IGNORED

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon confirmed

xg4bx

The sequel to one of the finest co-games to have released for the Xbox 360is now confirmed. Spotted over at Gamestop's conference, was a banner of the game which stated "Earth Defense Force 2017 : Returns 2011". Although, no further details are out and we were left in the dark, we hunted around which led us to the game's official website which also has the logo!

http://www.psbeyond.com/news/Earth-Defense-Force-Insect-Armageddon-confirmed-coming-2011.18818.html

When I first heard this news, I was way too excited; I love the EDF games. But then I read that Sandlot (the original developer) is not involved, instead Vicious Cycle is making it. They made that game Eat Lead, but, I've never played that or any other games they've developed. I just hope they don't try to add too much and take away the essential spirit of the game. Whatever the heck that means. Just keep it fast, lots of stuff to kill, and don't make the graphics all dark and drab. :) EDF! EDF!

Eh, I'm sure I'll probably pick it up no matter what. lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh man this game is looking sweet.

Although, I said the same thing about Two Worlds 2.

:ponder: :cool:

lol. however with this, what you see is exactly what you get. i don't see an edf game packing any unpleasant surprises.

Edited by xg4bx

lol. however with this, what you see is exactly what you get. i don't see an edf game packing any unpleasant surprises.

It seems very similar to the first with VERY polished graphics. Also looks like your character moves are more fluid, and faster in this one.

Still not a fan of the split screen co-op, hoping the online 3 player co-op is done right. That will really push this title over the top. Even if this was a carbon copy of the first, with better graphics and online co-op it would be worth the price of admission. I'm planning on snagging this title on day 1.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

short review-this is edf 2017 on steriods. bigger, faster, more intense. there's more new creatures in the 1st 2 levels than all of 2017. the monsters have been redesigned. the ants and hector robots are still there but theyre joined by spiders, wasps, ticks, metal ants/spiders, massive hectors and a few other new ones.

gameplay changes:instead of being confined to just a soldier class theres now 4 and each play differently: grunt, tactical, sniper and heavy. the tactical can deploy automated turrets and the heavy can use energy shields and gatling guns. i haven't unlocked the special abilities for the other 2 yet. you now have a run button. you operate in a team of 3 and their a.i. is very good. unless theyre dead theyll always revive you and they definitely hold their own in combat.

as for vehicles theres turrets, tanks and mechs.

theres still plenty of weapon unlocks.

the game is surprisingly challenging. the default is normal and ive gotten my ass kicked quite a few times. sometimes its a matter of trial and error, picking the right weapons to get the job done, like the 1st one was.

its very intense. at some points ive literally never seen so many enemies onscreen and the enemies are aggressive, they dont just sit and wait to die. it honestly feels like a 3d robotron when theres heavy fighting going on.

the game is far shorter than the original, theres only 15 levels compared to the what, 60 or so in the original, but the levels are far larger, longer and there doesnt seem to be any "filler" missions. ive only played the sp campaign but theres also a campaign remix, split screen co-op, online co-op and survival mode. higher difficulties also allow for different weapon unlocks. so despite being shorter, theres more content. its jam packed with achievements, unlike the mere 6 in the original and none seem to require online play to accomplish so theyre achieveable by those without xbl.

if youre a fan of edf 2017 i think youd really like this one. its similar yet different enough that it doesnt feel like a rehash. id also recommend it to anyone looking for a fast, arcade style shooter with a little more meat than those games usually have. its also only $40, thats icing on the cake.

Edited by xg4bx

apparently there are 3 different endings, 1 per difficulty level.

remix mode changes up the scenarios in the levels. a poster on gfaqs has seen 3 different scenarios on the 1st level alone.

this game wont be leaving my 360 all summer, i want to 100% this.

Great review xg4bx. I found the original pretty challenging, I think there were like 3 levels I couldn't beat on the hard setting and that I needed to get the next achievement. Not sure I like the sound of longer but less missions. I thought the level lengths were perfect in the first one, and yeah there was a ton of them!! I'm surprised it took so long for a sequel. The first one was pretty popular for being a discount 3rd party game, and the premise is ripe for sequels! Grasshoppers, centipedes, bee's, heck why not even throw in Killer Shrews and really throwback to the giant animal movies of the 50's.

I'm getting this game for sure. How is the online co-op? Have you tried it?

Great review xg4bx. I found the original pretty challenging, I think there were like 3 levels I couldn't beat on the hard setting and that I needed to get the next achievement. Not sure I like the sound of longer but less missions. I thought the level lengths were perfect in the first one, and yeah there was a ton of them!! I'm surprised it took so long for a sequel. The first one was pretty popular for being a discount 3rd party game, and the premise is ripe for sequels! Grasshoppers, centipedes, bee's, heck why not even throw in Killer Shrews and really throwback to the giant animal movies of the 50's.

I'm getting this game for sure. How is the online co-op? Have you tried it?

no, havent tried it yet. ive started going back and grinding earlier levels on hard for xp and weapons because the last level on normal is tough as nails, they throw everything at you. ive probably put almost 10 hours into it so far and i literally only have a single digit percentage of the available weapons (theres supposedly 300).

Heres the skinny on the game from me:

Polished grafx..smooth animation.....better control of characters and vehicles. And more options for specific classes are GREAT!

No Stuck AI enimes or soldiers...your squad really helps you out, even revives and jumps in you tank as a gunner or grabs their own Tank/Mech/Turret.

No filler BS levels like the red ant beach attack on the first one..Half of the mission on the 1st sucked ass...lots of running for a fight in a 100ftor less area. .All the level are huge and have a more realistic/organic feel to them, your not just stuck on a beach of crazy ants....you ARE running thru a large city.

No underground aka "lost tunnel" missions. THANK GOD! I got so sick of them.

Every thing seems smarter more SCAREY /moves more/not as much as a cluster $%^ as the first...you can actually escape a swarm of ants without getting knocked down 50 times. I ts seems like they hunt you down esp the biggger robots and want YOU dead. I love the Kamakazi fighter ships...Their "eye" glows red and turn right towards you and dive bomb.

Spider webs are not a almost instant death and dont maagically go thru/around buildings/debri/floors.

Great 3 plyr multiplayer...no lag YES its amazing!

So So survial limited weapons no special classes no dropped health. And no bonus for playing, you dont get EX/weapons...nothing.

So far the weapons seem to do more damage but have less pojectiles..I have not seen a 5/10/20 flurry of missle volley yet which I loved from the first one. Reload times can be cut in half if you time a "Gears of War style" quick reload. No flammers/toxic/gernades/lasers...as of yet! But there are some really cool charcter specific things Sheilds/Flying/Electro guns/Shockblast/Speed/Radar you get.

Voice acting is 100X better...and has a few good/funny moments.

Less things coming at you but more intense since they seem smarter and WILL attack not just sit and spin or fly around amlessly.

The only things I dont like so far is the weapon selction screen select is hard to figure out what weapon you are on and the variety of weapons seems to much of the same per weapon class.

No night/fog missions really. Is short but fun to replay.

You dont get to build you health up to XXXXXXXXX if you want to spend the time to, it caps you at level 8 or 9. So instaed of slowly getting stronger, you are a week lvl1...now your a stronger lvl 2. You feel like a god each level (unlocking teir 2+ guns/armor/turrets) up after you go and play a earlier lvl.

No helicopters! But you get a jet pack character.

The good outways the bad by ALOT. And you cannot beat a $40 game that has all the fun if not more than the original.

And did mention I have not once got stuck "on a wall/fence" or frusturated with this game in any way yet. Thats a huge plus to me.

Hard mode is HARD!

Inferno is STUPID HARD X 10!!! But im sure the more I lvl up and get some good guns it wont be so bad...maybe.

• Like 1