IGNORED

Jaguar HSC Revamped: Round 1 - Zoop!

Austin

**This competition has officially ended. Any scores submitted by new players now will net one ranking/participation point***

Official end-rankings for ZOOP!

Austin - 265,200 +11pts

Hyper_Eye - 78,800 +10pts

Boog - 61,600 +9pts

orpheuswaking - 60,900 +8pts

The_Laird - 42,800 +7pts

Atari Jaguar High Score Club Revamped ROUND 1: ZOOP!

All right guys, it's that time! For the first round of the new Jaguar HSC, we have.. ZOOP! The competition officially starts on Sunday, August 1st, 2010, and the final time to get your scores in will be two weeks from then, on Sunday, August 15th, 2010.

This is an often overlooked puzzle game that should be a lot of fun to high-score. Never played it before? The goal is simple: Just match your cursor with any other like-colors on screen to clear out pieces on the playfield! If you hit an opposite colored piece, that object will change to the color you were, and you will change to the color it was. Sounds easy enough, right? How well do you think you can handle it at the higher levels?.. :evil:

HOW TO PLAY:

Select "Continual Play", Stage 1, Difficulty "0", and go as long as you can! Submit your high score here when finished. Feel free to submit your score as many times as you want until the deadline hits.

If you are not familiar with the new Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166522-new-jaguar-hsc-rules-updated-7242010/

It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. Just please make sure you are playing the Jaguar version. :)

Some tips to keep in mind before you get started!

- The more colors you clear at once, the more points you get!

- If you clear an entire row of one color, you get what is called a "Zoop!". These are worth the most points (Very much like a "Tetris" in, well.. Tetris!).

- It's best to try and manage your special items! If you see one on the field, you will find it better to leave it alone until you absolutely need it! This will help you survive a little bit farther into Stages eight and on.

- Collecting five springs (they appear randomly) will clear out the entire field. For the best results, the last spring collected should be avoided until you are in dire need for a complete clearing of the playfield! You will also get points for each piece blown away after collecting five springs.

- The Jaguar version of Zoop! actually saves your high scores! This is one of the few (if not the only version) that does that. If you need to take a break and come back to reference a past score, this cart will track it for you. :thumbsup:

For anyone that does not own this game but would like to get involved with this, it should be emulated fairly easily. You can also track down brand new, sealed copies on eBay very cheap (As of writing up this post, there are multiple sealed copies on eBay for about $13 after shipping!).

Anyways, let's get this one rolling! Have fun!

:) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Well I won't be able to participate in this HSC as I do not have zoop, but I'll keep my eyes open for the next one!

I think this is one of the few games that actually works normally in a Jaguar emulator, so you should be good to go if you want to submit a score that way.

I played it earlier and my score is not even worth posting. I suck at it.

Just practice it a little bit, play a few games here and there. It should become natural pretty quickly. Regardless, at least post something to get yourself on the rankings list. :lol:

My score is 62,000. All the rest of the scores in the screenshot are from a friend that borrowed my cart about 12 years ago. It took me a bit just to get on to the scoreboard.

Cool, thanks for the submission! The rankings list has been updated accordingly. :thumbsup:

Just a FYI everyone, you have one more week to submit a score (or play again and submit another)!

Also, I will be creating a poll within the next couple of hours for the next game to be played, so be sure to watch out for that.

Scores updated, Boog, Laird. Thanks for submitting. :) :thumbsup:

If anyone here is having a difficult time scoring better, just make sure you are focusing on getting "zoops" on the first few levels while the game is still slow. They give you the most points and will skyrocket your score, so just sit around and let the pieces come out to the edge of the screen. It's much more difficult to do this once you are a few levels in, because the pieces come out quicker and are much more random. Nailing one or two pieces over and over again won't do much for you early in the game, but it's the only way to play when you get to the higher stages.

Clearing a single piece off the playfield nets you 100 points. To put zoops into perspective, they are scored as follows: 1st piece in line = 100pts, 2nd = 200 pts, 3rd = 300 pts, etc. Zoops going vertically can net you a total of 6,500 points. That's 6,000 points more than if you nailed five pieces seperately. Zoops going horizontally can net you a total of 12,100 points! Needless to say, that's over 11,000 more points than you would have gotten if you zapped a bunch of pieces individually. Basically, take advantage of it while it's early in the game. :) :thumbsup:

Hope that helps!

Edited by Austin

Good job, man! Making progress.. Let's see where you are by the end of Sunday! :) :thumbsup:

Ooooo bumped to fourth... I need to get playing again... Well done!

No, you haven't moved. His new score overrides his old one, so the places haven't changed (yet). :)

Just played a couple more rounds and raised my high score to 61,600. :)

As an aside, I took a pic of the Saturn import version vs Jaguar version. It's interesting because they've reformed/re-arranged the symbols they used to mimic 'Zoop' in English and made them resemble the Japanese katakana for Zu-pu. Japanese language has 3 alphabets... Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana. Katakana is used to spell names and foreign words phonetically. Lots of import videogame text is written in katakana, so if you print a katakana chart or memorize the katakana alphabet, you can actually read most basic Japanese game text. Words like Golf are just spelled out phonetically as go/ru/fu. Menus say su/ta/to ga/mu or similar. There's no translation for katakana text beyond figuring out Engrish. (there's no 'L' in katakana)

post-9276-128171689258_thumb.jpg

post-9276-128171690406_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just played a couple more rounds and raised my high score to 61,600. :)As an aside, I took a pic of the Saturn import version vs Jaguar version. It's interesting because they've reformed/re-arranged the symbols they used to mimic 'Zoop' in English and made them resemble the Japanese katakana for Zu-pu. Japanese language has 3 alphabets... Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana. Katakana is used to spell names and foreign words phonetically. Lots of import videogame text is written in katakana, so if you print a katakana chart or memorize the katakana alphabet, you can actually read most basic Japanese game text. Words like Golf are just spelled out phonetically as go/ru/fu. Menus say su/ta/to ga/mu or similar. There's no translation for katakana text beyond figuring out Engrish. (there's no 'L' in katakana)

Cool info! I didn't happen to sell you that Japanese version, eh? I thought I sold it here on AA, but my mind has gone for blank right now.. :ponder:

Ooooo bumped to fourth... I need to get playing again... Well done!

OK, you've officially been bumped to 4th now.. :D

Cool info! I didn't happen to sell you that Japanese version, eh? I thought I sold it here on AA, but my mind has gone for blank right now.. :ponder:

I somehow ended up with two copies of Zoop (J) for Saturn and it's not something I would ever buy on purpose. So, if it was included in a bulk Saturn import lot that I bought from you that might be one of my two...

Edited by boog
  • Like 1