IGNORED

Ms Pac-man with updated sounds

tep392

I've taken the pokey sounds I added to 7800 Pac-man Collection and incorporated them into 5200 Ms. Pac-man. I originally barrowed from the 5200 sounds when I did the 7800, but people soon let me know about all the errors in sound effects compared to the arcade version. I spent a lot of time upgrading them to be more like the arcade and this is the result.

Regards,

Perry

mspacnewsound.zip

• Like 2

I'm interested in trying this out when I get home! :)

Any chance of also updating 5200 Pacman sounds with the proper "wocka wocka" dot-eating sounds? There's 8-bit versions of the exact same game with the proper sound actually.. but they all have something missing or odd. I can give you the atr files if you don't have them and want to see . :)

I'm interested in trying this out when I get home! icon_smile.gif

Any chance of also updating 5200 Pacman sounds with the proper "wocka wocka" dot-eating sounds? There's 8-bit versions of the exact same game with the proper sound actually.. but they all have something missing or odd. I can give you the atr files if you don't have them and want to see . icon_smile.gif

I remember looking at this when I started working on the 7800 code. The only difference between the 8-bit and 5200 chomp sound is the value store in the AUDCx register. Should be able to fix the 5200 version by changing a single byte in the code. I don't have time to look at it now, but should be able to post something in the next couple days.

edit: Try this one.

PacMan_fixed_munch.bin

Edited by tep392
  • Like 2

I've taken the pokey sounds I added to 7800 Pac-man Collection and incorporated them into 5200 Ms. Pac-man. I originally barrowed from the 5200 sounds when I did the 7800, but people soon let me know about all the errors in sound effects compared to the arcade version. I spent a lot of time upgrading them to be more like the arcade and this is the result.

Regards,

Perry

Nice. How about fixing the horrible colors in Ms. Pacman?

-Jeff

• 6 months later...
I've taken the pokey sounds I added to 7800 Pac-man Collection and incorporated them into 5200 Ms. Pac-man.

It's not working on my 5200 for some reason. It boots, but I can't control Ms. Pac-Man and when I move the joystick, I get a couple tiles of garbled graphics here and there. Any idea what's wrong? BTW, I'm using the 128-in-1 Multi-Cart.

I've taken the pokey sounds I added to 7800 Pac-man Collection and incorporated them into 5200 Ms. Pac-man.

It's not working on my 5200 for some reason. It boots, but I can't control Ms. Pac-Man and when I move the joystick, I get a couple tiles of garbled graphics here and there. Any idea what's wrong? BTW, I'm using the 128-in-1 Multi-Cart.

I don't have a 5200 so have only tested on the Atari800win emulator. Maybe someone else who has tried it can let us know if it worked in hardware.

In the mean time I'll take a look at the code to see what might be happening.

Perry

If it helps track the problem, I tried the standard Ms. Pac-Man ROM and it does the same thing. I hadn't noticed it before because I'd only played the original cart instead of the Multi-Cart. There may be a problem with the ROM you used to add the sound hacks.

If it helps track the problem, I tried the standard Ms. Pac-Man ROM and it does the same thing. I hadn't noticed it before because I'd only played the original cart instead of the Multi-Cart. There may be a problem with the ROM you used to add the sound hacks.

I used the ROM from the Atariage archive. If this is the one you say has the same problem then it could be a problem with the ROM dump. Could also be a problem with your multicart. I'll start by checking the AA dump against some of the others available on the net.

Edited by tep392

I just tried the ROM from the AA archive and I get the same result. The stock ROM I tried before was 16k, this one was 32k. So far, all 3 ROMs I've tried don't work right on the 5200 with the Multi-Cart. I hope it's a bad dump floating around and not some incompatibility with the Multi-Cart, (though I don't know why it would be the latter).

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried the ROM from the AA archive and I get the same result. The stock ROM I tried before was 16k, this one was 32k. So far, all 3 ROMs I've tried don't work right on the 5200 with the Multi-Cart. I hope it's a bad dump floating around and not some incompatibility with the Multi-Cart, (though I don't know why it would be the latter).

I've compared the 16k Atarimania dump and 32k AA versions and they are identical. The 1st 8k of the 16k image gets repeated twice in the 32k version. Then 2nd 8k is repeated twice. It's because the 16k cart is a "two chip" type and this is how it gets mapped into the 32k rom space on the 5200. The 32k version on AA is just a dump of the full 32k rom space. The 16k "two chip" cart is mapped as follows.

$4000 8k chip1

$6000 8k chip1

$8000 8k chip2

$a000 8k chip2

Is this the 128 in 1 Atarimax cart? You should contact Steve at Atarimax to see if he can help figure this out.

• 5 years later...

Want to do a game completely on the 800xl. Graphics design, program, assemble, debug. I'm starting off with something that I already have a head start on with the sound. I'm trying to make the board with the correct aspect ratio and off course goal for game play is to match the arcade. Did these with font editor Envision. They only exist on floppy disk right now since I have no device for backing up to PC. I guess I like living dangerously. :)

post-24519-0-93390000-1490484859_thumb.jpgpost-24519-0-73691200-1490484867_thumb.jpg

post-24519-0-66297300-1490484874_thumb.jpgpost-24519-0-62388300-1490484884_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I remember looking at this when I started working on the 7800 code. The only difference between the 8-bit and 5200 chomp sound is the value store in the AUDCx register. Should be able to fix the 5200 version by changing a single byte in the code. I don't have time to look at it now, but should be able to post something in the next couple days.

edit: Try this one.

This changed the sound, but it is pure noise instead of the distorted sound. Sounds more like a steam locomotive.

So don't thin them out horizontally. It looks like they're thicker vertically anyway.

I was shooting for it to be just a bit thinner horizontally compared to vertically because on PAL machines it will be wider horizontally. I'll try it out and see how it looks.

I was shooting for it to be just a bit thinner horizontally compared to vertically because on PAL machines it will be wider horizontally. I'll try it out and see how it looks.

I guess it amounts to the same thing, but PAL pixels are in fact thinner vertically.

Actually, I'm curious why you would cater to PAL over NTSC -- given that you're in the U.S.?

Edited by MrFish

I guess it amounts to the same thing, but PAL pixels are in fact thinner vertically.

Actually, I'm curious why you would cater to PAL over NTSC -- given that you're in the U.S.?

Thinner vertically then, but the result is the same, pixel ratio is about 2:1 vs. 1.6:1 for NTSC. I'm shooting for a balance because I have sold plenty of Pac-man Arcade carts to PAL countries. Pac-man arcade supported both video standards and i plan to do the same for this one.

Thinner vertically then, but the result is the same, pixel ratio is about 2:1 vs. 1.6:1 for NTSC. I'm shooting for a balance because I have sold plenty of Pac-man Arcade carts to PAL countries. Pac-man arcade supported both video standards and i plan to do the same for this one.

I pretty much design graphics exclusively in 2:1, because it's just easier to deal with. So PAL almost always gets favored by default. But when it comes to borderline cases, I favor NTSC. In the end, I think things always balance out. As far as supporting PAL color standards, I always do.