IGNORED

Xbox Live gold cost going up.

cimerians

I was tempted to cancel my gold account anyway since I can watch Netflix on Wii, and I don't do much live gaming on my 360 anymore. Raising the price by ten bucks all but guarantees I'm canceling it. Perhaps I'll put that $60 towards a PS3 or something.

Yeah I actually snagged 3 years worth when they were on clearance for $24 for a year at K-mart. You had to dig in their crazy videogame section but there they were. Even though they expired in a month, once they're in, they're in.

So yeah I'd imagine they'd go on sale every now and then as always. Anyway even at that new price it's still about $5/month or about .16 cents a day. Very reasonable. And if found on sale (I'd imagine $35 sales would be common) it'd be even more reasonable. :P

I thought they were always $60 a year. The other prices were for the 3 month, and 6 month subscriptions. I'll have to go to walmart and see, but I think that is the case, at least in our area.

It still comes to less than 20 cents a day, if I gave a crap about online, I doubt I'd complain.

Honestly, everybody's online prices are going up. so this shouldn't really be a surprise.

Edited by Video

So let me get this straight:

-Microsoft is increasing their subscription price points for Xbox Live, further elevating the cost of a service that all other platforms offer for free.

-Publishers are taking steps to force gamers to buy games new in order to play online.

-No matter how much corporate man-meat I can swallow, somebody's going to pull the plug on the damn servers eventually anyway.

After pondering all of that with a heavy heart, I realized that I was at a crossroads. I was depressed, my grades were slipping in University, my relationship was on the rocks - life just didn't have the same spark it once did, knowing that I couldn't justify dumping more money into my online gaming. I quietly pondered what would happen if everything... simply came to an end.

But just when I had hit rock bottom, I was stricken with a revelation, and holy shit guys, this one is going to blow your minds. I've made a discovery and it's a big one.

Okay, so you know how most consoles have a controller port somewhere on the front right? Well, a lot of them have extras after the first one, right? I never really figured out what they were for - backups in case the first one broke? Well, you're never going to believe this, but it turns out that two people can play together at the same time! Seriously - a couple of friends and I discovered the other day that in many games you can ACTUALLY COMPETE AGAINST ONE ANOTHER SIMULTANEOUSLY - instant, live, short-range multiplayer gaming. In some games you can even COOPERATE. You don't even need two TVs! The connection is lightning-fast, you never get booted, and - you're going to shit a brick on this one - all games support live voice-chat: ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE ATARI FRICKIN' 2600. I didn't even know that was freaking possible. Seriously, there is, like, ZERO frickin' lag. Holy shit. I can't wait to try Halo with my actual real-life friends that I can reach over and punch in the head when they get a cheap snipe on me.

But wait - here's the best part. It doesn't cost a SINGLE GODDAMN CENT. I am not kidding. the whole time, from boot-up to power-down, there was not a single on-screen popup asking for my credit card number. ALL of the games worked, NONE of them were locked into a demo mode. It's a STEAL.

Seriously guys, THIS FRICKING WORKS. I have tried it on EVERY SYSTEM I own, and I have had ZERO problems with all of them, except for my TurboGrafx-16 which I haven't tried yet. Also my Atari 5200 doesn't seem to work that well in two-player mode, come to think of it, it doesn't really work in one-player mode either. But I digress.

The money I'll save with my GODDAMN INCREDIBLE DISCOVERY will go towards a case of beer, extra controllers, a SNES multitap, and... uhh, Secret of Mana. Yeah. I wanna be the sprite. You can all thank me later.

Edited by MagitekAngel
  • Like 1

-Microsoft is increasing their subscription price points for Xbox Live, further elevating the cost of a service that all other platforms offer for free.

-Publishers are taking steps to force gamers to buy games new in order to play online.

-No matter how much corporate man-meat I can swallow, somebody's going to pull the plug on the damn servers eventually anyway.

After pondering all of that with a heavy heart, I realized that I was at a crossroads. I was depressed, my grades were slipping in University, my relationship was on the rocks - life just didn't have the same spark it once did, knowing that I couldn't justify dumping more money into my online gaming. I quietly pondered what would happen if everything... simply came to an end.

But just when I had hit rock bottom, I was stricken with a revelation, and holy shit guys, this one is going to blow your minds. I've made a discovery and it's a big one.

Okay, so you know how most consoles have a controller port somewhere on the front right? Well, a lot of them have extras after the first one, right? I never really figured out what they were for - backups in case the first one broke? Well, you're never going to believe this, but it turns out that two people can play together at the same time! Seriously - a couple of friends and I discovered the other day that in many games you can ACTUALLY COMPETE AGAINST ONE ANOTHER SIMULTANEOUSLY - instant, live, short-range multiplayer gaming. In some games you can even COOPERATE. You don't even need two TVs! The connection is lightning-fast, you never get booted, and - you're going to shit a brick on this one - all games support live voice-chat: ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE ATARI FRICKIN' 2600. I didn't even know that was freaking possible. Seriously, there is, like, ZERO frickin' lag. Holy shit. I can't wait to try Halo with my actual real-life friends that I can reach over and punch in the head when they get a cheap snipe on me.

Seriously guys, THIS FRICKING WORKS. I have tried it on EVERY SYSTEM I own, and I have had ZERO problems with all of them, except for my TurboGrafx-16 which I haven't tried yet. Also my Atari 5200 doesn't seem to work that well in two-player mode, come to think of it, it doesn't really work in one-player mode either. But I digress.

The money I'll save with my GODDAMN INCREDIBLE DISCOVERY will go towards a case of beer, extra controllers, a SNES multitap, and... uhh, Secret of Mana. Yeah. I wanna be the sprite. You can all thank me later.

Lol. Personally I gave up on online gaming ages ago. It's basically all the same s**t over and over again, either pass a ball or shoot a dude, that's the extent of the online console experience. I'm perfectly happy with solo games.

Hey, just what Microsoft needs! More money! And they can't even offer the public a fucking system that works properly and you don't have to replace every year. Great.

Still, I do a fair bit of gaming with my friends, mostly Street Fighter and L4D, so sadly, my Live membership must continue.

http://blogs.forbes.com/velocity/2010/06/17/microsofts-xbox-live-is-making-boatloads-on-virtual-goods/

:lol: ...I have an s-video modded Atari (along with a modded 5200 and CV) sitting in the living room hooked up. Played Circus Atari last night. :P

Somehow someway someone figured out how to charge people to play video games every month as well as rake in advertising money and not only that, sell things that don't exist.

Thats why you can either play system link if you have more then one console and more then one copy of the game (that is one reason it has ethernet), or you can fall back on xlink kai or xbox connect for online play (only available if the game has system link play).

or do it old school via split screen.

but needless to say there is always a way around.

I do not play much online anymore (with PSN nor live) because of the same want to be know it all butt holes that always brag and talk crap and do not know how to have fun, and if you beat them they get all butt hurt about it. and the little kids that play online that has a mouth that could make a sailor blush, plus most of them are very annoying.

one thing i like about xlink kai and xbox connect is that most kids do not know how to configure it to work nor can buy the proper hardware to make it work so you see allot more adults then kids (not saying there isn't any kids, but there is allot less of them).

Edited by madmax2069

I use my 360 a lot. Daily as a matter of fact. Since I don't have a smart phone with a monthly data plan (I have to pay $20 extra a month if I get that phone?) and I don't spend $50-$100 a month on cable (Seriously? $50+ a month to watch TV?) I'm fine with this less than $1 a month increase to get the most out of a system I use that often.

Still...I wonder how many people screaming holy hell over this do in fact own a data plan smart phone (I can log into Facebook wherever I go!!) and pay to watch TV (210 channels and nothing on) and don't think twice about it. :cool:

I say pay for what makes you happy.

I told my son during the MS E3 presentation and the announcement of ESPN that a price increase for Live would follow very soon. When he asked me why, I told him that there is no way that ESPN is going to charge customers for GameDay on cable and allow XboxLive users to get these same games for free. Somehow the cost for this feature had to be picked up by someone and guess who that someone is going to be??

If you use the services that Live provides, whether its Netflix or Facebook or Last. FM or ESPN or online gaming or whatever, and enjoy those services then $10 a year (less than a dollar per month) isn't a terrible, dreadful increase in and of itself.

But these companies have to realize that gaming is becoming a very costly hobby when you think of the cost of consoles, games, accessories, DLC's, online fee's, add-on's, and more. My wallet isn't bottomless and I've had to make big changes in my gaming purchases during the past year and have cut back on spending (or the way I spend) dramatically. Each and every fee that is asked of me must also fit into my spending situation.

Price increases to the customer will always happen, no matter the product or service. It's entirely up to the customer do decide how much they are willing (or able) to pay for a product or service and then go about with their life.

Mendon

To be fair they're offering new content with the price increase:

And we aren't even close to being done. This holiday, Xbox LIVE is adding new Gold features, including ESPN and Video Kinect, with Hulu Plus coming on Xbox LIVE in 2011.

• With ESPN on Xbox LIVE, you can stream and watch over 3,500 live and on-demand sporting events plus highlights.*

• Video Kinect allows you to chat with family and friends on the big screen, right from the comfort of your living room—no headset or controller required.*

• With Hulu Plus on Xbox LIVE you will be able to enjoy a customized Hulu Plus experience that will include Kinect navigation and Xbox LIVE Parties*

I'm thinking the stupid video chat only works if both people have Kinect though so it's pointless. I wonder if Sony will start offering ESPN and Hulu Plus for free or if they'll offer those but only with their new pay service?

They're also letting current Live users do a one time renewal for $40 right now to drive up short term revenue.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pricelock/default.htm

I'm personally interested in ESPN3. Hopefully I'll be able to stream college basketball games that aren't on in my area. It would be nice to do it without resorting to justin.tv

Ah, they added a few things that may have cost them something so they forward the cost to us.

Micro$oft are masters of subscriptions and licensing and are the smartest at making it hard for others to compete with them. I'm working on getting Windows 7 volume licensing (maks or KMS) right now for the company I work for. It's not cheap (for small businesses that are hurting).

I wasn't using Gold at all so I'm totally happy with Silver. Honestly though if there was a reason for me to get Gold again I would but I would definitely look for deals, never pay them the full $60. Amazon is a nice friend to have.

I have had a full subscription to Xbox Live since I picked up my pre-order on launch day in 2002. This is the first time the price has budged. If they don't change it for another 8 - 10 years I think I can live with the slight increase especially when I consider that I will most likely end up finding a discount before renewal time. When I first saw the news on xbox-scene I was worried but then I saw that the increase is pretty modest considering how long the service has been running without any adjustment. I can live with it. Also, to say that every other system has the equivalent of Xbox Live for free is a joke. The services simply don't compare. That goes especially for the online services you get on the Wii which is damn near worthless.

But wait - here's the best part. It doesn't cost a SINGLE GODDAMN CENT. I am not kidding. the whole time, from boot-up to power-down, there was not a single on-screen popup asking for my credit card number. ALL of the games worked, NONE of them were locked into a demo mode. It's a STEAL.

You forgot to include the price of your foreign friends plane ticket... but I agree. Nothing says fun like a few friends over for some multiplayer.

It's $60 a year.

I've been pricing cable lately. For a decent plan, it's at least $60....a month.

I honestly can't see any person that enjoys online gaming bitching.

Again, buy into whatever makes you happy and save the bitching for your mama. (She's the only one that cares)

You know, even if you're paying $10 a month for Live, that's still less expensive than going to see a (likely crappy) movie. That's not so bad in comparison.

That said, my XBOX Live charges will actually be going down. Switching to the new Family Plan in November is going to save a nice chunk of change.