IGNORED

Do Japanese 32X units work on US Genesis systems?

Austin

I think both the American and Japanese 32X are essentially the same. The American 32X has the notch on the side for the Mega Drive's cartridge lock, so the Japanese 32X should be the same. The same goes for Sonic & Knuckles too, which has the notch in the side and is region-free to boot.

Edited by ApolloBoy

My understanding of the region "coding" for Megadrive/Genesis was solely in the shape and size of the cartridge slot. I know that any Japanese MD cart can be played on the US Genesis by using a Game Genie as an "adapter". All that the Game Genie does is allows me to plug my Japanese game carts into the US Genesis without physically modding the cart slot (i.e. cutting plastic away).

With this bit of knowledge, I would be inclined to say that a Japanese 32X ads-on should work fine with a US Genesis console, but you will have to whittle away some plastic from the cart slot first. Or maybe you could plug the 32X through a Game Genie, but I am guessing that it would not work that way.

My understanding of the region "coding" for Megadrive/Genesis was solely in the shape and size of the cartridge slot.

For most games released before 1993, that's true. However, most games released after that point are region-locked, meaning that they can't be played on a different region system. To get around that, you'll have to either have to mod your Genesis with region switches or use Game Genie codes to bypass the lockout.

EDIT: Just saw some pics of the Japanese 32X and the part that plugs into the Mega Drive is exactly the same as the American/European 32X. The Japanese 32X will work perfectly fine with a Genesis.

Edited by ApolloBoy

EDIT: Just saw some pics of the Japanese 32X and the part that plugs into the Mega Drive is exactly the same as the American/European 32X. The Japanese 32X will work perfectly fine with a Genesis.

That's what I was thinking.. I've been looking at some units on eBay but the photos aren't clear enough. It *looks* like the cart end of the Jap 32X does not have the side rounded/bubble-esque tabs like standard MD carts, but I cannot tell 100%.

I'm curious though if the region lock-out is done through the 32X itself, or is handled by the Genesis. If it's through the Genny, then theoretically I could use a Japanese 32X to play US 32X games on a US system. Has anyone tried that, or is able to verify it?

I'm curious though if the region lock-out is done through the 32X itself, or is handled by the Genesis. If it's through the Genny, then theoretically I could use a Japanese 32X to play US 32X games on a US system. Has anyone tried that, or is able to verify it?

It's done through the Genesis. Recently I tried my brother's 32X on my Japanese Mega Drive just to see what games would be affected. Almost all of the games I tried worked fine, the only game that didn't play on my Mega Drive was Virtua Racing Deluxe.

Edited by ApolloBoy
  • Like 1

It's done through the Genesis. Recently I tried my brother's 32X on my Japanese Mega Drive just to see what games would be affected. Almost all of the games I tried worked fine, the only game that didn't play on my Mega Drive was Virtua Racing Deluxe.

Awesome, that's great to know. :)

For collection purposes, I am thinking about investing in a Japanese Super 32X. Of course, I don't have a US system at the moment, so I would use it to play games on my US Genesis until I purchase one.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd make a quick bump here--I received my Japanese Super 32X last week and got around to testing it out the other day. It works perfectly on a US system, so no problems there. US games play fine through it, too, since like it was stated above, the region lockout is done through the Genesis. Not sure about Japanese titles through a US system though, we will have to see if they have lock-outs in them (I will find out later this week when one comes in the mail).