IGNORED

Halo 2600 Pre-Order

Albert

Al, have you considered completely cutting off the production of these carts after a certain number is reached (whatever that number might be) so that the cart remains relatively rare? I don't mean right now, of course, but eventually?

what a greedy thing to say. are you more worried about the resale value or playing the game on your VCS?

jeez!

I never get involved with discussions like this really but I have to agree with bombers sentiment. i can't stand when people feel like they're "entitled" to a rare item and screw everybody else. why should i be punished because i can't afford it right now, just so someone can have a rare item to collect dust in their basement. sorry to be rude but i can't stand the collector mentality.

whether Al produces 5, 500 or 5000 copies, it's always going to be rare when you consider that there are 10s of millions of halo fans out there. Albert and AA deserve every penny they make off of this considering how much blood, sweat and tears they've put into this hobby. this is the biggest thing that's happened with atari in decades and i don't begrudge anyone from getting a copy, just because other people want an arbitrary, manufactured collectible.

• Like 3

Al, have you considered completely cutting off the production of these carts after a certain number is reached (whatever that number might be) so that the cart remains relatively rare? I don't mean right now, of course, but eventually?

what a greedy thing to say. are you more worried about the resale value or playing the game on your VCS?

jeez!

I never get involved with discussions like this really but I have to agree with bombers sentiment. i can't stand when people feel like they're "entitled" to a rare item and screw everybody else. why should i be punished because i can't afford it right now, just so someone can have a rare item to collect dust in their basement. sorry to be rude but i can't stand the collector mentality.

whether Al produces 5, 500 or 5000 copies, it's always going to be rare when you consider that there are 10s of millions of halo fans out there. Albert and AA deserve every penny they make off of this considering how much blood, sweat and tears they've put into this hobby. this is the biggest thing that's happened with atari in decades and i don't begrudge anyone from getting a copy, just because other people want an arbitrary, manufactured collectible.

Don't worry, it will become rare as soon as the C&D from Microsoft gets delivered.

Don't worry, it will become rare as soon as the C&D from Microsoft gets delivered.

*sigh* It's funny that no one seems to know who Ed is or that he had permission. It almost needs a parental warning label "Warning: This cart is officially allowed."

AX

Also I should mention (although you guys already figured this out) that I have been keeping people at Bungie and Microsoft in the loop as I developed this game and was never told I should stop doing it. There's always a chance they could say that, but so far they have been very supportive of this crazy project.

It just takes one dickhead lawyer to stop everybody's fun.

*sigh* It's funny that no one seems to know who Ed is or that he had permission. It almost needs a parental warning label "Warning: This cart is officially allowed."

AX

Also I should mention (although you guys already figured this out) that I have been keeping people at Bungie and Microsoft in the loop as I developed this game and was never told I should stop doing it. There's always a chance they could say that, but so far they have been very supportive of this crazy project.

It just takes one dickhead lawyer to stop everybody's fun.

"It's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny"

I've read all about this project, but no one saying no is not equivalent to someone saying yes.

BTW, Microsoft owns Halo, not Bungie.

• Like 1

I never get involved with discussions like this really but I have to agree with bombers sentiment. i can't stand when people feel like they're "entitled" to a rare item and screw everybody else.

Is that a joke? Of course you get involved in discussions like this. And just in case you forgot let me refresh your memory. This isn't the first time you've shared your anti-collector sentimiments and you're just continuing to spew those opinionated views now. How in the world does asking Al if he's going to make a limited quantity of these games constitute me being 'entitled'? I'm not entitled to s***. I wanted to know the approximate rarity so that I knew where this particular cart would live in my collection. Of course this collector concept is foreign to you, and as you so eliquently put it:

"but it kinda amounts to a waste when you drop dead and everything you searched and scoured hours, days and weeks for ends up in a dumpster. pop that shrinkwrap and enjoy it now since it'll all amount to full garbage bags that your kids will be hauling to the dump. sorry to be such a downer on this lovely saturday, im just a realist."

Thanks for those words of wisdom. Just because you may or may not have family that enjoys and supports your hobby doesn't mean others don't. But like they say, "One man's garbage...."

I've re-read my first post a few times and can understand why some feel the way they do about it. I've tried several times now to explain that my intention was not to pursuade Al one way or the other, I was just asking the question in order to discern the potential rarity of the item I had already purchased.

... why should i be punished because i can't afford it right now, just so someone can have a rare item to collect dust in their basement.

Check yourself. Since you don't have the money now, you expect that it should be available when/if you do. Who did you say was entitled? No one is punishing you dude. You now know that the cart will be mass produced, possibly in perpetuity. If I had not asked the question, how would you know that for certain? I wasn't the only one curious about the production life of this cart.

sorry to be rude but i can't stand the collector mentality.

Well, in your own words from a different thread, "we're all collector's of sorts." Just because some of us collect differently from you, doesn't make your way right and other's wrong. Why should you have the right to tell people how pointless it is to collect they way they do, as clearly stated in this thead and others? You might want to re-examine your own mentality. I'm not saying change your opinion, I'm saying there is not right and wrong.

whether Al produces 5, 500 or 5000 copies, it's always going to be rare when you consider that there are 10s of millions of halo fans out there.

Interesting logic. So, I should assume that my Pac-Man is going to be rare because of the millions of Pac-Man fans. No, see there is a rarity guide that is for the most part based on the number of available copies. That's how rarity is defined, not by the amount of fans.

Albert and AA deserve every penny they make off of this considering how much blood, sweat and tears they've put into this hobby.

Is Al training to fight Ivan Drago? Can we be more dramatic? We all know the time and effort Al has devoted to this website and the community, and he can sell as many carts as he wants. Why can't I ask him if he's making limited quantities? Here is an example, currently there is a homebrew being produced that will sell 120 total copies (Skull Island). 20 with a wooden case, and 100 standard plastic cases. Each cart is being hand numbered. It isn't all that uncommon (as stated before) to produce a limited amount of items when we're talking about collectibles.

this is the biggest thing that's happened with atari in decades and i don't begrudge anyone from getting a copy, just because other people want an arbitrary, manufactured collectible.

Yes, it is one of the biggest things that's happened to Atari in decades, let's move on then. There is no begrudging anyone here. May everyone enjoy their copy of Halo and live happily ever after.

• Like 2

Well since they listed it's release on their blog... I doubt they are coming after Ed.

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx

AX

LoL, that's completely awesome. I'm sure Bungie is flattered. After all this almost like viral promotion for their franchise. It shows the deep cultural impact the series has had on the gaming community. So cool....

At this time I am no longer taking payments for Halo 2600. However, send an email to sales@atariage.com and I will add you to the waiting list and will email you as carts become available, in the order I receive requests.

Some additional information:

If you'd like a copy of Halo 2600 in cartridge form, I am going to make some number available to forum members who weren't able to attend CGE. Cartridges are $20 plus shipping:

US: $5 Priority Mail

Canada: $5 First Class, $12 Priority Mail

Elsewhere: $8 First Class, $14 Priority Mail

I'll be including some AtariAge swag (magnets, buttons) with these carts. :)

This new batch of cartridges will have a different label in order to differentiate them from the carts sold at CGE. My plan is to ship any carts that are paid for by the end of the weekend sometime next week. You will receive tracking information (for Priority Mail) once your package has shipped.

A PAL version is presently being worked on. Once it's completed, I'll update this thread. If you're in Europe or Australia (or other PAL regions) and want a PAL version, please hold off on sending a payment until it's ready.

..Al

excuse me sry to bother you but how do you pre order halo 2600.i have paypal.