IGNORED

Scott Pilgrim

cimerians

there's a movie? I must be out of touch, I've never heard of a scott pilgrim before the demo. What is it?

I did like the demo. It was a kind of double-dragon beat'em up in that new moves are added while playing. Neat scenery details, neat music too, but the whole thing stunk a bit of that fakey pixel art fad that stopped being cool half a decade ago. Not that it wasn't a decent use of 'fakey pixel art' but it ended up feeling more like 2004 cliche then the 1994 nostalgia I think they were shooting for.

Still it was nice to play a 2d beat'em up again, and nice that the title didn't take itself seriously which is probably why it's so easy to cut it slack on the art. I did like the thickness of polish, especially during the intro. If it goes on sale I may buy it, but the demo was long enough that I think I had most of the fun I'm ever going to have. That 1 demo level felt like 3 or 4 levels in terms of length and changes in scenery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAY4vNJd7A8

Edited by Reaperman

I need to check this out!

there's a movie? I must be out of touch, I've never heard of a scott pilgrim before the demo. What is it?

Trailers can be watched here. The movie is based on a graphic novel series.

but the whole thing stunk a bit of that fakey pixel art fad that stopped being cool half a decade ago.

It's totally appropriate for Scott Pilgrim - 30 'Scott Pilgrim' Video Game & Pop Culture References

1. Scott's band is called Sex Bob-omb. A bob-omb is a wind-up walking bomb that made its debut in Super Mario Bros.

2. When Scott defeats Ramona's evil exes, they dissolve into coins.

The demo is loooong, probably enough to keep it rather than the game itself! LOL

You have to be a fan to really appreciate the game and movie but I think the game holds up very well on its own for gaming nerds like me who may have not heard of the graphic novels.

The only thing that for me takes a few points off a 5 star rating is that its actually kind of hard to hit things. Like the collision detection is off a bit.

Co-op mode was cool but no drop in at any time feature. You basically have to start the game together with a friend.

I like the way food increses your XP and stats in different ways.

Its a thumbs up for me. Definitely one of the better games on PSN in a while. Level up! :P

Coming out on Xbox 360 soon, for those who would rather wait for that or don't have a PS3.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, it's rad.

River City Ransom meets golden axe meets retro homage.

Beat up people, buy stuff, fight bosses, good chiptunes music, great graphics, tons of little gamer in-jokes.... if only more remakes were of this caliber. One of the best movie tie in games ever IMHO.

The folks behind this little gem know how to make a modern retro game, and make it right.