IGNORED

ATARI 2600 is back !

RetroGamingFan

Now it is official.

Arcade Retro Gaming decided to support the ATARI 2600 on their Multiple Classic Computer. :thumbsup:

This enables the MCC user to play classic ATARI, C64 and AMIGA games cycle exact.

No incorrect reaction time behavior as most software based emulation in PC and other modern gaming consoles show today.

This is as close as you can get to the original with newest innovative technology.

Please check out the following link:

www.ArcadeRetroGaming.com

The Retro Gaming Experts !

How do you like it ?

Couldn't find any 2600 info on their site. Even used their search feature. Nothing but promises on Amiga support too.

Would love it if Amiga and 2600 support are actually in place. Is their another link that states Atari 2600 is now supported?

@Rom Hunter: Apparently it has a Micro SD slot to add games. Note that I believe for now it's just C64 games.

Unlike the Minimig which is sold as an Amiga on a FPGA which theoretically can be reprogrammed into other machines the MMC people continue to elude to supporting MSX, Amiga, 2600, etc.. even though actual support isn't there out of the box. I don't like that kind of marketing.

Edited by theloon

The creator of this product told me at CGE that you could add new games using a MicroSD card. If that's the case I'm very intrigued by this project.

Still, I'm a novice when it comes to hardware and software emulation. Someone tell me why this product is better than something like a modded Xbox?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QFvLB7PZwE

53 emulators on one Xbox. All with Icon based browsing, save states, cheats, screen shots for browsing games, etc.

The creator of this product told me at CGE that you could add new games using a MicroSD card. If that's the case I'm very intrigued by this project.

Still, I'm a novice when it comes to hardware and software emulation. Someone tell me why this product is better than something like a modded Xbox?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QFvLB7PZwE

53 emulators on one Xbox. All with Icon based browsing, save states, cheats, screen shots for browsing games, etc.

The XBox can be bought, softmodded and emulators installed NOW. MMC can only do C64 NOW unless the OP posts a link that states otherwise. Oh, and used XBox's are dirt cheap too.

I really think the MMC people should consider selling this thing for what it is: A new, almost feature complete C64 system for games. I'd consider buying it for that - not promises to support Amiga, 2600, Double Rainbow Zombies, etc..

Edited by theloon

The info is very nebulous as to exactly what hardware is emulated, but it sure looks slick!!! A bit spendy for me, though. Morgan

The system is based on an Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA).

You can find more details about this technology here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

We use today an Altera device Cyclone 3 with 16k gates.

We developed the whole ATARI 2600 ASIC design according to the original chip specification.

This includes the main CPU 6507, the TIA chip set and 6532 I/O RAM Timer Array.

Essentially it is a 2600 re-implemented inside an FPGA.

The MCC supports up to 8 different classic computer.

It can be re-configured via software and the boot menu allows the start of different systems.

Today the system comes with the C64 and 100+ games.

We are working on the AMIGA and ATARI 2600 support right now.

You can see a live demonstration of the AMIGA and ATARI 2600 at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

Portlan Retro Gaming EXPO

Please come and see us. :)

It can be re-configured via software and the boot menu allows the start of different systems.

Today the system comes with the C64 and 100+ games.

You can see a live demonstration of the AMIGA and ATARI 2600 at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

Portland Retro Gaming Expo

Please come and see us. :)

I will see you there! Hey kids! Order your presale tickets to PRGE now, so you can get in and see this an hour early. Morgan

Fixed the link above

Edited by Chuck D. Head

I'm usually a sucker for this sort of thing (gadgets) but $219 is a bit pricey for me for what it does now. (just for C64 and Amiga.) Throw in 2600/5200/7800, MSX, and Spectrum and you've got my money.

The only cores available on their website are for C64.

http://mcc-home.com/3.html

Since the OP turns out to be from the company making these I wonder if he could tell us when Amiga and 2600 support will be available? At least a guess? Does Dirk Dudenbostel do all the FPGA programming?

Edited by theloon

Couldn't find any 2600 info on their site. Even used their search feature. Nothing but promises on Amiga support too.

Would love it if Amiga and 2600 support are actually in place. Is their another link that states Atari 2600 is now supported?

@Rom Hunter: Apparently it has a Micro SD slot to add games. Note that I believe for now it's just C64 games.

Unlike the Minimig which is sold as an Amiga on a FPGA which theoretically can be reprogrammed into other machines the MMC people continue to elude to supporting MSX, Amiga, 2600, etc.. even though actual support isn't there out of the box. I don't like that kind of marketing.

I was at CGE and saw the Amiga kernel running on the MCC-216. It is real and they told me to expect to see the upgrade for the machine in the fall of this year. There has been talk about the 2600 kernel for a while. I am glad to see them do it. It is supposed to come Spring 2011.

As for adding games, this can be done. Basically you edit an XML file and load the cart ROM via the micro SD card. It's very easy and I have added quite a few games to mine.

The only complaints I have with mine is that there are a few compatibility issues with some games, but not enough to be a problem and often they can be fixed by using a different disk image of the same game. Another is that it ships with the PAL core on it by default, meaning you have to go to the site and download the NTSC one. Otherwise, it runs black and white because of the scan differences. The last is that you can't write to the images or save snapshots. These really are minor things though and not needed to run most games. To be honest, I love mine. It takes up a lot less space than a C-64, lets me use real sticks and I don't have to worry about wrecking disks. Not only that, you get the potential of other system cores coming out. For $219, I think the price is reasonable.

Edited by Cliff Friedel

I am not sure, but maybe someone is underestimating the costs of emulating the TIA. Would be the 1st time.

I hope they didn't leave anything out like was done with the FB2. It's not just the TIA, it's important that all illegal opcodes are properly supported in the 6502 core. If TIA and 6502 emulation are not exact, many games are not going to work properly.

... even back in the day, Atari had trouble with certain chip revisions leading to some consoles not being able to run certain games properly. It's also somewhat known that the outcome of certain "race" conditions are not defined in the chip specs, so this FPGA implementation will have to be thoroughly tested for game compatibility.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I'd be really interested in buying one if it's fully compatible with the real thing.

Other than a perfect TIA/6502/RIOT emulation it should have these features:

- bidirectional controller ports and analog lines to support all the original controllers (paddles, driving controllers, keypads, etc.)

- ability to select PAL or NTSC console emulation (SECAM and PAL-M would be nice too)

- an optional cartridge port support would be great. In that case it should have all the required signals and the correct timings to allow carts with bankswitch logic and/or extra ram to work properly.

This may be a dumb question - but how does it handle the switches?

:?

I assume that you would have to have a keyboard plugged in, and that different keys would be mapped to fake being switches?

I actually like the idea, though...

Edited by ls650

The last is that you can't write to the images or save snapshots.

That's a big deal to me. Sounds like games that save your game like Ultima may not work. Also, I'm spoiled by flash carts that let you just put the ROM on the media and play. Editing XML files is not my idea of fun.

I give these guys props for using C64Forever. Hopefully this means you can program in BASIC using the real licensed C64 ROM, right?

I'd be really interested in buying one if it's fully compatible with the real thing.

Other than a perfect TIA/6502/RIOT emulation it should have these features:

- bidirectional controller ports and analog lines to support all the original controllers (paddles, driving controllers, keypads, etc.)

- ability to select PAL or NTSC console emulation (SECAM and PAL-M would be nice too)

- an optional cartridge port support would be great. In that case it should have all the required signals and the correct timings to allow carts with bankswitch logic and/or extra ram to work properly.

We will support the original DB-9 interface and the MCC has two ports.

The ports support today digital signals only.

The current Commodore C64 implementation supports PAL and NTSC.

You simply switch between PAL and NTSC with some button combination.

Fully implemented in software no different hardware is needed.

For the cartridges we are discussing a couple of options.

One would be to support the RETRODE USB cartridge reader.

HAPPY RETROGAMING :cool:

The last is that you can't write to the images or save snapshots.

That's a big deal to me. Sounds like games that save your game like Ultima may not work. Also, I'm spoiled by flash carts that let you just put the ROM on the media and play. Editing XML files is not my idea of fun.

I give these guys props for using C64Forever. Hopefully this means you can program in BASIC using the real licensed C64 ROM, right?

If you use the C64Forever Software on your PC and import the new content the software will generate automatically the XML file and stores the application, games and demos on the SD-card. With this method you don't need to edit some files.

The systems supports BASIC and we currently implementing a User screen where you can start the C64 in Basic mode and add you favorite applications.