode move joystick to right to go to USA mode and then hit fire button. It should default back up to first choice again and then hit fire button again.

Thank You, I might have been playing the japan mode, I never changed that.

Are there any other differences besides the colors (scoring, speed) between Japan and USA mode?

If not, i tend to accept both settings for the High Score list. What do you think?

Are there any other differences besides the colors (scoring, speed) between Japan and USA mode?

If not, i tend to accept both settings for the High Score list. What do you think?

I went into the options and changed to US. Ms. Do and I where playing the Japan mode for our score submissions. If you decide to only accept the US mod, you can disqualify our scores.

Hope to hear your decision today.

I don't know this is my first year playing in this thing but I assume you have to have what they put in the beginning.

As far as I can tell japan mode seems to make the guys bigger and starts them out lower. The first few rounds could be harder than the usa mode. I say play the usa mode and you might find your scores higher.

Dan

Well looks like I had a lucky round. It is like you are shooting them with a pistol and they are shooting with machine guns. I don't know what kind of patter gets you 20,000 but I have tried many different ways and none of them seem to be a superior pattern of killing these things without random machine gun shootings killing you.

Well looks like I had a lucky round. It is like you are shooting them with a pistol and they are shooting with machine guns. I don't know what kind of patter gets you 20,000

You need to count your shots to always get 300 point UFO's. And then milk them :P

Also it's a little too much to go into detail but there's a tricks in the later levels so you don't get shot, and that includes making the invaders get to the very bottom level where their shots pass right through you.

Ah, that sounds more like a bug that we are not supposed to take advantage of if the bullets are passing right through you.

It's standard Space Invaders strategy and has been since the 70's since I've been playing it. See "Wall of Death" at the bottom here :) http://www.djgallagher.com/games/classics/spaceinvaders/playguide.php

There is a tactic in space invaders called the 'wall of death' (also called the 'death row'). At a very specific time in the game, the player's laser base seems to become impervious to the invaders' missiles! When a line of invaders is on the second to last row (the one before they "invade") their missiles cannot harm the player's base. Originally it was assumed to be a bug in the program, but I am fairly sure it was a deliberate feature (maybe the first video game "easter eggs"). Either way, it is a vital feature of the game that can be exploited to reach level 10 and beyond. Shoot the invaders to leave a formation similar to the one in the screen shots below. This is the classic 5 + 1 formation (you can use this technique on almost every board). The trick is to travel with the invades when the last row is hurtling across the screen, shooting them in turn from right to left and hitting the last one just before it overtakes you. Of course, if you miss him you lose a life (but that is the risk you take).
Edited by NE146

thats a very interesting article thanks. I think I am coming close to the beginning of what the article talked about because I usually get to the 4th screen with losing 1 or 2 lives. I have never tried to finish off the rows from left to right though because I usually started getting the bottom ships as I go accross the screen and then get rid of the right side for a few columns and then move back to the left side and get rid of a few of the columns. I will try some of this stuff out.

Ya know what knowing that stuff does help get you a better score but it is still a hard game. You end up trying for 300 saucers so much that you die a little more and I couldn't even get past the 4th board to try the other method.

Of course I guess I have only tried it for about an hour. Gotta get back to working though.

Thanks NE146

Dan

post-26001-128155432317_thumb.jpg

I don't know this is my first year playing in this thing but I assume you have to have what they put in the beginning.

As far as I can tell japan mode seems to make the guys bigger and starts them out lower. The first few rounds could be harder than the usa mode. I say play the usa mode and you might find your scores higher.

Dan

Okay, in that case i have to disqualify the scores from Yurkie, Ms. Do and atariron82...

But there is some time left for a good score!

Sorry, my mistake - it is more a disadvantage if you play the slightly harder japan mode. I accept your scores! I will change

the "Setting Info" soon. I am so sorry for the confusion...

Edited by Mister VCS