IGNORED

New Atari PC Computer?

Curt Vendel

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which case would you want a modern PC to be made into?

• Atari 800XL
    • Atari 65/130XE Case
    • Atari ST (520/1040 style) case

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

To getting interest from the buying public, i suggest a different manufacturing process

Now, whilst the process i am suggesting/proposing isn't as well known in the US, it is very popular in both UK/Europe and in Asia

The process being fairtrade, which also incorporates/encompasses the manufacture and supply of end user product

I am sure that you can use the fair trade method of manufacturing not just for the keyboard/case and connectors etc but possibly even the pcb and components could be manufactured using the fairtrade manufacturing concept/process

Whilst the end product might have a slightly higher base price, compared to more traditional manufacturing processes, at least you are giving something back to the concept of fair trade which also ties in nicely with the concept of ressurecting designs/concepts from old school or classic systems

Just a thought, thats all

I am curious how "fair trade" would apply to computer manufacturing. As I understand it, "fair trade" has been applied to commodities and handicrafts. It's an honorable idea to pay people in developing countries higher prices for their crops, handmade brooms, baskets, and soap, but I don't understand how this would apply to modern technology products.

Basketweaving doesn't require a clean room, or even a roof. Last time I checked, logic boards are not created with lye and animal fat.

Last time I checked, logic boards are not created with lye and animal fat.

Don't you remember when Spock was endeavoring to create a mnemonic memory circuit using "stone knives and bear skins"? Well, there is bound to be some bear fat on the bottom side of a bear skin. Anyway, I ass-u-me what the poster was trying to say is that he regards Curt's potential product as a small, cottage industry, niche item that wont appeal to mass market and couldn't break even otherwise. I am not sure about the viability of this project (that we don't even know the details of), but I am betting that whoever would fund such a project isn't doing so to lose money. Morgan

• Like 1

Last time I checked, logic boards are not created with lye and animal fat.

Don't you remember when Spock was endeavoring to create a mnemonic memory circuit using "stone knives and bear skins"?

Yeah, but he probably didn't need to make ALL 128 bytes! (BTW, Which episode was that? Was it the one where McCoy get Elizabeth Taylor?

I vote ST for the cursor keys, numeric keypad, F-keys, etc....etc.... Plus, I'm a fan of the XE/ST styling.

However, if the thing could be layed out like the ST and redressed in XL styling, it would be fantastic and still harbor XL-style retro feeling. Hell, it could even be beige like the 400/800. But I don't see how it can be anything more than a toy without ST-style (or PC-style) keyboard.

Well, I'm not sure I would buy a modern PC in a retro case, but if I were inclined to do so...

Go for the 400, leave the keyboard, and provide inputs for external keyboard and mouse. It would look really cool.

If that's not ok, then do the ST, because that keyboard layout has a shot at working.

In either case, provide graphics drivers for a nice screen via S-video out, just so full screen emulation can happen right there on the TV.

Edit: I really like the ST / XL styling idea.

Edited by potatohead
  • Like 1

To getting interest from the buying public, i suggest a different manufacturing process

Now, whilst the process i am suggesting/proposing isn't as well known in the US, it is very popular in both UK/Europe and in Asia

The process being fairtrade, which also incorporates/encompasses the manufacture and supply of end user product

I am sure that you can use the fair trade method of manufacturing not just for the keyboard/case and connectors etc but possibly even the pcb and components could be manufactured using the fairtrade manufacturing concept/process

Whilst the end product might have a slightly higher base price, compared to more traditional manufacturing processes, at least you are giving something back to the concept of fair trade which also ties in nicely with the concept of ressurecting designs/concepts from old school or classic systems

I am curious how "fair trade" would apply to computer manufacturing. As I understand it, "fair trade" has been applied to commodities and handicrafts. It's an honorable idea to pay people in developing countries higher prices for their crops, handmade brooms, baskets, and soap, but I don't understand how this would apply to modern technology products.

Basketweaving doesn't require a clean room, or even a roof. Last time I checked, logic boards are not created with lye and animal fat.

You've obviously not looked into the UK/European fairtrade market, which has expanded the product range to paper product and consumer electronics (including televisions/radio's etc etc)

Well, after examining physical dimensions and heights, it may be a VERY tight squeeze to get a PC board into the 800XL case, of course going with the 1200/1400 case would be much easier, the cartridge port could be replaced with a DVD/CDROM and the function keys could be expanded for a full F1-12.

Another idea is an XL styled desktop type box with an XL styled PC keyboard... something along these lines...

post-23-128337136561_thumb.jpg

Curt

You've obviously not looked into the UK/European fairtrade market, which has expanded the product range to paper product and consumer electronics (including televisions/radio's etc etc)

OK, thanks for giving me a better idea of where to look. Problem is, I looked for 15 minutes and still couldn't find any examples of consumer electronics. Maybe EFTA needs to redo their website to show those high tech fair trade products as examples? Since you already know what you think I'm supposed to know, could you please be helpful and give links to specific examples?

so kind of a prettied up thin client then. Okay, I'll say it's cute.

for some reason I had pictured an expensive, noisy gaming PC crammed into an atari case for the emulation. But something priced more like a like those thin clients is a bit more tempting.

some kind of wii-like online service to go with it?

Edited by Reaperman

I sort of think of it as a sneaksy way to get a new case tooled, whether through use as a shell for a modern PC, inspired by the classic machine, or as design-inspired case for an eventual Atari compatable using more modern hard-ware. (Remember what Curt has access to.) To the companies manufacturing these products, the money put forth to produce all of these various "flavors" to appeal to a broad consumer audience, probably is a fairly minor part of their entire production, so they might be willing to absorb much of the cost. I'm no expert on such things, though, so assume I'm talking out of my not-so-smart bottom. :) Assuming Curt gets to maintain hold of these case designs afterwards, then hey... ;)

An 800XL might fit something like an OEM Asus keyboard computer design, if you extend it out by including a keypad section as well. The net-top design above looks kind of cute, though. :)

Okay, so what if its a mini-itx factor unit with DVD/CD tray in front, with XL styling and XL keyboard styling... instead of a Windows logo, it would be an Atari Fuji logo...

F1, 2 and 3 would have larger font START, SELECT, OPTION with very small subscript F1, F2, F3 on them

I was thinking of the Atari MicroBox, but that was a unused design, most people don't know it except that the PS2 was made to look like it and people would not recognize it as an Atari product, but would think it was a PS2 with an Atari name/logo on it and that loses the whole point and look & feel...

I sort of think of it as a sneaksy way to get a new case tooled, whether through use as a shell for a modern PC, inspired by the classic machine, or as design-inspired case for an eventual Atari compatable using more modern hard-ware. (Remember what Curt has access to.) To the companies manufacturing these products, the money put forth to produce all of these various "flavors" to appeal to a broad consumer audience, probably is a fairly minor part of their entire production, so they might be willing to absorb much of the cost. I'm no expert on such things, though, so assume I'm talking out of my not-so-smart bottom. :) Assuming Curt gets to maintain hold of these case designs afterwards, then hey... ;)

An 800XL might fit something like an OEM Asus keyboard computer design, if you extend it out by including a keypad section as well. The net-top design above looks kind of cute, though. :)

I think it should be in a 1450XL case or a 1090XL case.

Allan

Okay, so what if its a mini-itx factor unit with DVD/CD tray in front, with XL styling and XL keyboard styling... instead of a Windows logo, it would be an Atari Fuji logo...

F1, 2 and 3 would have larger font START, SELECT, OPTION with very small subscript F1, F2, F3 on them

I was thinking of the Atari MicroBox, but that was a unused design, most people don't know it except that the PS2 was made to look like it and people would not recognize it as an Atari product, but would think it was a PS2 with an Atari name/logo on it and that loses the whole point and look & feel...

I agree, that design while a good one is already used by a known Company and overused by about a hundred clone companies. An ST will easily house a Micro-ITX, and I love the slightly raised keyboard as well as the F keys.

Curt, never knew about the original design, of course Atari made it :)

Animan, that looks SWEET!! Do you own that or is it just the picture? I've never even seen that thing, prototype or not.

Nathan

No, but I would sell my vital organs to get one. It was a prototype, but canceled alongside the XE with the AMY chip and all that.

We always got that C64 portable...?

Anyway, the idea of an Atari style thin client is pretty cool, but I remember at school they used to have thin clients at the library, and they were UNUSABLE. It was impossible to do almost anything. You'd be lucky if you actually get work done on it.

Luckily, they were replaced with Core 2 Duo machines (most of them, anyway).

Edited by Animan

This might be too much like the MicroBox, but I've always liked the compact design of the DEC Multia (I own a few of them), which works either as a tower or as a "pizza-box" desktop:

multia_1.jpg

multia_3.jpgmultia_2.jpg

(The door in the front hides the floppy drive).

If you were to take a design like this, updated and shrunken a little bit and styled after the 1450XLD, you could use the front floppy drive bezel in the 1450XLD as the model for the face of the "pizza box":

1450.jpg

This would give you a "retro" design that would also allow you to use standard FlexATX or Mini-ITX motherboards; it would look just like the upper portion of the 1450XLD (highlighted in the picture), without the keyboard attached. For the full effect, you could bundle it with a chocolate-brown USB keyboard with aluminum highlights.

One other idea that occurs to me: if it wouldn't be too expensive, you might consider including a Stelladaptor-like interface, connected to one of the internal USB headers on the motherboard, with the DB9 joystick ports mounted right in the front of the case. That would allow people to plug a set of Flashback 2 joysticks directly into the computer, which would be more "authentic" than USB.

Well it depends on

a. Which ST...STFM is plain ugly compared to ST/STM machines. Mega ST (not Mega STE) is also very nice.

b. What emulated games I am playing.

If I was to choose an 8bit Atari it would have to be the 400 because it looks great, maybe a nice tablet PC type screen could be used for the keyboard (price bracket not mentioned). If it was to be used mainly to play ST games on then a white copy of the original off grey 520ST/520STM. Perhaps with more token blue markings here and there.

Too much, too big.

I think it should be in a 1450XL case or a 1090XL case.

Allan

The 800 is my favorite, but I think the XL styling for a net-top/ITX system and associated peripherals would certainly work better.

If it is PC based hardware I would highly suggest doing the following:

1. Utilize Coreboot (formerly LinuxBIOS) instead of a standard PC BIOS with Fuji logo slapped on it.

2. Instant boot into an Atari stylized GUI offering Atari hardware Emulation (Altirra for example), virtualization, and browser environment.

3. Implement various Atari specific I/O via USB. For example two built-in Stella adapters with a motherboard USB connection, SIO2USB, etc... Perhaps hang a hang a quad Pokey off a USB port to improve the emulation speed and quality.

By doing the above the machine would be capable of having an instant startup and go directly into running vintage Atari 8/16 bit software and even utilizing peripherals. Windows and Linux would not be required, but by including a virtual environment, full desktop operating systems could be run simultaneously. For example you could turn it on and just use it as a modern Atari 8/16 bit environment instantly out of the box. From the GUI you can launch a browser, start or resume a Virtual Machine running Windows/Linux/Hackintosh/BeOS/NeXTstep/UAE... etc. etc. Other Splashtop/Instant boot environments on PC hardware do similar things now, this would just be geared to the Atari computer hobbyist. Keep the whole thing small and simple. Make an external 1050 styled USB/e-sata enclosure for mounting a standard DVD drive or other 5 1/4" devices.

Alternatively, I love the idea of a 1450XLD styled case that would fit an ITX or even better, a Micro-ATX motherboard with PCI-E slots being accessible.

I agree, that design while a good one is already used by a known Company and overused by about a hundred clone companies. An ST will easily house a Micro-ITX, and I love the slightly raised keyboard as well as the F keys.

Curt, never knew about the original design, of course Atari made it :)

Le me clarify a bit, I had been up all night long when I posted that. Now I am well rested and better.

The 1040STFM would make a great looking housing, I am not a fan of the thin client design; not enough room for the good stuff.

The case shape of the STFM is wide for the keyboard, deep to have plenty of space, and the raised keyboard could accommodate a cd-rom of the slim variety underneath it. Behind the keyboard and drive(s) could be the mainboard, power supply and maybe a riser card for video (unless integrated, then single-board).

Not being a prat or anything, just tossing out ideas. Also wanted to clarify, my original post was a bit undefined.