IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Person offering to buy my complete collection of Byte let me down! :-(

Collection still up for sale.

perfect condition, many still in shrink wrap delivery packs, except for one slightly water damaged issue in mid-90's

Logistics on delivery still the same, 10.5 cubic feet of magazines here... ;-)

Edited by raindog2112

BYTE Vol 02-10 1977-10 Implementing Spacewar! - 212 Pages 132,028,936 bytes

BYTE Issue Vol 02-10 October 1977... I thought this would be a somewhat boring issue.. I was totally wrong! The Spacewar article is amazing.. Not only is the source code there but a thorough explanation of the game and how to hook it up to an oscilloscope.

I also enjoyed the article on the new Commodore PET (the one with the really crappy keyboard) and the article on the future of color displays... Many more good articles, this is one of my favorite issues to date.

Foreground

RELOCATABILITY AND THE LONG BRANCH

AN APL INTERPRETER FOR MICROCOMPUTERS, Part 3

HOW TO IMPLEMENT SPACE WAR

ANALYZE YOUR CAR'S GAS ECONOMY WITH YOUR COMPUTER

Background

HOW TO WRITE AN APPLICATION PROGRAM

OTHELLO, A NEW ANCI ENT GAME

AN 8080 SIMULATOR

FUNDAMENTALS OF SEQUENTIAL FILE PROCESSING

C: A LANGUAGE FOR MICROPROCESSORS?

SIMPLE APPROACHES TO COMPUTER MUSIC SYNTHESIS

STRUCTURED PROGRAM DESIGN

COMPUTER INFORMATION ARRANGEMENT

MASTERMIND

Nucleus

In This BYTE

The Colorful Future of Personal Computing

Letters

About the Cover . .. and Some More of the Same

Languages Forum : Defining LI L, a Little Interpretive Language

Commodore's New PET Computer

The NCC: A Dallas Delight

Technical Forum: More on Inexpensive Plotters

Book Reviews

BYTE's Bits

BYTE's Bugs

Clubs, Newsletters

Ask BYTE

What's New?

Classified Ads

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-10 1977-10 Implementing Spacewar!

Cover

post-12606-129251591545_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129251593693_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 02-10 1977-10 Spacewar Implementation - 212 Pages 132,028,936 bytes

BYTE Issue Vol 02-10 October 1977... I thought this would be a somewhat boring issue.. I was totally wrong! The Spacewar article is amazing.. Not only is the source code there but a through explanation of the game and how to hook it up to an oscilloscope.

I also enjoyed the article on the new Commodore PET (the one with the really crappy keyboard)...

Indeed. The original PET was how I got my start at age 11 (I recently picked up a chicklet-keyboard PET at the Vintage Computerfest-Midwest, which I'm now restoring). And how about "C: A LANGUAGE FOR MICROPROCESSORS?" (especially since in other contemporary coverage, C was subordinated to PL/1 and FORTRAN for "serious" work, and to BASIC and PASCAL for simpler exercises - boy how that changed just a few years later).

I'm getting a 404 right now (and the covers didn't render in this post). Having site problems?

BYTE Vol 02-10 1977-10 Spacewar Implementation - 212 Pages 132,028,936 bytes

BYTE Issue Vol 02-10 October 1977... I thought this would be a somewhat boring issue.. I was totally wrong! The Spacewar article is amazing.. Not only is the source code there but a through explanation of the game and how to hook it up to an oscilloscope.

I also enjoyed the article on the new Commodore PET (the one with the really crappy keyboard)...

Indeed. The original PET was how I got my start at age 11 (I recently picked up a chicklet-keyboard PET at the Vintage Computerfest-Midwest, which I'm now restoring). And how about "C: A LANGUAGE FOR MICROPROCESSORS?" (especially since in other contemporary coverage, C was subordinated to PL/1 and FORTRAN for "serious" work, and to BASIC and PASCAL for simpler exercises - boy how that changed just a few years later).

I'm getting a 404 right now (and the covers didn't render in this post). Having site problems?

I had the year wrong on the filename (and the name was wrong on here as well).. I always get something wrong but I usually get it fixed before someone notices.. You guys are too fast! :) Speaking of which.. Your quote still has the wrong url.. Can you fix that?

There was a comment that a few of the pages were a bit washed out in the last 1986 posting.. I noticed that and forgot to go back and fix it.. I tossed the magazine before reading the post so unfortunately I can't do anything about it.

I should have another Issue up Saturday.. An Issue from 1978 focusing on Pascal.

Oftentimes I'd use byte (when I was a kid) to determine what hardware cards to buy, for the Apple II+. I kept hoping that all this sophisticated s-100 bus stuff would trickle down to something we could afford!

We started subscribing to Byte in 1979, right before we bought a 32K PET with full-sized keyboard (used it was $1100 with external C2N tape drive!) We never waited for stuff to trickle down, but I did read all the ads for the S-100 stuff and was amazed at what a serious system would cost (48K-64K plus floppies plus dumb terminal was "standard" by then, and cost a couple grand). I don't remember first-gen S-100 stuff being widely available at used prices (perhaps because folks held on to what they had and upgraded, or perhaps because it just wasn't easy to advertise used gear).

Edited by erd

There was a comment that a few of the pages were a bit washed out in the last 1986 posting.. I noticed that and forgot to go back and fix it.. I tossed the magazine before reading the post so unfortunately I can't do anything about it.

Unfortunately, I have fairly limited scanning equipment, and do not want to cut my magazines up - however, here's a scan of page 90. Perhaps somebody with good editing skills and a PDF editor could stitch these together?

If you need me to scan again (differently, higher res, etc. currently scanned at 300x300), let me know.

Edited by raindog2112

Unfortunately, I have fairly limited scanning equipment, and do not want to cut my magazines up - however, here's a scan of page 90. Perhaps somebody with good editing skills and a PDF editor could stitch these together?

If you need me to scan again (differently, higher res, etc. currently scanned at 300x300), let me know.

For some reason when I edited the attachment got lost... Here it is.

post-27654-129252256022_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Oftentimes I'd use byte (when I was a kid) to determine what hardware cards to buy, for the Apple II+. I kept hoping that all this sophisticated s-100 bus stuff would trickle down to something we could afford!

We started subscribing to Byte in 1979, right before we bought a 32K PET with full-sized keyboard (used it was $1100 with external C2N tape drive!) We never waited for stuff to trickle down, but I did read all the ads for the S-100 stuff and was amazed at what a serious system would cost (48K-64K plus floppies plus dumb terminal was "standard" by then, and cost a couple grand). I don't remember first-gen S-100 stuff being widely available at used prices (perhaps because folks held on to what they had and upgraded, or perhaps because it just wasn't easy to advertise used gear).

In the late 80's and early 90's in the old computer shopper magazines you could buy S-100 boards by the pound.. Had we known what the S-100 stuff would sell for on eBay 10 years later.....

Book: Out of the Inner Circle

So I was cleaning an old toolbox out and came across a couple of old books... They are not in too great of shape so I decided to hack them up and scan them in.. The first one is from 1985 and is called "Out of the Inner Circle". I remember reading this book as a teenager after I got my first modem and thought I was going to be the best hacker ever heh :) ANTIC did a blurb on it: ANTIC Blurb

A couple of interesting trivia points on this book.. The author (18 y/o at the time) was supposed to write a second book but vanished while writing it.. The PC was left on with some sort of suicide note. That was the story I always remembered.. While doing a little reading today it looks like he just disappeared for a few months.. though nobody seems to have ever seen him again after he was spotted in Seattle a few months after vanishing... You can read about it in this phrack from back then: Phrack archive - You will need to search for "landreth" to find the story...

The other trivia point.. The last person to see Bill Landreth before he vanished (he was living with him - the guy went to take a shower and when he came back Bill Landreth was gone with the PC in mid sentence of a book they were writing) was another person busted by the FBI back then.. Turns out the guy ended up doing OK :) http://techcrunch.com/2008/08/30/myspace-cofounder-tom-anderson-was-a-real-life-wargames-hacker-in-1980s/

Read it! Its an interesting read: Out of the Inner Circle

post-12606-129254908421_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am still trying to figure out how to save the image to my computer .... no right-click save-as :)

I am still trying to figure out how to save the image to my computer .... no right-click save-as :)

WAAAAY down in the lower-right hand corner is a picture of a little disk with "Save". Click that. You'll need to scroll to get there.

http://www.wa4dsy.net/heatherington/hayes/videos.html

Some videos and inside Hayes micromodems -- http://www.wa4dsy.net/heatherington/hayes/videos.html

A little inside look at the most popular modem of the time, so prominently featured in byte advertisements. The quality of these modems was outstanding. When the advertisements stress quality it was an understatement. I could only wish that today's stuff would be built this way. Not even apple products compare..

The micromodem ][ was seemingly invulnerable to static discharges, me at the time, a 10 year old kid, we'd reconfigure our apple ][ several times a day, and leave the modem on the carpet floor, in winter!

The metal-cased external ones were basically aluminum ingots! You could run them over with a car and not break them. !! Amazing!! Today, if I drop my siht-ahssed motorola modem, it's broked'fer good!! Cheap crap.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

BYTE Vol 03-08 1978-08 Pascal - 212 Pages 127,989,324 bytes

BYTE Issue Vol 03-08 August 1978... I hope you like Pascal because they really went overboard with it in this issue.. Articles on comparing it to BASIC, an article on comparing it to COBOL, articles on structured programming, an article on compilation of Pascal.. Pascal Pascal Pascal.

Foreground

COMPILATION AND PASCAL ON THE NEW MICROPROCESSORS

PASCAL: A Structurally Strong Language

DESIGNING STRUCTURED PROGRAMS

LET YOUR FINGERS DO THE TALKING: Add a Noncontact Touch Scanner

Background

ON BUILDING A LIGHT-SEEKING ROBOT MECHANISM

THE NUMBER CRUNCHING PROCESSOR

PHILADELPHIA'S 179 YEAR OLD ANDROID

ANTIQUE MECHANICAL COMPUTERS, Part 2

IN PRAISE OF PASCAL

PASCAL VERSUS COBOL: Where Pascal Gets Down to Business

JACPOT

PASCAL VERSUS BASIC: An Exercise

Nucleus

In This BYTE

A Vision of an Industry

Letters

Technical Forum: A Letter Exchange: Extending S-100 Bus?

About the Cover

Languages Forum: A Homebrew Pascal Compiler

Clubs, Newsletters

BYTE's Bugs

Consistency - or a Lack Thereof

Languages Forum: A Proposed Pascal Compiler

Event Queue

What's New?

Unclassified Ads

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 03-08 1978-08 Pascal

Cover

post-12606-129277172102_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129277174828_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think in Firefox (for the Mac) at least if you right click and select "Save link as..." then it should do the trick.

I think in Firefox (for the Mac) at least if you right click and select "Save link as..." then it should do the trick.

After clicking on the thumbnail photo itself, it opens in a java window, then lower right corner you click save, THEN it opens in a fresh tab to which you can right click or use whatever support your browser has to save images.

BYTE Vol 07-06 1982-06 Bonus.jpg

Fitting ad, I think Shatner's toupee was the wonder toupee of the 80's.

I wonder if Atari sued Commodore for the blantant lies in there for the 400:

Doesnt work with Disk drive, Printer, and modem

Max 16k memory

0 Programmable function keys (Start/Select/Option)

Microsoft Basic N/A

post-12606-129194867641_thumb.jpg

Page 90 is kind of washed out, but still readable. Could it have been that way in the original?

This has been fixed (thanks to raindog2112 for scanning the faded page) and re-uploaded to the original location.

I think this thread has been mentioned elsewhere recently as there has been a major upswing in the bandwidth being used.. Nothing too bad yet :)

BYTE Vol 00-06 1976-02 Color Graphics - 100 Pages 54,765,923 bytes

Issue #6 of BYTE Magazine... My Dear Aunt Sally on the cover.. I always remembered her as "Sally Forth" in Analog magazine - boy that broad gets around! :) Looks like she is all about parser algorithms this month.

Foreground

KEYBOARD MODIFICATION

LEDs LIGHT UP YOUR LOGIC

BUILD A TTL PULSE CATCHER

DRESSING UP FRONT PANELS

Background

MY DEAR AUNT SALLY

PROCESSING ALGEBRAIC EXPRESSIONS

DATA PATHS

THE NEW ALTAIR 680

HOW TO SAVE THE BYTES

MORE ON THE SWTPC 6800 SYSTEM

TV COLOR GRAPHICS

COULD A COMPUTER TAKE OVER?

Nucleus

In This BYTE

Join the Club

Letters

Our New Offices

BYTE's Bits

Chips Found Floating Down Silicon Slough

Classified Ads

Numbers

Clubs, Newsletters

Audio Cassette Standards Symposium

View From Silicon Valley

8080 Op Code Table

Book Reviews

BOMB

The BYTE Questionnaire

Reader's Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-05 1977-02 Color Graphics

Cover

post-12606-129311421313_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129311423185_thumb.jpg

I was going to post up a larger issue this week but seeing as how we have 35 current readers in this thread (up from the 3-4 at any given time normally) and we went from 14000 to 15000 in the thread reads in one day.. I thought I better put up a smaller issue just to be safe...

• Like 2

post-12606-128785690639_thumb.jpg

Fitting ad, I think Shatner's toupee was the wonder toupee of the 80's.

I wonder if Atari sued Commodore for the blantant lies in there for the 400:

Doesnt work with Disk drive, Printer, and modem

Max 16k memory

0 Programmable function keys (Start/Select/Option)

Microsoft Basic N/A

Actually, the way Commodore phrased it, it's not really a lie since you'd need an extra device to connect all of those peripherals. Same thing with Microsoft BASIC. You'd have to buy it separately. These types of comparative ads were fairly common from the 70's through the late 80's (both videogames and computers) and each ad did some funky stuff (sometimes even combining things like RAM and ROM to make their system appear to have more memory) - short of out and out lies - to make their systems look the best.