IGNORED

Super Circus AtariAge (new WIP)

PacManPlus

Thanks again, guys!

But I will say this: you may get away by simply picking a waltz and looping through a couple bars. They always seem to suggest haphazard concentration to me -- like some precarious balancing act about to collapse.

The above is what I ended up doing. I don't think the music is half-bad for being made up on the spot. I think Circus music is mostly identified be a waltz (as stated above) and a *lot* of accidentals. So I did most of that here. I use the same music in-game, but *much* lower in volume.

Here is RC1. Let me know what you think. :)

Thanks,

Bob

The newest version crashed on the High-Score page.

Allan

Hey Allan! Haven't spoken to you in a while :(

Did it crash in the emulator or on the real thing? I've been testing it and it hasn't caused an issue on the High Score Screen for me. Damn. It seems like every game I go through this... and I reuse the code that worked on the last game!

Looks and sounds awesome. Love having both classic and 7800 modes too. Just one question, the sound goes down in volume when the game starts. Is that intentional or a glitch? Thanks for creating and sharing this!

Hey man - Yes, It is intentionally lower in-game as to not become too annoying.

Bob

The music is pretty good for something you just whipped up. Only a few suggestions regarding it, some of which, you probably already planned:

* Lower the volume of the music a bit more. I turned down the volume significantly on my laptop.

* Maybe slow it down? I think a slower waltz would be much better. At faster speeds it sounds like its coming from an organ grinder, where as a slower piece, I think it will help to convey that precarious sensation I was alluding to earlier.

* Stop the music immediately when a clown hits the ground. Restart it with the next jump. I realize this is not possible in multi-player simultaneous at present -- but at least stop it. In multiplayer, if you could simply raise the volume having it get back into play would be good.

Otherwise, I'm glad to hear the tune. You must have knocked it out so quickly to afford time to implement a few multiplayer modes ;)

So, with no significant changes that I see to the game play. I still enjoy playing it as I did before. It certainly has that classic video game "one more quick game" feel to it.

Cheers,

Jon

* Lower the volume of the music a bit more. I turned down the volume significantly on my laptop.

In my opinion the volume should be judged on real hardware only and not emulation. The volume relationship between POKEY and TIA in ProSystem (for example) does not match the real hardware.

In my opinion the volume should be judged on real hardware only and not emulation. The volume relationship between POKEY and TIA in ProSystem (for example) does not match the real hardware.

That's fair, and a very good point. Otherwise, I was under the impression all sound was being produced by the POKEY in this one. I'm also using sdlmess, if that makes a difference. Can you mix the two chips together for sound?

That's fair, and a very good point. Otherwise, I was under the impression all sound was being produced by the POKEY in this one. I'm also using sdlmess, if that makes a difference. Can you mix the two chips together for sound?

TIA and POKEY sounds are mixed together in ProSystem (no idea about other emulators but its probably the same). However, the mixing process in ProSystem does not mimic the hardware exactly.

The newest version crashed on the High-Score page.

Allan

Hey Allan! Haven't spoken to you in a while :(

Did it crash in the emulator or on the real thing? I've been testing it and it hasn't caused an issue on the High Score Screen for me. Damn. It seems like every game I go through this... and I reuse the code that worked on the last game!

The high score menu works fine for me on real hardware. I do however get two instances of the music playing when I let the screen return from the high score menu to the title screen. The title screen music is also significantly louder than the in game sounds. That's annoying when going back to the menu from the game.

Otherwise everything looks great.

TIA and POKEY sounds are mixed together in ProSystem (no idea about other emulators but its probably the same). However, the mixing process in ProSystem does not mimic the hardware exactly.

Are you talking NTSC real console or PAL real console, they're different. The PAL console is balanced incorrectly (POKEY volume is too soft). I don't remember, which one does ProSystem more closely emulate?

Mitch

Hi guys - RC2 Here :)

- Music should not 're-start' while it's already playing (effectively doubling the tune)

- Music is a little lower on title screen

- Music is a little slower

- Music starts when clown enters screen (in non-simultaneous mode only)

- Music stops upon death of clown (in non-simultaneous mode only)

- In simultaneous mode, music always plays in background

Being that I keep two channels for the background music, ther is more of a chance of some game sounds getting cut off. Shouldn't happen too often though - moreso in simultaneous mode.

Enjoy!

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks, Walter :)

RC3:

1. - Driving Controller value multiplied by 4 instead of 2. Makes the game more playable with the driving controllers, but has more 'jerky' movement.
  2. - Left Difficulty Switch: Left position - Each player (in a 2-player alternating game) gets their own set of balloons. Right position - Both players (in a 2-player alternating game) share the same set of balloons.
  3. - Right Difficulty Switch: Left position - No additional barriers under the balloons. Right position - A set of three moving barriers under the balloons.

Now, about those moving barriers. In a 1-player game or 2-player simultaneous game, they move to the right at a fixed speed. In a 2-player alternating game, the opposite player controls the movement of the barriers (i.e. if it's player 1's turn, player 2 controls the movement of the barriers).

Enjoy! :)

Bob

Hi Allan:

I can't reproduce this error either in emulation nor on the real thing :( I let it sit for an hour.

Is this the line you have on your CCII?:

"7800: Super Circus AtariAge SUPERCIR 78HSCPOK HSC"

Also, do you have the newest version of 78HSCPOK that Chad has on his site?:

There are updated files on here (second link under startup files, and first link under bankswitching files

http://schells.com/cc2utils/cc2files.shtml

Also, can anyone else reproduce this?

Thanks,

Bob

:( I did that too. Still works for me.

I may just start blindly changing things just to see if it helps. Does it crash going in to display the scores or after it displayes them for a few seconds?

Also, do you have a Pokey chip in your CCII?

Thanks,

Bob

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes I have a Pokey.

My settings are classic mode off, refill all, difficulty easy, controller paddle.

It just just crashed again once it went to the high-score screen. I restarted the 7800 and changed all the settings to what I had before except the controller option. It didn't crash but the title on the high-score screen is all screwed up.

Allan

OK. So start the game, set all the settings to classic off, refill all, easy, and paddle controller. Then wait until it goes to the high-score screen. It will show the screen fine but once it is done the title fills with garbage for a second and then the screen goes blank. I was able to do it four times in a row with the exact same results. All five of the scores are filled. That might make a difference but I'm not sure.

Allan

Something that's kind of weird but I assume there's no way around is a person has to plug a joystick into the second slot to get out of the high score screen if there are two players and you're using paddles. The first player works like normal. The second player button changes the numbers but nothing else will make it move to the next initial slot.

I did kind of get some corrupt graphics of the player in a game but I can't repeat it. That game was no classic, easy 1 player paddle difficulty switches both to the right.

How many DAMN times do you have to hit the AA balloon?

Allan

10 Times. I can change it if people feel it's too many times. It used to be 16.

Ok - I've been working on this literally ALL DAY. I copied the sample High Score routines from Desert Falcon that was provided by Curt as is, and I *STILL* cannot get the logo to work correctly. It shows up as garbage.

I've been thinking about this. Being that (at least the games I make) have a splash screen already, it isn't necessary to have the logo on the High Score Screen as well (most of the arcade games of the time didn't anyway). There's no problem getting the HSC to work with text at the top, so this is what I plan on doing from now on with my games. It will save me weeks of headaches of fighting with trying to get the HSC logo to work for *every game*.

That being said, here is RC4. Allan, I don't think the HSC will crash any more.

Thanks,

Bob