IGNORED

Intellivision - Help me stop hating it so much!

Lendorien

I take it back then. Stupid 90s. The only thing that was good about that decade is I graduated from publik skool and got my individuality back.

I couldn't stand the 90s either. That decade had its moments, but by and large, it was such a disappointment after all the potential of the 80s. And one of the most disappointing things of all ... is that INTV went bankrupt and the Intellivision went out of production.

(Oops ... I was going to take credit for bringing us back on topic so smoothly, but you beat me to it!) :lol:

I sorta miss the days of the mail order intv. I'd wait to get that catalog and drool over the games. The only games I remember getting were commando (good version imho) body slam and tower of doom. I'd take a look at my collection but i'm at about 30k feet over michigan right now.

Dragging the thread back on topic... well, more on topic anyway

I finally got to playing AD&D today. I will admit that I like the game quite a bit. I find it more entertaining than Adventure on the 2600 (Here come the fanboys...). The cave spelunking part is fun and I like the twisty turny passages and different room shapes. A nice change compared to Adventure or like games. It would have been nice to have more objects to collect or weapons to use, but as it is, it's not bad. I beat it on easy and almost made it on medium. I also find that the disc is the perfect control scheme for the game. Rotating the disk to change direction is far more fluid and less mechanical than say... a joystick. Also easier on the hands.

So, yes, I found an Intellivision game I like. I'm still not willing to spend enough money to get some of the other good ones suggested here.

Also got Triple Action the other day. I played the games today with a friend while he was waiting for his ride to the airport to pick him up. Biplanes is the best of the lot. I played it on Intellivision Lives! a couple years back so was familiar, though I did find the control scheme to be backwards. Guess I'm used to more modern games having flying be backwards (up is down and down is up). It's a fun 2 player game, though good only for about a half hour before it gets repetitive.

Also... maybe it's just AD&D, but does the intellivision have a screen time-out function? I put down the controller for a bit to make supper and came back and the screen was blanked out. Hit a button and it comes back. Is this an intellivision feature?

Edited by Lendorien

I finally got to playing AD&D today. I will admit that I like the game quite a bit. I find it more entertaining than Adventure on the 2600 (Here come the fanboys...). The cave spelunking part is fun and I like the twisty turny passages and different room shapes. A nice change compared to Adventure or like games. It would have been nice to have more objects to collect or weapons to use, but as it is, it's not bad. I beat it on easy and almost made it on medium. I also find that the disc is the perfect control scheme for the game. Rotating the disk to change direction is far more fluid and less mechanical than say... a joystick. Also easier on the hands.

:)

And fanboy's? Adventure fanboy's you mean? AD&D is one of the greatest dungeon crawlers ever. Especially for such an early system. The feel you felt is to be found in quite a few other Intv games. No need to pay tons of money for any of them. The best games (as is the case for most systems) are readily and cheaply available. Give it more of a try... the Intv controller is well suited for many/most of its games.

OH and yes - the Intellivision does have a built in screen saver for most/all of the games. You can also manually instigate it by pressing 1 and 9 on the keypad at the same time. Or 3 and 7...

Edited by save2600

Also... maybe it's just AD&D, but does the intellivision have a screen time-out function? I put down the controller for a bit to make supper and came back and the screen was blanked out. Hit a button and it comes back. Is this an intellivision feature?

Yes, it does that, at least on some games. Some games actually have a pause, also. It is usually hitting 1 and 9 (?) on the keypad simultaneously.

Yes that's correct! It's the bathroom or smoke break feature. ;)

Just press like was said here 1/9 3/7 numbers, just hold 'em down. I press one number

and then the other. I tend to pause by pressing 3/7. I think every game on Intellivision can be paused! :cool:

• 5 months later...

I grew up a 2600 owner. I was jealous of the Intellivision owners since the sports games were better and a few other titles that never appeared on the 2600 (The D&D titles for one).

I bought an Inty II about 10 years ago with 50 carts and honestly Im glad I didnt own one growing up. The controllers are just terrible and I will throw win the 5200 controllers are terrible also.

The games look pretty good - The Tron games and Sport titles, but I couldnt control anything and the buttons were not soft to the touch. I honestly only played the thing about 5 times over 10 years before selling mine.

Game quality was good for the most part (Donkey Kong excluded :) ) - but I dont miss the Inty ;)

The controllers are great. They make it so that emulators and rereleases and such never work right because you never get proper 16 way joysticks :)

The only thing wrong with them is they break too easy, and the side buttons really need to be 4 different buttons, not 3 (this is really bugging me on nova blast, I have to hold the stupid thing backwards!).

The intellivision is awesome. Just try going back to atari afterwards!

Wasnt this thread in gaming general? i dont remember it being in the intv forum? i must be going crazy. icon_mrgreen.gif

anyway....who could hate the intellivision....shame shame!

I was thinking the same thing.

The controllers are great. They make it so that emulators and rereleases and such never work right because you never get proper 16 way joysticks :)

The only thing wrong with them is they break too easy, and the side buttons really need to be 4 different buttons, not 3 (this is really bugging me on nova blast, I have to hold the stupid thing backwards!).

The intellivision is awesome. Just try going back to atari afterwards!

I just don't like using emulators unless as a last resort. The controls suck, or at least my controller does anyway.

I remember when we were playing Beamrider for the High Score Challenge, i had to use an emulator since i didn't have the game yet. I didn't do so well. It was hard to control and it was hard on the eyes. Then a few months later i bought the actual cartridge and what a difference. Not only did i have an easier time controlling, it was easier on the eyes. But that also could be my crappy monitor. But i always thought anything on the TV (movies, games) was easier on the eyes over my monitor.

Lendorien

we have our own problems in keeping this community alive because of small homebrew support and fierce "competition" of systems of same era like the TERRIBLE Atari 2600 and the great Colecovision so one fan more or less of our beloved and awesome system will not change ours and your positions. Personally I think Atari 2600 a terrible system but when I have nothing else to buy for my favourite consoles...I also collect Atari items, you can do the same without any emphasis for the Intellivision. No ?

ciao

I am waiting on an INTV II as we speak. I am extremely excited.

Cograts! You are in for a very fun gaming experience.! Did you get any games with it? We have a couple of threads you can read about the best games to start with, plus quite a few of us have the odd extra copy lying around that might interest you. ;)

Cograts! You are in for a very fun gaming experience.! Did you get any games with it? We have a couple of threads you can read about the best games to start with, plus quite a few of us have the odd extra copy lying around that might interest you. ;)

Here are the games I am receiving per the deal I worked out:

Boxed:

Sea Battle-

Space Battle-

NFL Football-

No Box:

Demon Attack-

Star Strike-

Poker Blackjack-

Utopia-

Basketball-

Sub Hunt-

Pitfall!-

Frog Bog-

Major League Baseball-

Triple Action-

Burgertime-

Space Battle-

PGA Golf-

Donkey Kong-

Off-Topic: I'm still on the hunt for Shark Shark and Astrosmash. Also, is Space Armada a good one?

Here are the games I am receiving per the deal I worked out:

Boxed:

Sea Battle-

Space Battle-

NFL Football-

No Box:

Demon Attack-

Star Strike-

Poker Blackjack-

Utopia-

Basketball-

Sub Hunt-

Pitfall!-

Frog Bog-

Major League Baseball-

Triple Action-

Burgertime-

Space Battle-

PGA Golf-

Donkey Kong-

Off-Topic: I'm still on the hunt for Shark Shark and Astrosmash. Also, is Space Armada a good one?

Astrosmash is real easy to come by, I honestly think I might have 15 copies at least, Shark! Shark! is less common but not too hard to find. Space Armada is obviously just INTV's version of Space Invaders but I've always liked it. Check out the "top 25" thread for other have to have INTV games and I'm sure we can help you fill out your wish list. You have some of the core games in your original package but there are many more great ones to discover :)

Sweet! I am sad to say that this setup is a gift for a childhood friend of mine who I haven't seen in a little while, but I think I'll get some good use out of it before I hand it over. He and his wife have two boys, ages 3 and 5. The last time I saw them, I hooked up the 2600 jr and they loved e.t., so I'm sure they're gonna love this!

• 11 years later...
On 12/15/2010 at 8:24 PM, Lendorien said:

As for astrosmash, I really prefer Astroblast. The paddle really makes that game. Astrosmash is weak in comparison.

The suits loved Astrosmash—it was the only game simple enough for them to actually play. APh created Astroblast and included paddle control because (a) that was obviously the right controller to use for that game and (b) it was trying to convince the suits that the next generation of Intellivision should accommodate a paddle controller.

• Like 3