IGNORED

How about an SNES style controller for Genesis?

figgler

I've been quietly re-building a Genesis collection because of some good thrift finds over the past 7 months. I realised that it'd get more play if I could pick up a controller that was the same form and mapping as an SNES pad, which I prefer.

Any recommendations appreciated ;)

You actually prefer a SNES pad to a Genesis 6-button pad? Well I guess it depends on the type of game. Fighting games the Sega controller wins but racing/flying the SNES controller takes it! LOL but seriously I think it could only be done with some extra hardware to convert the signal types. It wouldn't be easy unless you have some electronic skills but it's possible I'm sure. I wouldn't actually have any clue how to do it or what you would need. Some type of timing and/or encoding IC I would imagine? But I'm only guessing!

Edited by MN12BIRD
  • Like 1

This is kinda sorta maybe like an SNES pad... at least in general lay-out. It's a third party controller which was made in both SNES and Genesis versions, but the layout is much more like an SNES pad than a Genesis pad.

http://www.gamersace.com/sega-genesis-programpad-6-aftermarket-gaming-controller-p-520.html

There are some other pads on that store for the Genesis which follow a similar theme.

You actually prefer a SNES pad to a Genesis 6-button pad? Well I guess it depends on the type of game. Fighting games the Sega controller wins but racing/flying the SNES controller takes it! LOL but seriously I think it could only be done with some extra hardware to convert the signal types. It wouldn't be easy unless you have some electronic skills but it's possible I'm sure. I wouldn't actually have any clue how to do it or what you would need. Some type of timing and/or encoding IC I would imagine? But I'm only guessing!

Agree mostly, but I prefer the Sega 6-button over the SNES cause it doesn't cramp me up much.

The electronic conversion could be done. You have six buttons on the Sega, plus start and d-pad.

There are four buttons plus two shoulders (bumpers, whatever) plus start and select on the SNES.

You would basically need to gut one SNES controller, one Turbo Gen six button (so you can have room for both the start and select) and do a transplant. No spares at the moment to try it, but yeah, definitely possible with a bit of plastic modding and lots of patience.

Still have to say, the Sega Six Button is my fav controller of all time so I must be a fanboy. :lust:

I own this one. The ASCII Pad SG 6

http://www.sega-16.c...ipheral%20Guide

I have a couple of those too, pretty nice really. Probably terrible for fighting games (which I hardly play) but it's my favorite for 32x Doom and 32x Star Wars Arcade. It's hard to tell in the pic, but the extra 2 buttons are shoulder buttons, which are great for that trigger feel!

genesis_ascii6.jpg

Edited by SRGilbert

I had the ASCII pad too. I used it a lot before I got a normal 6-button. It has a strong build (hard smooth plastic) and a nice thin feel to the buttons, but the right "R" is actually "C" which is awkward for many games that just use the A-B-C layout unless you can change the controls in the options.

Oddly enough, I now just use the original 3-button one by Sega, that came with it. Most games never used more than 3 buttons and I like the feel of this one (though the d-pad was best on the 6-button and Saturn ones).

I own this one. The ASCII Pad SG 6

http://www.sega-16.c...ipheral%20Guide

I have a couple of those too, pretty nice really. Probably terrible for fighting games (which I hardly play) but it's my favorite for 32x Doom and 32x Star Wars Arcade. It's hard to tell in the pic, but the extra 2 buttons are shoulder buttons, which are great for that trigger feel!

genesis_ascii6.jpg

I have this one! I'll have to try it on diffeent games, it is not so good for most, though; the button layout is a bit odd for default settings (like you said already). But it's a great controller.