IGNORED

Super Circus AtariAge (new WIP)

PacManPlus

Three questions:

1. Are 7800/POKEY-on-cart versions still available?

2. Would you take a donor cart to make a stock 7800/POKEY SCAA cart?

3. If one gets the 7800/POKEY version (the non-XM version) will there be any issues with it if, by chance, you later get an XM?

I'm still not "sold" on XM yet. I know it's exciting, but there's only so many games I'm really interested in right now, and my retro gaming fund does go to other systems too (NES, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast) in addition to my here and now gaming needs.

But if and when I do get an XM I'd like to be assured that my POKEY cart copy of SCAA will work properly on it. I'm sure it's a non-issue and you've tested already, but just making sure. y'know, stuff like HSC support via XM still being supported by the non-XM POKEY cart version, and the POKEY on the cart not being an issue with the XM (though I'm sure it's not, otherwise owners of Commando would be irked).

Like I stated, only so many dollars for my 7800 retro gaming as I've got other retro gaming needs/desires. But SCAA is high on the list since I'm absolutely friggin' addicted to the game (been playing it on mess).

Edited by spiffyone

I'd gladly buy, (in whatever way it took to do so), a stand-alone version. There's been too little visibility to "sell" me on the XM unit as of yet, so I'd rather take the safer bet of a stand-alone copy of this.

Even if I had to pay a bit extra for the donor cart, or mail you one myself (which, I happen to have an extra Ballblazer laying around). After buying your various Pac-family games, I know anything you make is gold. :D

Edited by DocEss

Hi Guys:

Thank you very much for the offers- I have to find some 74LS04 chips to put in some of the Ballblazer carts.

At this point, though I think the carts will be XM only, please.

@Almost Rice: I sent JayBird3rd an PM, but never heard back.

@spiffyone: 1. Unfortunately, no. 2. At this point, I would rather not sacrifice any more Ballblazer carts. 3. No, as the Cartridge Pokey is in a different memory address than the XM.

Also, thank you for the compliments :)

@Mayhem: The XM version will work on a non-XM 7800. You just won't hear anything.

@durkada: You've been added. :)

@DocEss: Thanks for the compliments :)

Thanks,

Bob

Its a moot point but you could write to both POKEY locations if you wanted a one code fits all solution.

How I do it in Beef Drop is I always write to both locations, but I do not enable the XBoard POKEY if there is one detected on the cartridge (in theory, at least, since I have never been able to test that).

Hi Guys:

Thank you very much for the offers- I have to find some 74LS04 chips to put in some of the Ballblazer carts.

At this point, though I think the carts will be XM only, please.

@Almost Rice: I sent JayBird3rd an PM, but never heard back.

@spiffyone: 1. Unfortunately, no. 2. At this point, I would rather not sacrifice any more Ballblazer carts. 3. No, as the Cartridge Pokey is in a different memory address than the XM.

Also, thank you for the compliments :)

@Mayhem: The XM version will work on a non-XM 7800. You just won't hear anything.

@durkada: You've been added. :)

@DocEss: Thanks for the compliments :)

Thanks,

Bob

So I suppose that means I'll miss out unless I get an XM?

Guys:

Before this gets out of hand, let me say this:

With this game specifically, I started out to make a game for the XM add on. It turns out with what I did, I ended up not needing the expanded memory (otherwise this wouldn't even be an issue). So the only two things it uses from the XM are the High Score saving, and the Pokey sound. I had a few Pokey boards hanging around, so I made two stand-alone carts - which was not the original intent. I didn't even know at the time that 'Ballblazer' had grown in rarity as it did due to O'Sheas' lack of vision / caring.

I'm almost sorry at this point that I offered the Stand-Alone Pokey version as I don't want this to be reduced to complaining about needing the XM. The game was designed with that add-on in mind so there were more titles at launch.

Please, this is an XM game that I wanted to make a few one-offs of *just because it so happens that I didn't use the expanded memory for this game*.

I am sorry if that upsets anyone.

Also, a big 'thank you' for the kind words about my work.

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 3