IGNORED

Sonys Linux Removal Backfires: Homebrew Jailbreak Real

Gemintronic

You can run unsigned code today with a little code and a USB microcontroller:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/ps3-homebrew-jailbreak-released-into-the-wilds/

Forget the Streisand effect. This is now the Sony Effect.

Take away features from a customers bought-and-paid for console and they have an excuse to add it back. Now that Apple lost their Jailbreaking case things like this will happen more often.

Can't wait until I can run emulators on my PS3 again.

That's a different gadget. Sony squashed that one lawsuit style. That was a comercial effort to sell a dongle that would allow "backups" and piracy.

This is an open effort to allow homebrew to run using commodity parts. See my link in the first post.

This is a quote from PSGroovys notes:

This software is not intended to enable piracy, and such features have been disabled. This software is intended to allow the execution of unsigned third-party apps and games on the PS3.
Edited by theloon

This sound more like a workaround for the lawsuit than anything else:

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes people to enable the "backup" portion of the PSGroovy.

That was done less than 24 hours after PSGroovy was released.

From what I've heard it wasn't exactly rocket science to enable.

Sad thing about homebrew is that piracy always seems to follow. I for one like the idea of being able to run the stuff off a hard drive. I already do it for the Wii and if it was not such a pain to Jtag a 360 I'd do that too. Especially considering how quickly my son goes thru his dvd's.

Anywho I think Sony realy killed themselves by disabling other OS. Big mistake..

They're looking at the mini-usb port on the controller as an option too-

The info we have elotrolado.net Site (Spanish site), they are currently working on a possible portage on the joystick psgroove sixaxis/dualshock3. What is interesting because every ps3 owner are equipped.According to them, in theorythe PS3 controller is considered as a possible setup but unconfirmed PSGroove. SIXAXIS control features EEPROM that allows its programming.The name of the Micro is the following:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.logic-sunrise.com%2Fnews-132352-psgroove-emule-avec-une-manette-playstation-3-sixaxis.html

Had they left linux alone people would probably still be plugging away at it unsuccessfully, instead theres the cracks like this now. How the frig can a console survive when you can hack it through the controller?

Edited by xg4bx

then theres this rumor that sony will lock the firmware to the retail hdd, in essence taking away the ability to upgrade your hard drive.

Rumor: Sony to combat PSJailbreak by removing dev and debug modes on new PS3's

Moreover, it is expected that the new 320GB PS3's will have firmware loaded onto the HDD and encrypted in a way that will not allow you to copy games to a new HDD as it will be locked to the retail HDD.

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?42072-Rumor-Sony-to-combat-PSJailbreak-by-removing-dev-and-debug-modes-on-new-PS3-s

then theres this rumor that sony will lock the firmware to the retail hdd, in essence taking away the ability to upgrade your hard drive.

Moreover, it is expected that the new 320GB PS3's will have firmware loaded onto the HDD and encrypted in a way that will not allow you to copy games to a new HDD as it will be locked to the retail HDD.

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?42072-Rumor-Sony-to-combat-PSJailbreak-by-removing-dev-and-debug-modes-on-new-PS3-s

It's really a shame that console manufacturers do this. I can understand wanting to combat piracy and wanting to sell their own add-ons, but when it wipes out extended warranties or keeps service techs from easily repairing the systems, that, to me, just goes too far. Also, what kind of brand loyalty do you build when you are actively fighting your customers instead of embracing them. They could really turn this into a positive thing if they handled this right. Instead, they just go to the draconian measures of locking everything down.

• Like 1

It's really a shame that console manufacturers do this. I can understand wanting to combat piracy and wanting to sell their own add-ons, but when it wipes out extended warranties or keeps service techs from easily repairing the systems, that, to me, just goes too far. Also, what kind of brand loyalty do you build when you are actively fighting your customers instead of embracing them. They could really turn this into a positive thing if they handled this right. Instead, they just go to the draconian measures of locking everything down.

I hate to be so blunt but the value of owning a ps3 slips day by day. I've never seen a company so dead set on removing features. The current model is a total shadow of it's former self. It started with the backwards compatibility, then the sd card readers, then usb slots, then linux, now possibly swapable hard drives. It may seem cliche to say but what next, removal of blu-ray movie playback? Piracy is pretty common on the wii and 360 but they're just rolling with it and the games sell just fine.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Whell I am afriad of using a jail break cause it might be wrong version or virus or just not the otheros.bld anyway I know you are going to say whimp but i dont want to ruin the ps3 I got it free I got two of them from relitive and one came up w red screen and is on version 3.50 witch is lame anyway and the blue ray in the other one didnt work so i stole the power supply and the working DVD blue ray player from the other one and have one new looking version 2.76 working ps3

I updated the photo thing and it worked w out having to update whole ps3 .

also I GOT LINUX to load I USED PETEBOOT the otherversion he made and used linux power pc ps3 version 9.10 and it I USED THE OEM INSTALL OPTION ON LINUX

that made it work with the pitete boot thing... I didn not use the graphical pitete boot I used this version

http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/petitboot/downloads/bin-0.2/otheros-petitboot+network.bld

i renamed it to otheros.bld and made a PS3/otheros dir and put it in there and burned a cdrom I didnt even close the cdrom it worked petitboot loaded and then i put the linux 9.10 ps3 boot disk in and used pitete boot to choose it after rebooting and then choose oem install (for manafactures only) who cares it loaded..

and now it works i can play 2600 emulation and play castles of camelot on facebook.

I didnt get flash to work cause i dont think they have a version for ps3 power pc yet..

I was going to jailbreak the other ps3 but it still comes up w red screen ...

I did replace the thermal paste before i powered either machine up.

its kind of cool to use linux on a ps3 I think sony is stupid for removing linux cause you know full well its just going to make people want to hack it more now..

also i read on a google search there is some kind of v ram used for encrypting the harddrive and jailbreak already cracked it wow they could crack a government laptop drive encryption if they wanted the same way so DUMB SONY should have just changed the server where the thing logs onto and used a passsword logon instead but they are lame