IGNORED

Halloween demo cart stolen from AA at CGE 2010!

GroovyBee

I just hope its not one of thsoe situations where someone stole it to dump and try to sell as their own game. But I had so been hoping it somehow would turn up in cleanup or packing or something. :sad:

Its not even a full game which is the real mystery to me. The full game will just blow the demo out of the water.

ps - if any reports need to be filed from eitehr you groovybee with teh hotel because I don't know what you and al have decided, the security has been wonderful and i can do the groundwork.

If the thief wants to do the right thing and it mysteriously turns up then that's good. If not, since technically its Al's materials that went into the cart and I'm on the other side of the pond I'll have to defer to his decision.

Please let me know if I can assist in any way.

Thanks for the offer. Putting the word out is all we can do at the moment.

Oh no!!! That sucks! :-( Well, at least they didn't make off with something like the Expansion Module that was sitting around. Any idea when the cart disappeared?

The only 7800 games I remember seeing were Robotron, Failsafe, and that one plugged into the Expansion Module, along with the 5200 Tempest and the 2600 Halo (and that weird one on the left next to the Expansion Module prototype).

edit: Okay, I might have caught a brief glimpse of the Halloween game. I do remember somebody mentioning it being like Zelda. :-) But honestly, I didn't spend too much time at the Atariage booth myself. I played Skull Island, some Failsafe, and asked about the Harmony cart. That was about it.

Edited by doppel

It's really sad. I hope it was some random loser and not someone in the scene. Unfortunately, I've had things stolen both times I had stuff setup at a JagFest. In my case, I choose to believe it was a walk-in and not someone "in the scene."

It's so hard to keep an eye on everything at all times. There's so much going on and so many people you want to talk to. You really want to believe you can let down your guard for a bit and just hang with some of the folks.

It would be nice to catch the guy if he tries to sell it on ebay and deliver a beating rather than payment. ;) You could count me in on that action.

It's really sad. I hope it was some random loser and not someone in the scene. Unfortunately, I've had things stolen both times I had stuff setup at a JagFest. In my case, I choose to believe it was a walk-in and not someone "in the scene."

But the jag scene in general is pretty small. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you :(.

edit: Okay, I might have caught a brief glimpse of the Halloween game. I do remember somebody mentioning it being like Zelda. :-) But honestly, I didn't spend too much time at the Atariage booth myself. I played Skull Island, some Failsafe, and asked about the Harmony cart. That was about it.

Certainly not long enough to take pictures or videos ...

It seems no one did ...

:sad:

Certainly not long enough to take pictures or videos ...

It seems no one did ...

:sad:

I didn't have anything with me to take pictures with, sorry.

Well one thing's for sure: if the person who stole this tries to play it on a 7800 and start scratching their heads trying to figure out why it doesn't work, I'm gonna laugh. They must have known it wouldn't work the same way on a regular 7800.

:-P

Edited by doppel

Well one thing's for sure: if the person who stole this tries to play it on a 7800 and start scratching their heads trying to figure out why it doesn't work, I'm gonna laugh. They must have known it wouldn't work the same way on a regular 7800.

:? It works fine on a regular 7800. Its just a demo version of the game.

:? It works fine on a regular 7800. Its just a demo version of the game.

What? Oh, my mistake. I thought since it looked so close to the one game with the apples in it (the one plugged into the Expansion Module) that it also ran on the Expansion Module (I only went by the Halloween thread for screenshots a little while ago). Like I said, I only vaguely remember seeing a brief glimpse of Halloween at the booth, so I don't remember too much.

Still, it sucks that some people would sink this low. I've had thieves steal things from me on three occasions, so I've grown to hate thieves something fierce. Whoever did this is fortunate I wasn't nearby to witness it.

Is it difficult to make two or three demo carts? If not, you can be prepared next time in case of thievery, accidental vomiting, malicious wiggling, or frantic frying.

Its not difficult to make the carts. Its just you don't really expect them to get stolen. Its not like AA is big corporation or that Al can go around to the back of the booth and get another "sample" from a big box.

I was first to report it to Albert I was so excited to play the game and it was gone I told albert to check the cameras

I was first to report it to Albert I was so excited to play the game and it was gone I told Albert to check the cameras.

Don't get too excited about it. The one who reports a crime is usually the main suspect. :D

Not funny man, not funny at all, I actually had a good time with most of everyone there and trust me had I saw who did it, I would have ratted them out.

I had two books stolen from me too while I was there and almost lost my camera but someone was nice enough to report it.

I dunno, it didnt seem so bad while I was there.

Just glad I got in a few quick rounds of hellos and hung out for a few here and there. Nap time is nap time and if I could have run i woudl have sprinted to get the magnets i forgot to buy. Next show I hope to be in far better health, just hope my body cooperates better then it is with the whole wanting to live gig. Evcen if I don't always agree with people's posts I'm not that horrid in person, lmao and I didn't even beat anyone with my banhammer err cane in person. :P

Those fridge magnets are so damn cool. :lust: :love: :lust:

I dunno, it didnt seem so bad while I was there.

Just glad I got in a few quick rounds of hellos and hung out for a few here and there. Nap time is nap time and if I could have run i woudl have sprinted to get the magnets i forgot to buy. Next show I hope to be in far better health, just hope my body cooperates better then it is with the whole wanting to live gig. Evcen if I don't always agree with people's posts I'm not that horrid in person, lmao and I didn't even beat anyone with my banhammer err cane in person. :P

Those fridge magnets are so damn cool. :lust: :love: :lust:

I'm glad that you were able to go after all. No one should have something like that taken from them. Believe me, I know you're not that horrid in person. You're just too damn cute to be horrid.. :lust: :love:

Anyways, sucks about the cart. What was this exactly? Was this a remake of the 2600 game, did it have anything to do with the movie or what?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Is it difficult to make two or three demo carts? If not, you can be prepared next time in case of thievery, accidental vomiting, malicious wiggling, or frantic frying.

I will sometimes make multiple demo carts as a backup, especially for critical demos, but in the case of this particular show I had a LOT of demo carts to produce so doubling the number of carts would have been a bit of work. Also, some of the carts I had to make Friday night before the show, so making two of those was not very realistic given the fact that I had already spent 14 hours setting up the booth (from 8:00am to 10:00pm) and didn't even get to bed until nearly 3am.

It's very unfortunate that someone swiped the Halloween cart. It was taken later in the afternoon on Saturday, so many people did get to play it. This is the first time in all the shows I've attended in the last eight years that I've ever had someone steal a cart from a demo display. I suppose in the future I will need to make additional carts to help safeguard this from happening again. Or drill a hole in the cart and affix it to the table with a steel cable, although I'd really prefer to not have to do that!

I seriously doubt it'll show up on eBay, you'd have to be pretty stupid to try and pull that off.

..Al

Anyways, sucks about the cart. What was this exactly? Was this a remake of the 2600 game, did it have anything to do with the movie or what?

Nothing to do with the film at all or a remake of the 2600 title. Its development thread is here :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/152901-7800-happy-halloween

And the CGE demo page is here :-

http://www.atariage.com/features/shows/cge2010_preview/demos.html#halloween

I had two books stolen from me too while I was there and almost lost my camera but someone was nice enough to report it.

That sucks :(. Why was CGE such an attractive target for thieves?

i don't know BTW when is ur official release of the game

Hmmmm. I am thinking internal battery, and a loud obnoxious beeper that goes off if it looses 5v of the cartridge port for more than a few minutes :evil: Of course you would need a secret way to activate/deactivate it. Of course it shouldn't be something that is necessary :(

Edited by kenfused

This might be the first demotype, due to it's absconded nature, that I consider to have negative value both as a collectable and for those who might find notoriety in having acquired it.

This behavior can not be shunned enough.

Knowing that the person responsible might be reading looking for their bit of fame, I suggest we start planting some negative unsubstantiated rumors about this individual, including speculations on their bizarre child-hood, sexual peccadilloes and the crawl-space in their elderly mothers basement. ;)

• Like 3

Hmmmm. I am thinking internal battery, and a loud obnoxious beeper that goes off if it looses 5v of the cartridge port for more than a few minutes :evil: Of course you would need a secret way to activate/deactivate it. Of course it shouldn't be something that is necessary :(

This is actually a pretty interesting idea. However, for it to work effectively the alarm would need to go off immediately. Otherwise the person could be long gone by the time the alarm is triggered. You don't want the alarm to go off when the system power is turned off, though, since that happens quite often during a show--people will often toggle the power in order to "reset" a game. A delay of five seconds or so could work.

Ideally such a cartridge would detect that it has been removed from the system, as opposed to being triggered by the 5v line of the cartridge port. A physical mechanism could work. for instance, the dust cover mechanism on a 2600 or 5200 cart could provide a "trigger", but this won't help for a 7800 game since those carts do not have a dust cover.

..Al