IGNORED

This crap has got to stop!

Mendon

I know I've ranted before on this subject, but I have to rant once more.

A little background before my rant.....

I suck at FPS and make no excuses about it. But for whatever reason, I decided to try out MAG and found that not only did I really enjoy the game but that I could also be an asset to my team. I became a Medic/Repair class character and while my K/D ration was low, I was able to help my team by healing, res'ing, making repairs to equipment, and more. While I died frequently and didn't get a whole ton of kills, I learned HOW to play the role of Medic/Repair and became a good team player with plenty of invites into "clans".

One thing that I and a lot of other MAG players wanted to see added to the game was the ability to have more than one character. As it stood, when you started out in MAG, you picked a faction, character, and class and then played. If you decided to change your faction, for whatever reason, you had to delete your current character and start a new one over from Lvl 1. Or you had to go thru the hassle of creating new user accounts for the characters you wanted.

Now my rant.....

When I logged onto PSN to look at this weeks update of offerings, I was surprised to see that Zipper (and/or Sony) had listened to the players and decided to add additional character slots to the game. I thought it strange that this feature hadn't been done within a patch to the game rather than a download, but what the heck. Then before clicking on download, I read the fine print: each additional character slot would cost the player $0.99 PER MONTH!! A MONTHLY FEE???? FOR MAG???? WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!

I might be able to accept a one time 99cent cost for additional characters to my MAG game, but a monthly fee is a cost that I refuse to accept. And I don't believe for a second that it will stop with MAG..... the day that gamers pay a fee to play Call of Duty or Gran Turismo or Resident Evil or Killzone or whatever game you care to name, is not that far away.

I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of my PS3. Uncharted 1 & 2, Valkyria Chronicles, PixelJunk Shooter, PixelJunk Monsters, Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Resistance I & II, Little Big Planet, God of War III, and MAG are some of the BEST games I've ever played. I've enjoyed built-in WiFi and Blu-ray movies. I've been happy with my PS3.

But these same game companies seem to also be doing their utmost to ruin any good feelings I have with their attempts to grab more and more money. Every time I turn around I'm faced with a fee of some kind or a way to cripple a used game or a firmware bug that renders my console inoperable on a particular date or a patch for one game that renders another game glitched or an incomplete game description of a downloadable game (i.e. Final Fight).

Look at what Sony did with Playstation Plus: they promised WEEKLY specials to Playstation Plus members for the price of $50 per year. And people signed right up. But then, just 5 weeks later, Sony announced that they would update Playstation Plus every other week rather than the every week promised. Those that signed up with the promise of new offerings every week suddenly found themselves now only getting 50% of what they were promised. Not a very good incentive to get me to sign up for PS+ as who knows how many weeks will go by before Sony changes the membership rules again..... once a month updates, anybody???

I really don't like the direction that gaming is taking. And I'm sure there are a lot more changes to come that I haven't even thought about.... maybe good, maybe bad.

My spending on gaming for my PS3, Xbox360, and Wii is changing dramatically and I'm buying less and less and less. And its not because I don't have the fund to continue to make purchases... it because the gaming companies are changing the rules of gaming in a way I don't care to be a part of.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon
  • Like 3

My feelings exactly, its starting to become everywhere you turn you are facing a fee of some sort

I saw the writing on the wall last year when EA released Sims 3 and had all those pay-for-download items like clothes, furniture, etc. I believe it even started toward the end of Sims 2 a couple years ago IIRC.

I sold the game and will never go back. Modern gaming is dead to me.

• Like 2

My spending on gaming for my PS3, Xbox360, and Wii is changing dramatically and I'm buying less and less and less. And its not because I don't have the fund to continue to make purchases... it because the gaming companies are changing the rules of gaming in a way I don't care to be a part of.

Agreed.

The problem is obvious. For the last few years, Mel Gibson has been secretly running all of the gaming corporations so he would be granted full membership in the Illuminati. I wish Chuck Norris would do something about it already :(

Excellent, they are driving the bus straight to the cliff. There is going to be another crash and I will be there to scoop up all the abandoned hardware and games just like before. Bwahahahahahaaaa!!! It's all part of the plan, but I am going to have to sever ties with Gibson now that his cover is blown.

• Like 1

They want to play ball, I can play ball. And I think that eventually there will be backlash from more than just us.

year to date, I have spent $70 on modern gaming, down from probably well over $1k last year.

(I'll buy gt5 this year too, so $130 this year when that's done)

That's ~90% less modern gaming money from me. I've taken my yearly budget of thousands of gaming dollars elsewhere. Plenty of last-gen and older games to spend money on. Hell, if I skip my next projector upgrade, steering wheel upgrade and game system upgrade that's a used sports car worth of money, and then I don't need a gran turismo anymore.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

There is going to be another crash and I will be there to scoop up all the abandoned hardware and games just like before.

The irony being that you'll get to choose from a bunch of incomplete games with DLC that can no longer be downloaded.

Gibson has double-crossed you! ;)

There is going to be another crash and I will be there to scoop up all the abandoned hardware and games just like before.

The irony being that you'll get to choose from a bunch of incomplete games with DLC that can no longer be downloaded.

Gibson has double-crossed you! icon_wink.gif

thats when the pirates attack!

Like they'll give a shit when they're out of business.

Excellent, they are driving the bus straight to the cliff. There is going to be another crash and I will be there to scoop up all the abandoned hardware and games just like before. Bwahahahahahaaaa!!! It's all part of the plan, but I am going to have to sever ties with Gibson now that his cover is blown.

Except this time it won't work because the companies are gone and the servers are offline. ;)

Edited by Atariboy

I completely agree. I don't mind buying new 'micro' content at all, it gives the developer an incentive to continue to support games I like.

But a per montly subscription fee for an FPS? I believe my reply would begin with the letter 'F'.....

And the industry is heading this way. And I think some of these big companies are going to learn, just like Sega and Nintendo did back in the nineties that, just because you are top dog does not mean you won't get kicked to the curb if you piss your fanbase off.

There's no rage like nerd rage :D

• Like 2

Gibson has double-crossed you! ;)

oh yeah, all of those games for the original xbox that could get DLC is all but lost since the original Live is no more (except for a few that came out with DLC disks that has the updates and add ons, Halo 2 comes to mind as one of the games that had the add on disk). just before live got shut off for the original xbox i downloaded what i could onto my 360 (sad that many DLC never became free or had a reduced price). i can only imagine that somewhere someone has archived the DLC for most games for the original xbox.

There was still allot that i could not grab because that content never became free even towards the end.

Edited by madmax2069

I've been buying used games and using Gamefly like crazy and I don't feel bad about it at all. The last game I bought new was DarkstarOne for 360 simply because it's a space based vehicle game, an absolutely dead genre this generation.

MS and Sony are making no money off of me and I really couldn't care less. I used to buy a ton of new games but forget it, I'm not wasting my money anymore. Game publishers treat the fans like absolute s**t. Screw them.

Where are the video game industry crashes when you need 'em? :ponder:

Don't worry, it's already on the way.

This time around, there is too much gaming to be had over all of the years, so even if the industry crashes we will all have too much to play in a single lifetime. Personally, I already have enough games to last a lifetime. That doesn't stop me from buying new and old, but even so I doubt I will get through what I already have :)

oh yeah, all of those games for the original xbox that could get DLC is all but lost since the original Live is no more (except for a few that came out with DLC disks that has the updates and add ons, Halo 2 comes to mind as one of the games that had the add on disk). just before live got shut off for the original xbox i downloaded what i could onto my 360 (sad that many DLC never became free or had a reduced price). i can only imagine that somewhere someone has archived the DLC for most games for the original xbox.

There was still allot that i could not grab because that content never became free even towards the end.

All those files are easily available online and easy to install to a modded Xbox, thankfully.

I fear the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will never be cracked making such content permanently unavailable once the servers are turned off.

All those files are easily available online and easy to install to a modded Xbox, thankfully.

I fear the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will never be cracked making such content permanently unavailable once the servers are turned off.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/167932-ps3-jailbroken-allows-for-homebrew-backups/

Where are the video game industry crashes when you need 'em? :ponder:

Don't worry, it's already on the way.

This time around, there is too much gaming to be had over all of the years, so even if the industry crashes we will all have too much to play in a single lifetime. Personally, I already have enough games to last a lifetime. That doesn't stop me from buying new and old, but even so I doubt I will get through what I already have :)

Yes, I actually think a video game crash will be good for the industry. A few years to reorganize and fix itself and comeback better than ever. Plus, it gives us gamers time to catch on any games we missed out on before without all the new ones distracting us :) .

Since my original Xbox is dead ( HDD crashed, and DVD hardly worked when the HDD was working anyway) right now i have to rely on the crappy backwards compatibility emulation the 360 has to play my original Xbox games (my god KOTOR I and II plays like crap).

But eventually i will get my original xbox up and running again and mod that sucker so i can get the add-ons,