IGNORED

Star Raiders for the 360?!?!?

King_Salamon

"Since it was first released on the Atari 2600 way back in 1979..."

Sweet christ, what is it with these idiots?

Yeah, we Atari fanatics know that Star Raiders originated on the 8-bit computers, but the masses don't remember that like we do. The masses remember the Atari 2600 far better than the computers. So it's natural to push that Star Raiders was on the 2600.

It's not like tracking down the release history for Star Raiders is hard.

But no one with a real job and a real life has time to look anything up. Besides, 90 percent of the info on the Internet is wrong, so it's useless to do any research before writing an article. Life is short, you know. Just type some gibberish, get paid, then get laid. :D

There's advertising, and then there's a news source getting a statement of fact flat-out wrong. This is clearly the latter.

It's not like tracking down the release history for Star Raiders is hard.

That link makes it appear as if the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST were all 1979 and by the Atari Corporation. So, uncovering a real release history might entail giving a couple of geeks some free games to come to this site and start a thread. BUT POINT TAKEN. It's not hard. It's indicative of (1) how clueless Infogrames (er, I mean "Atari") is, and (2) how little effort they put into doing their jobs. I don't know if they're a stock-traded company, but if they are, someone should send the board a link to this thread.

Edited by wood_jl

(1) how clueless Infogrames (er, I mean "Atari") is

Atari 2600 the console everyone had a child or the Atari 400/800 a computer hardly anyone had.

Honestly (take a couple seconds to think about it) Which of these two do you suppose would stimulate more sales??

Infogrames clueless? Are you sure?

I'd have to guess that in spite of the complaining, even ZylonBane the greatest lover of Star Raiders there ever was, knows what's going on here and it ain't about teaching video game history to the masses.

Atari 2600 the console everyone had a child or the Atari 400/800 a computer hardly anyone had.

Honestly (take a couple seconds to think about it) Which of these two do you suppose would stimulate more sales??

Infogrames clueless? Are you sure?

Please pay attention. The statement that Star Raiders was first released for the Atari 2600 is coming from a journalistic source, not a marketing department.

Even then, the 2600 version of Star Raiders was pretty awful, so I can't imagine why they'd want to draw attention to it.

Please pay attention. The statement that Star Raiders was first released for the Atari 2600 is coming from a journalistic source, not a marketing department.

Ah that's true the Atari site doesn't mention a platform on the Star Raiders page at all!

Not sure why I'd assume a journalist would get his video game history facts right. They don't even get the facts right on something that happened yesterday. What does a journalist that reports on stories like Star Raiders Reboot make a year? 20-30k? I doubt they dig too deep if they aren't already a video game geek. :cool:

• Like 3

Not sure why I'd assume a journalist would get his video game history facts right. They don't even get the facts right on something that happened yesterday. What does a journalist that reports on stories like Star Raiders Reboot make a year? 20-30k? I doubt they dig too deep if they aren't already a video game geek. :cool:

+1

I tend to think most of our current videogame journalists are predominately NES kids or younger. It amazes me when they even realize there was anything before the NES.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Since there's a big hoopla and folks getting their hopes up, I don't mind reviving a 6 month old thread. But just to warn you, the new star raiders isn't worth my time to use correct capitalization when writing this. Unless you're a new modern-day twitch gamer that doesn't mind lack of depth and don't-a-wanna use your imagination..!

I watched a gameplay vid, and after doing so I determined it wasn't worth the time it would take to download this game and attempt the trial. I could have a more entertaining space fighter game by holding my X-Wing toy in front of my face and making "pwee, pwee" noises.

The video I watched made the game seem like a thoroghly generic mission oriented helicopter game set in space. Why they felt this game was something to slap the Star Raiders name onto, I have no idea. There's nothing Star Raidersish about it.

The gameplay video also set off my Gamer Sense. I have a strong feeling the game plays like crap. I have no interest in testing my hypothesis. I figure it's probably better for my blood pressure that I don't play the game anyway.

Seriously Atari, who the hell was this aimed at? Why did you drag this craptastic game out and slap the Star Raiders name on it? It can't be for the current gaming generation. The Star Raiders name has no meaning to anyone who wasn't a gamer in the early 80s and who is therefore at least 30 now. It certainly isn't aimed at me or anyone else who even cursorily played the original, other than to piss us off at how badly it was bungled. Why did you intentionally make and label this game in such a way so that it will have no audience whatsoever?

Any name would have sufficed for this game. You could have called it Super Space Thrustpack, and it probably would have generated just as much interest while simultaneously avoiding pre-conceptions because of the name Star Raiders.

Normally I'd ask if Sega was giving Atari lessons on how to fail, but this IS Atari, they have as much or more experience than Sega on how to shoot themselves in the face.

I did the trial and didn't care for the controls, mainly because when I pulled down I expected to go up. Don't know if that can be changed or not. I thought the trial moved too slow so I didn't really care if I play anymore and deleted it after one play. The game is only 800 points and just shy of 4 out of 5 stars in ratings on XBLA. They'll probably do fine with it.

I did the trial and didn't care for the controls, mainly because when I pulled down I expected to go up. Don't know if that can be changed or not. I thought the trial moved too slow so I didn't really care if I play anymore and deleted it after one play. The game is only 800 points and just shy of 4 out of 5 stars in ratings on XBLA. They'll probably do fine with it.

WAIT WAIT wait... a minute here now. You mean up on the controller is up in the game? That is contrary to a 100 years of aviation and spaceflight! Good god!

This game is an insult to the Star Raider's franchise! AND the original programmer.

Edited by Keatah

With the new star raiders --- think Macross with the Romulan mining ship from JJ Abrahms Star Trek... slap the name stars raiders on it and hope nobody realizes its got nothing to do with the original.

Problem with that is the audience this is aimed at was not even born when the real Star Raiders was in vogue. Hell, the audience was born just *THIS* century. It would seem us old-farts are stuck with 8bits while the newbies get the glory of 256bit pre-rendered FMV twitch shooters.

Thats all well and good... then use a different title, don't use an iconic title and slap it onto a game with no real connection to the original and just whore it out to try and get more sales and attention...

thats like coming out with a game called star wars that has no empire, no rebels, no droids and is about a couple jack offs flying around in a space ship shooting stuff and having no plot...

With the new star raiders --- think Macross with the Romulan mining ship from JJ Abrahms Star Trek... slap the name stars raiders on it and hope nobody realizes its got nothing to do with the original.

Problem with that is the audience this is aimed at was not even born when the real Star Raiders was in vogue. Hell, the audience was born just *THIS* century. It would seem us old-farts are stuck with 8bits while the newbies get the glory of 256bit pre-rendered FMV twitch shooters.