IGNORED

How does it end?

deadly discman

Keys 2x5000 = 10,000...and I subtracted the 256th board of dots at the end (2400).

That's what I threw the last paragraph in for. But with the two flaws corrected, the total comes to 3,287,600 (before adding anything from the split-screen).

Nothing major...just a little puzzle. ;)

And the game "roms" are available here (after you sign up) :http://www.mame.dk

They haven't been available there for some time after the lawyers got to them.

Could try the wayback machine though. I think you can still find them there.

At this point, your best chance of getting ROM sets that actually work is to get a newsreader and monitor alt.binaries.emulators.[arcade,misc] for a month or so. Inevitably someone will do a MAME flood, especially in the weeks following a MAME version release.

You pretty much need a great news server and a lot of persistence, though, as last time I did this (in the 0.5x series somewhere) a complete verified set came to about 4.2GB and took a few weeks to get posted entirely.

In the past, people have tried moving such operations to Gnutella (...Limewire, Bearshare) or Freenet, but there you can expect lots of issues with versioning and merged sets.

Rob

@NE146

How did it go?  How many boards did you go through?

Haven't done it yet! After I got home last night from "shopping" (translation: hanging around clothing racks while the wife browses) my mouth was in agony after my dental work "numbness" started wearing off... so I took some pain killers and promptly passed out until this morning! Then of course I had to get dressed and head out to the stores again. Now I just got back for about 10 minutes to regroup before we head over to Best Buy to snag an X-Box.. :roll:

But I'll try it late tonight! :)

If that's the case, it's impossible because the ghosts stop changing after a certain number of boards.  The most you can get with a dot on the later boards is one ghost if you time it perfectly.  I don't have any current Guiness Recordbooks, so I wasn't sure if anyone's ever actually managed a perfect game or if the 3,330,000 meant eating all for ghosts on every power pellet on every board or not.

It's not impossible. The ghosts stop turning blue on the 9th key. But prior to that yeah you only have a second or so to eat them. The trick is you really do have to know how to "group" them so they're RIGHT THERE when you eat a power pill. Now of course personally I've never done it. But here's the story on Billie Mitchel and his perfect game of Pacman..

http://www.twingalaxies.com/PR-Pac-Man_Wor...rld_Record.html

What I meant is that AFTER the ghosts stop changing at all (10th key on), you can simultaneously gobble a power pellet and a ghost at the same time for an additional 200 points. Thanks for the link. I can't believe that guy was able to accomplish that score on one life.

What I meant is that AFTER the ghosts stop changing at all (10th key on), you can simultaneously gobble a power pellet and a ghost at the same time for an additional 200 points.

No way?!? Has anybody here done that?

238 boards X 200 pts. per pellet X 4 pellets per board= 190,400....that would -really- mess up the top score...sounds bogus.

What I meant is that AFTER the ghosts stop changing at all (10th key on), you can simultaneously gobble a power pellet and a ghost at the same time for an additional 200 points.

No way?!? Has anybody here done that?

238 boards X 200 pts. per pellet X 4 pellets per board= 190,400....that would -really- mess up the top score...sounds bogus.

It's very possible if you time it perfectly. I was working under the assumption that this trick was already factored into the perfect game score.

I've only got a 486...playing Mame would be so slow as to be impossible. I'll give it a shot, though.

It's very possible if you time it perfectly.  I was working under the assumption that this trick was already factored into the perfect game score.

Nope...only the 18 boards where the monsters actually change color are factored into the score. The problem of getting all 4 monsters on one pellet still sounds kind of shady, since you will still only "eat" them one at a time (seems like certian death since one is bound to change back before getting gulped). Does anyone have a vid of this being done on a lightning-changeback level?

I've only got a 486...playing Mame would be so slow as to be impossible.  I'll give it a shot, though.

It's very possible if you time it perfectly.  I was working under the assumption that this trick was already factored into the perfect game score.

Nope...only the 18 boards where the monsters actually change color are factored into the score. The problem of getting all 4 monsters on one pellet still sounds kind of shady, since you will still only "eat" them one at a time (seems like certian death since one is bound to change back before getting gulped). Does anyone have a vid of this being done on a lightning-changeback level?

Isn't it amazing how much hype still surrounds this game after so many years? The ghosts have to be practically on top of each other to get all four on the last key level where they do change. Maybe someone has the video on file from when the first "perfect" game was achieved.

What are you talking about?? from the 9th key on, the ghosts do NOT turn blue at all. They simply reverse directions. So if you were to simultaneously eat a powerpill and ghost, you'd DIE. You won't collect 200pts :P The ghosts never ever turn blue. You can't eat them :roll:

Hey Nukey, ok I did it. pucman.zip in mame, turned on the cheat to keep ghosts constantly blue, hit f10 for speedup, then got into a groove where with the game running at approx 400% speed I was able to clear a board at 15-20 seconds avg. and keept track of the board numbers with a calculator (just typing in the number manually at the start of each board) After about half an hour I got past board 133. No split screen. It took me about an hour to reach board 255 and voila. Split Screen. End of story :)

Isn't it amazing how much hype still surrounds this game after so many years? The ghosts have to be practically on top of each other to get all four on the last key level where they do change. Maybe someone has the video on file from when the first "perfect" game was achieved.

Yeah I guess the guys at Twin Galaxies have Billy Mitchells game on videotape. Quite honestly I've heard of perfect games being done before, but apparently Billy's was the first "officially recorded" game. The guys from Twin Galaxies post here every now and then.. maybe we could ask them :D

What are you talking about?? from the 9th key on, the ghosts do NOT turn blue at all. They simply reverse directions. So if you were to simultaneously eat a powerpill and ghost, you'd DIE. You won't collect 200pts :P The ghosts never ever turn blue. You can't eat them :roll:

:)

Since I can't prove you wrong without physically standing at a coin-op pac-man with default settings and actually doing it, there's no point in discussing this point further. As I stated earlier, I can't remember if this was doable on Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man.

:)

Since I can't prove you wrong without physically standing at a coin-op pac-man with default settings and actually doing it, there's no point in discussing this point further. As I stated earlier, I can't remember if this was doable on Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man.

Heh there's no need to prove anything. Look, sorry if I seemed a little harsh on that last post and it's really no big deal. We're just talking Pacman. :) But it's probably one of the most played, written about, documented arcade game ever. I mean, every little aspect of the game has been taken apart, and dissected over the past 20 years. The game's been dissasembled and the source code is readily available. Heck, there's even a rom hack that gets rid of the 255th split-screen bug. So the point is there are pretty much no mysteries to the game anymore.. heck, it's Pacman! :) So it's just a plain old simple fact that from the 9th key on, you can no longer eat ghosts. Anyone who's played the game for an amount of time knows this. And it's no mystery that it the screen splits on the 256 board and thus you cannot proceed from that point. That's pretty much the facts jack :)

The split screen is on the 255th board? Was that a miscount?

LOL yeah.. The count on my calculator when I got the split screen was 252.. so I obviously missed a couple of board counts getting up there (hey YOU try doing that for an hour and I'll bet you miss a couple too) :lol: Anyway, doing it MANUALLY was just for fun (woohoo. :| ).. of course you can always do the old value plugin to $4E13 and take it from there and that's obviously a ton easier.. But I'm now certain that's the only memory location that affects the stage number. You had me doubting it for a second there though... ;)