IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

This has been fixed (thanks to raindog2112 for scanning the faded page) and re-uploaded to the original location.

Hmm, getting an error upon opening from Acrobat saying the file is damaged and cannot be repaired.

I'll look at it when I get home.. It took forever to upload last night...

BYTE Vol 07-06 1982-06 Bonus.jpg

Fitting ad, I think Shatner's toupee was the wonder toupee of the 80's.

I wonder if Atari sued Commodore for the blantant lies in there for the 400:

Doesnt work with Disk drive, Printer, and modem

Max 16k memory

0 Programmable function keys (Start/Select/Option)

Microsoft Basic N/A

Actually, the way Commodore phrased it, it's not really a lie since you'd need an extra device to connect all of those peripherals. Same thing with Microsoft BASIC. You'd have to buy it separately. These types of comparative ads were fairly common from the 70's through the late 80's (both videogames and computers) and each ad did some funky stuff (sometimes even combining things like RAM and ROM to make their system appear to have more memory) - short of out and out lies - to make their systems look the best.

Besides Microsoft basic the 400 worked exactly like the Vic-20. You'd need to purchase additional items and connect them basically the same way (SIO disk drive, modem. printer), Function keys already existed.

I think this thread has been mentioned elsewhere recently as there has been a major upswing in the bandwidth being used.. Nothing too bad yet :)

This thread was just mentioned in a story on Hacker News about the relaunching of BYTE.com, see http://news.ycombina...item?id=2033728

It was also mentioned in a thread at Vintage Computer Forums.

This thread was just mentioned in a story on Hacker News about the relaunching of BYTE.com, see http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2033728

Looks like there was a mention in a vintage-computing thread as well: Vintage Computing Thread Link

No bueno! The good times are over! :)

I actually saw the thread over there and came here to see if I can help with the bandwidth. I've got 3 cable modems that have 5Mb of bandwidth each so I've dusted off my old web server and got a mirror online. :) The download speeds seem to fall in between the other two mirrors posted in the thread, so my server should help fill a niche. Thank you to the owners of both the other mirrors!

Here's the links to my mirrors. The index.html is important, and these links may change if the IPs change:

http://24.96.150.90/events/byte/index.html

http://24.96.150.75/events/byte/index.html

http://76.73.219.7/events/byte/index.html

If you want, I can give you ftp access and you can upload the issues as you get them done. Seeing all this computing history online--in the medium it helped create--is just something special to me. :)

• Like 1

Actually, the way Commodore phrased it, it's not really a lie since you'd need an extra device to connect all of those peripherals. Same thing with Microsoft BASIC. You'd have to buy it separately. These types of comparative ads were fairly common from the 70's through the late 80's (both videogames and computers) and each ad did some funky stuff (sometimes even combining things like RAM and ROM to make their system appear to have more memory) - short of out and out lies - to make their systems look the best.

Ha ha!! yeh them were the days! Too much fun! Too much coolness. I loved all the outrageous claims the ads would make, they'd say stuff that even today's computers can't come close to doing.

Today there is no excitement. You just pick your O/S and go.

An article about byte coming back has been linked on slashdot so expect perhaps more increased traffic as there is more interest in the magazine. Nice to have some more mirrors too. I have some additional bandwidth allowance on my mirror now also. Enjoying the magazines - have just been reading the UNIX one. Got plenty more to read over xmas thanks to the speed you seem to scan them at! :)

Wonder if they will cover micros and projects like they used to?

(would be totally cool, if they did)

I fear another PC Magazine, with the BYTE name, but anything could happen!

They already announced what it's going to be--dreadful and me-too: "Focused on consumer tech products in a business environment." Yet another abuse of a classic IP. At least we have years of the old magazine to enjoy.

Typical dumbed-down re-release I see. Back then the magazine was geared toward describing a new landscape in information handling technologies. It was fun to watch the rag evolve along with the hardware and software of the day. There was a sense of discovery and wonder packed into each issue! The articles and how-to's were simply outstanding. You could see the writers had passion.

Today it will be about cheapness and how businesses can make money from you, the consumer. I bet the writers will be those drones from american colleges too. They're gonna shove down your throat every release of every consumer product. I bet their tech articles will be like maximumpc's overclocking tests and relentless fan evaluations. I get really tired of pc cooling how toos, how boring! Elegant computers don't need garish blue-lighted fanz and blingbling crap. Hell they might even get more stoopidder and start reviewing smartphone applications! Useless crap anyhow. I will read ONE issue and probably never bother again!

Meantime, let's keep those old issues coming before the feds shut down re-distribution for copyright reasons, or some other stewpit-ahssed kakkamainey reason fathomable only to them.

Why are they re-issuing 'byte' anyway?? Why sully such a nice publicatory history?? No reference to the awesome Cap'n Sulley!

Edited by Keatah

BYTE Vol 00-12 1976-08 Speech Synthesis - 132 Pages 76,578,145 bytes

Issue #12 of BYTE Magazine... Speech Synthesis in 1976? Who are they kidding! Maybe in 1986 :) The most interesting article in this issue to me is the one on Video Disks.. The very first paragraph is amazing coming from a 1976 magazine:

In one to three years, for less than

$1,000, you should be able to buy a mass

storage system with the following characteristics:

- Directly accessible in 10-50 ms.

- Data transmission rate of 15,000,000 bits per second.

- On line capacity of 4,000,000,000 bytes.

- Storage units costing $2 each.

Wow! The rest of the article is just as interesting... they even call them "digidisks" :) Good guesses on future predictions as well..

Foreground

TRUE CONFESSIONS: HOW I RELATE TO KIM

BUILD A TV READOUT DEVICE FOR YOUR MICROPROCESSOR

INTERFACING THE 60 mA CURRENT LOOP

Background

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A VIDEO DISK?

FRIENDS, HUMANS, COUNTRYROBOTS: LEND ME YOUR EARS

THE TIME HAS COME TO TALK

MICROPROCESSOR UPDATE: ZILOG Z80

MACHINE LANGUAGE PROGRAMMING FOR THE "8008"-Chapter 2

JACK AND THE MACHINE TALK (or, The Making of an Assembler)

Nucleus

In This BYTE

Some Notes on Clubs

Letters

What's New?

Book Review

BYTE's Bugs

Classified Ads

Software Bug of the Month 3

Systems of Note

Functional Specifications

Clubs, Newsletters

Tool Box Answers

BOMB

Reader's Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-12 1977-08 Speech Synthesis

Cover

post-12606-129321879271_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129321880536_thumb.jpg

For those who are curious.. in the last 24 hours there was about 125 Gigs of data transferred from my site.. no clue how much the mirror sites are doing but a record day for me :)

• Like 2

Looks like there was a mention in a vintage-computing thread as well: Vintage Computing Thread Link

Yeah, that was me. Sorry about that... but I did say you were a "nice generous guy", and I stand by my original assessment. :cool:

If I can get you to add "good looking" we will be all set :)

Yeah, that was me. Sorry about that... but I did say you were a "nice generous guy", and I stand by my original assessment. :cool:

If I can get you to add "good looking" we will be all set :)

That might be a bit difficult. You look like a demented pink frilly thing - as if rags from an old style car wash went berserk and started happily eating people.

I don't know about you people in Boise, Idaho, but here in Canada we don't call that sort of thing "good looking". ;) :D

This has been fixed (thanks to raindog2112 for scanning the faded page) and re-uploaded to the original location.

Hmm, getting an error upon opening from Acrobat saying the file is damaged and cannot be repaired.

OK, this is good now.. I downloaded the new copy and page 90 looks good...

BYTE Vol 00-12 1976-08 Speech Synthesis - 132 Pages 76,578,145 bytes

Issue #12 of BYTE Magazine... Speech Synthesis in 1976? Who are they kidding! Maybe in 1986 :) The most interesting article in this issue to me is the one on Video Disks.. The very first paragraph is amazing coming from a 1976 magazine:

In one to three years, for less than

$1,000, you should be able to buy a mass

storage system with the following characteristics:

Wow! The rest of the article is just as interesting... they even call them "digidisks" :) Good guesses on future predictions as well..

Well now, if they are saving these to a keydrive or something, then all the requirements are met!! just a number of years late, that's all..

Sounds like DVD. Of course they were only 20 years off and neglected to consider that with that much storage we would probably have files that took up that much space.

Thumpnugget, a request: since you have been posting older, thinner issues (for bandwidth reasons), do you have January, 1977?

Thanks!

What are you a mind reader?? That was the one I was going to put up next!! OK not really.. Actually I did that issue months ago but it came up 10 pages short and I could never figure out what happened to the 10 missing pages. I was doing some Atari magazines at the time as well and I think I may have thrown them out.. Anyway! I was given a fresh magazine of that issue that I have chopped up and sitting in the scanner as I type so it should appear in the not too distant future....

BYTE Vol 04-09 1979-09 Homebrewing - 260 Pages 175,643,807 bytes

Issue Vol 04-09 of BYTE Magazine from September 1979... Homebrewing... Optical tape reader, soldering techniques.. What no wire rapping techniques? I thought the introduction to multiprogramming article was splendid.

Foreground

JOYSTICK INTERFACES by Steve Ciarcia

INTRODUCTION TO MULTIPROGRAMMING

INTERFACE A CHESSBOARD TO YOUR KIM-l

A LOW-SPEED ANALOG-TO-OIGITAL CONVERTER

THE NATURE OF ROBOTS, Part 4

INEXPENSIVE, OPTICAL PAPER-TAPE READER

A MODEL OF THE BRAIN FOR ROBOT CONTROL, Part 4

Background

SOME MUSINGS ON HARDWARE DESIGN

SOLDERING TECHNIQUES by William Trimmer

HANDY PULSER by Bob Chrisp

THE AMSAT-GOLEM-80

ADD SOME CONTROL TO YOUR COMPUTER

Nucleus

Editorial: The Rationale of Yet Another Homebrew System

Programming Quickies

Unclassified Ads

BYTE's Bits

Technical Forum

Clubs and Newsletters

BYTE News

Book Reviews

Letters

Languages Forum

Event Queue

What's New?

Reader Service

BOMB

Download it here: BYTE Vol 04-09 1979-09 Homebrewing

Cover

post-12606-129349565648_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129349577055_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So I was reading a 1986 issue...

Tremendous find, Yak! Which issue specifically?

EDIT: Ah, still a cool find, but I didn't realize you were viewing it on your tablet. I thought the tablet was part of the ad... ;-)

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

Here is the ad.. page 142 from the June 1986 BYTE (page 142) - cleaned up a bit as there were some scanning nasties in the original PDF...

post-12606-129363415146_thumb.jpg

So other than there is no place for that BASF floppy they were pretty accurate :) Oh! I want a touch tablet that big! I am pretty sure I could squeeze that bar graph on my android though :) Good find!