IGNORED

Hands-on with the new Xbox 360 controller

xg4bx

First, the obvious attraction: The new "transforming" D-pad. With a not-so-simple twist of the D-pad, the corner quadrants drop out of the way leaving just the cross-shaped D-pad. I say "not-so-simple" because it actually requires a little bit of effort; after all, you don't want to go from cross-shaped to old-fashioned in the middle of a hadouken. Using two thumbs to spin the D-pad improves the process though, when not being twisted deliberately, it remained firmly in place. We were told that engineering the transforming D-pad was no easy feat and the final product is not only the result of several prototypes, but all sorts of stress testing.

We also learned that the included Play & Charge kit is improved as well, though these improvements were also evident in the newly redesigned black Play & Charge kit. The new battery pack commands an extra five hours of e-juice if charged over the Play & Charge cable and an extra 10 hours if charged using the wall-mounted Quick Charge kit. If you, like me, are a fan of plain ol' AA rechargeables (might I recommend some Sanyo Eneloops?) the kit comes with a standard battery cage so a fully charged controller is just a battery swap away.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/03/hands-on-with-the-new-xbox-360-controller-with-transforming-d-pa/

post-22906-17107_thumb.jpg

Edited by xg4bx

So they made a more traditional style Dpad with the round "Xbox circle" thing still around it, only you can remove the circle part? Why not just nix the circle altogether and just go with the standard Dpad? That would make more sense, and not cost them (and in the end, the customers (US) ) more money.

Or at least get the correct direction when you push the d-pad.

will this help fix alot of the Game Room problems... like River Raid?

-rick

Judging from what I've heard about Krome, the Game Room has far greater problems than River Raid.

yes, after playing Warloads... i see what your talking about....that game is way off!

ohh your talking about the company itself.... are they going down the tubes?

-rick

So they made a more traditional style Dpad with the round "Xbox circle" thing still around it, only you can remove the circle part? Why not just nix the circle altogether and just go with the standard Dpad? That would make more sense, and not cost them (and in the end, the customers (US) ) more money.

i've heard it's due to patent issues. i don't know how true it is but i've heard nintendo patented the classic d-pad style, thats why even sony's is different.

i've heard it's due to patent issues. i don't know how true it is but i've heard nintendo patented the classic d-pad style, thats why even sony's is different.

Well, there's Dpads, and there's Dpads. Nintendo owns the exact revision of Dpad that their various systems use, not the idea of the Dpad itself. Nobody else seems to have problems with making Dpads for their systems. And hell, even on the 360, there are plenty of third party pads with real Dpads.

The whole "but Nintendo owns it" argument stems from laziness. Nothing more.

post-3102-128432618202_thumb.jpg

This is why I use the Madcats controller, funny how they have to pay "Nintendo's" License :roll: and still manage to undercut Microsoft's price by at least 50% And it's a HELL of a lot better than Microsoft's own controller, and I'd hazard a guess it's better than the new pad too.

I have one of those. I use it for the classic XBLA games like Pac-Man. Other than that I find that it sucks (I don't like the feel of the triggers).

Your just a hater :P Actually I do like the MS triggers better :ponder: On the flip side, I like the larger bumpers of the madcatz better so I guess it's all a switchoff depending on your tastes :P

Or at least get the correct direction when you push the d-pad.

will this help fix alot of the Game Room problems... like River Raid?

-rick

Judging from what I've heard about Krome, the Game Room has far greater problems than River Raid.

yes, after playing Warloads... i see what your talking about....that game is way off!

ohh your talking about the company itself.... are they going down the tubes?

-rick

Yeah, people are getting laid off left and right in that company. I think they shut down an entire division a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure the price point is the best idea. Rather than divide the community, they should pack these in and sell them cheaper.

I think MS is now on the price bandwagon of gauging the hardcores and worrying about discounting stuff later. Same for Kinect. Price it at $150 and then when it sells for $100 it's a deal.

But I'm going to pick up one of these controllers. I've always HATED the d-pad on my old 360 controllers. Glad they at least publicly addressed it. Although I have heard that more recent versions of the controller had improved iterations of the d-pad. I may have to revisit many of my XBLA games. And no, I didn't bother with game room. I LIVE in the game room, why would I need one on my 360?

But I'm going to pick up one of these controllers. I've always HATED the d-pad on my old 360 controllers.

I just gotta wonder how many people are going to take the circle off and insta-loose it :P Considering getting rid of the dopey round pad is the main appeal for the thing, I don't see many people buying one and leaving it on :ponder: