IGNORED

Mr. Do! ....!

I love Mr. Do! So I decided to play around a bit and made a couple Mockups of a more arcade accurate Colecovision version.

A few notes: In the coleco version, Mr. Do!'s ball is a seperate sprite, so often, we have a white clown carrying around a light yellow dot. Why not use that sprite to give Mr. Do an extra color, and render the ball as part of Mr. Do when he's carrying it?

Also, the Coleco version uses the basic 2 colors per 8x8 tile graphics mode, and so for ease, they made the EXTRA space a bit bigger so they could easily change the color of the letters. In my mockups, I still use the same graphics mode, but now the Alpha monster is part of the background, and the dim letters are covered by sprites, allowing the extra box to be the same size as the arcade, and giving more space for the playfield.

Attached are the Coleco and MSX versions, followed by my mockups.

The enemies in my mockups could probably look a bit better, I just took the arcade sprites and made them a single color (just like the MSX version).

-enjoy.

post-218-128106656706_thumb.png

post-218-128106658857_thumb.png

post-218-128106659634_thumb.png

post-218-128106660921_thumb.png

post-218-128106661972_thumb.png

As I can see from your actual mockups, Mr.Do! will sometimes need 3 sprites just for himself, making the 4 sprites in a row limit a problem occuring very often during the game with the need of flickering sprites considering that all the ennemies, the ball and the apples are all sprites too.

The reason why Mr.Do! is in a single color is to reduce the need of sprites flickering. I'll have personnaly also make the apples as character graphics (or tiles if you prefer this term) in order to reduce even more the flickering but that's another subject.

What you're suggesting is possible if you accept that the ennemies and even apples may looks like ghosty images of themself from time to time.

Edited by newcoleco

Actually, the way I set it up is that Mr. Do is only 2 sprites Red + White. The ball sprite would only be used when it's being thrown, otherwise it's drawn as part of Mr. Do.

are you sure that the way you drew Mr.Do! character here goesn't use more than the 16x16 pixels per sprite?

Playing with cutscenes a little. This screen uses bitmap mode plus sprites. Not 100% identical to the arcade screen, but very close.

Very nice!

Daniel with permission from the creator of that screenshot would you be interested in hacking Mr. Do and adding that to the rom?

It would be a lot of fun playing the modified rom on the new SD multi. I should be receiving mine in the mail Monday.

Done! All the Cutscenes as Colecovision screens. I'm not super proud of the title screen, but at least the colors could scroll inside the logo the way I made it.

I love that you did these. Mr. Do has always been a favorite of mine but it just seemed like it fell short on the ColecoVision. Too bad they didn't have Raccoon Lad around when they were making these games. :)

With the improvements being made to other games like Pac-Man and Mario Bros. it would be a great project for someone to take on.

This topic looks good so far, and quite so the MSX screenshot of the game.

Anyone remember the mock-up screenshot of the CV version of this game that is seen in some Sears catalogs?

Mr. Do! was also ported to the Tomy Tutor (this game is the last of nine featured in this video):

I do wish that the CV could've been better. Frankly, this is why I think the original Super Game Module wafer format system should've been released instead of the ADAM computer.

~Ben

Would be nice to merge this one to my Mr Do's Wild Ride

Maybe re-doing Mr Do's Castle too and make a Mr Do's Collection with those 3 titles... would be awesome! :cool:

There was also Super Pierrot (Mr. DO Run Run) on the MSX. Perhaps that could be ported too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqgEA4GZ7Z4

• Like 1

Would be nice to merge this one to my Mr Do's Wild Ride

Maybe re-doing Mr Do's Castle too and make a Mr Do's Collection with those 3 titles... would be awesome! :cool:

There was also Super Pierrot (Mr. DO Run Run) on the MSX. Perhaps that could be ported too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqgEA4GZ7Z4

Never played this one... It is a good one?

Now think about it...

Mr Do's Collection... including:

- Mr Do! (Remake)

- Mr Do's Castle (Remake)

- Mr Do's Wild Ride

- Mr Do Run Run

Well, ... I'm afraid that only Opcode can do something nice as this...

I hope Eduardo will make a comeback someday...

• Like 1