IGNORED

Sunnyvale 4 switch serial #

oldjd

* watches this thread with interest *

Is there such a thing as a Sunnyvale 4 switcher? I thought by the time 4 switch models came out they were all manufactured overseas. You sure the chassis wasn't changed out at some point?

I'm relatively new here, so input from those in the know will be interesting, indeed.

I have a 4 Switcher with a Sunnyvale origins sticker. The sticker however is not the traditional professionally printed sticker which appears on the Heavy Sixer. It is old looking, but looks like it was made with an old dot matrix printer. The model itself was sold to me as a promotional model but does not say promotional and or not for resale. It does not have the nice black plastic covering over the open ports on the backside panel. Instead it has a thinner plastic covering. It does look nice like Atari had made the covering to specs, but it is not the thicker plastic like on my other 4 switchers. I'm thinking it is either an early model prototype or something someone had moded. The unit itself is pretty beat up. It is not in collectors condition. It was cheap and I bought it to cannibalize for parts should the need arise.

Edited by Heavy26R

Let's see--

Switch levers: turned aluminum

Bezel trim paint: orange

Promo hot stamp: none

Looks like an ordinary retail 4-switcher to me. I didn't think any of those were made in Sunnyvale either, but now it seems that perhaps some were. However, the orange sticker identifies it as either having been serviced early in its life, or its being a factory reconditioned unit (also possibly factory "frankensteined" by being assembled from parts that came from multiple returned units). In the case of being reconditioned, the whole unit or just the case bottom could have been originally made elsewhere and then had the original serial sticker removed and replaced with the silver one it now bears.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Let's see--

Switch levers: turned aluminum

Bezel trim paint: orange

Promo hot stamp: none

Looks like an ordinary retail 4-switcher to me. I didn't think any of those were made in Sunnyvale either, but now it seems that perhaps some were. However, the orange sticker identifies it as either having been serviced early in its life, or its being a factory reconditioned unit (also possibly factory "frankensteined" by being assembled from parts that came from multiple returned units). In the case of being reconditioned, the whole unit or just the case bottom could have been originally made elsewhere and then had the original serial sticker removed and replaced with the silver one it now bears.

I thought that also,as far as the looks of the case.I suppose I could open it up,and see if the tag is still with it....maybe theres something there to show its as described a "frankenstein" or ???

However, the orange sticker identifies it as either having been serviced early in its life, or its being a factory reconditioned unit (also possibly factory "frankensteined" by being assembled from parts that came from multiple returned units).

That particular sticker is common on 4-switch units. I believe it's something placed there at the factory, and not necessarily indicative of the console having been serviced.

These non-promo Sunnvyale 4-switch consoles have been known to exist for years. Sunnyvale Vaders are out there as well.