IGNORED

Are the Gears of War games bad in single-player?....

ataridave

Finally got a 360 Arcade late last month!! I'd really love to play through the Gears of War games, but single-player, not in co-op or online. I've been told that your AI partner is basically a moron and get's killed a lot. Is this true?? Should I buy either one of the games, since I'll be playing them single-player??

gamestop currently has the first game for $5 used. i've only ever played them solo but they're solid games, just don't go in expecting genius storytelling. as for length and stuff each should last you 7-8 hours on easy/normal. your partner does boneheaded things sometimes but thats just the curse of a.i. squadmates. it's not a constant babysitting job or anything.

Edited by xg4bx

I've only played them both single player and find them to be awesome games.

Yes I mean awesome. I found the first one harder than the second but I've never played a game with better and more fair save points before.

Great games...

Edited by rxd

I've only played them both single player and find them to be awesome games.

Yes I mean awesome. I found the first one harder than the second but I've never played a game with better and more fair save points before.

Great games...

OK, thanks for that feedback! The horde mode in 2 looks really sweet!!

I haven't played the second game, but the single-player campaign in the first one is what got me hooked on the game. The action is nearly non-stop, the gameplay is solid, and the story is short, sweet, to the point, and implemented well. Highly recommended, especially if it's only $5 these days.. One of the best modern gaming deals, ever.

I had bad experiences with the first game, to the point that I didn't bother with the second game.

To answer your question, yes, your ai partner is an idiot. Even on the lowest setting you'll quickly find yourself reviving him every other second. (I would have hated to even try this game on a harder setting)

The real deal breaker to me though was the control setup. You have a sprint button, and it just happens to be the same button as cover. So you will constantly be getting killed because you try to run from one area to another and end up stuck on a damn wall.

Personally the game had promise, but if your getting it for single player, forget it, it's just not worth it.