IGNORED

Apple Snaffle (WIP)

GroovyBee

I had a couple of hours free last night so started getting to grips with the Inty and came up with this :-

post-21935-128394799586_thumb.png

post-21935-128394800829_thumb.png

That's all it does at the moment icon_lol.gif. Apologies for the atrocious programmer art. It uses the same level data as my 7800 version of the same game. I'm concerned that the rock/apple physics will eat too much CPU time but I'll be using a different approach than the way I implemented those routines on the 7800. I also have a ton of other projects on the go at the moment so this will be on and off the back burner for a while.

• Like 5

I had a couple of hours free last night so started getting to grips with the Inty and came up with this :-

post-21935-128394799586_thumb.png

post-21935-128394800829_thumb.png

That's all it does at the moment :lol:. Apologies for the atrocious programmer art. It uses the same level data as my 7800 version of the same game. I'm concerned that the rock/apple physics will eat too much CPU time but I'll be using a different approach than the way I implemented those routines on the 7800. I also have a ton of other projects on the go at the moment so this will be on and off the back burner for a while.

Exciting! :-) :-)

I just googled and found the thread for the 7800 version. I guess you had a demo at CGE 2010! I was there but didn't know about it or get to see the demo. :-(

Has anyone posted a video of the final CGE Demo version? (I saw a few offers from folks to do so on YouTube, but you implored them to wait for the final version. A quick search there turns up nothing.) I don't have a 7800 or a CC2 to try it out with. I'm curious what the game play is like.

Hopefully the physics won't eat up too much CPU. The CP-1610 surprises me again and again with how powerful it is thanks to being 16-bit, and with generous ROM space and lookup tables, many things are possible.

I noticed your final .BIN file was 128K bytes. Yowzers! :-) Fortunately, the CC3 provides 128K bytes of game storage (64K x 16-bit), accessible with bankswitching. My JLP cart design actually supports games up to about 240K bytes (120K x 16-bit), so there's even a path to physical cartridges once you get there.

Has anyone posted a video of the final CGE Demo version? (I saw a few offers from folks to do so on YouTube, but you implored them to wait for the final version. A quick search there turns up nothing.) I don't have a 7800 or a CC2 to try it out with. I'm curious what the game play is like.

If you search the forum for version 1.3e of ProSystem (its a 7800 emulator) the binaries in the development thread will work fine on that. I'm not a big fan of youtube's policies so I'd rather WIPs stayed off there.

Hopefully the physics won't eat up too much CPU. The CP-1610 surprises me again and again with how powerful it is thanks to being 16-bit, and with generous ROM space and lookup tables, many things are possible.

As I mentioned I'll be taking a different approach to the physics. I might back port it to the 7800 version ;).

I noticed your final .BIN file was 128K bytes. Yowzers! :-) Fortunately, the CC3 provides 128K bytes of game storage (64K x 16-bit), accessible with bankswitching. My JLP cart design actually supports games up to about 240K bytes (120K x 16-bit), so there's even a path to physical cartridges once you get there.

There are loads of graphics for animations in the 7800 version of the game. I'm using its 13 colour mode (4BPP) for most of them so that all takes space. Plus the level data is in there too.

Oh my, you have my attention with those screenshots!

Hopefully the game will look better once I get an artist on board. I'll see if espire8 wants to do the honours for the Inty version too.

Time for me to install those sticks on a pair of Intellivision controllers. :D

I've been thinking about taking my Inty apart to see how the controllers are wired. I'm going to add my PSX adapter to the list of projects for it (if its feasible).

Time also for me to create an Intellivision Programming forum!

:cool: I'll devote some time to making a game making tutorial or two for it.

I've been thinking about taking my Inty apart to see how the controllers are wired. I'm going to add my PSX adapter to the list of projects for it (if its feasible).

More so than just about any other system, the Intellivision really needs replacement controllers. It's too bad they are hardwired into the system (discounting the Intellivision II, of course). I wonder if they are soldered onto the motherboard. Even then I would be happy to go in there and desolder the old controllers if it meant I could use another controller. The hard part is the fact that the Intellivision really needs a keypad controller, so you need to work that in somehow.

..Al

The hard part is the fact that the Intellivision really needs a keypad controller, so you need to work that in somehow.

How about connecting a jagpad? Maybe a PSX controller and a jagpad together? I'm pretty sure with the analogue sticks on the PSX controller you could create vectors to get the 16 directions.

How about connecting a jagpad? Maybe a PSX controller and a jagpad together? I'm pretty sure with the analogue sticks on the PSX controller you could create vectors to get the 16 directions.

A Jaguar controller was my first thought until I remembered the Intellivision controller has more than eight discrete directions. An analog stick is pretty much the only way to go there. Not sure how much of a pain it'll be to use a separate keypad, but at least the Jaguar controllers are easy enough to find.

You do have a whole bunch of extra buttons on a Playstation controller. Four D-Pad directions, the four buttons on the right, select and start, and the four L/R buttons at the top. You need three "fire" buttons, but that leaves plenty of buttons on the PSX controller that can be "mapped" to keypad buttons. This would work well for games that just use a few of the keypad buttons and especially for games that require quick access to them. You could still have a normal keypad plugged in. Actually, if you could keep a regular Intellivision controller plugged in, then you could still use the overlays..

This discussion should be moved into a separate topic.

..Al

Oh my, you have my attention with those screenshots!

Time for me to install those sticks on a pair of Intellivision controllers. icon_mrgreen.gif

Time also for me to create an Intellivision Programming forum!

..Al

Great news Al! icon_thumbsup.gif I look forward to the day when my AA shopping cart includes not just 2600, 7800 and CV goodness, but also some new INTV awesomeness. icon_mrgreen.gif

• 2 years later...

After seeing the Boulder Dash for Inty announcement I went and brushed off the thick layer of dust on this one. Wow! :o 3 years ago (nearly) - time flies. It was my first ever Inty project and looking at the code I definitely wouldn't do it that way again. My major stumbling block back then was that I didn't know how to coax AS1600 into adding a chunk of RAM (or where to put it in the Inty memory map) to make the earth in the level destroyable. You could move the player avatar over the earth (and scroll) but not make him go through it. Which wasn't much fun at all. Anyways... I made a few small changes and here's the gifeo of it in action :-

post-21935-0-47269900-1376990087_thumb.gif <---- Click to animate

The gifeo doesn't do the 4 way scrolling any justice because its all pixel smooth on the real thing. The earth disappearing needs a few frames of animation as the player avatar moves into the freshly cleared space so it looks a bit rough (never mind the atrocious programmer art :lol:).

The game's 8 way scrolling engine could be used for all kinds of other games e.g. dungeon crawlers like Gauntlet or maybe even a huge bot arena :twisted: :ponder:. I have enough projects on the go at the moment so there won't be any more updates on this one for a while.

• Like 2

The game's 8 way scrolling engine could be used for all kinds of other games e.g. dungeon crawlers like Gauntlet or maybe even a huge bot arena :twisted: :ponder:. I have enough projects on the go at the moment so there won't be any more updates on this one for a while.

We really do need a new RPG style game ... with voice support. :-D

The scrolling effect looks good from here. Gauntlet would be fantastic, but I would imagine that would be very difficult to make a lot of enemies which was one of the cool things in gauntlet. However, a generic RPG style dungeon crawler with a wizard using the fire buttons for the standard attack, and the number keys for different spells ... you got yourself a cool game.

You're living a dream of mine to be able to create your own INTY game ... however, due to a severe lack of programming skills, that likely won't happen for me. I played around enough to make a screenshot or two, put on an MOB, but that's about as far as I got before real life swallowed me back up.

We really do need a new RPG style game ... with voice support. :-D

Unfortunately RPGs aren't really my thing so its not something I'm likely to pursue on the Inty.

The scrolling effect looks good from here. Gauntlet would be fantastic, but I would imagine that would be very difficult to make a lot of enemies which was one of the cool things in gauntlet. However, a generic RPG style dungeon crawler with a wizard using the fire buttons for the standard attack, and the number keys for different spells ... you got yourself a cool game.

I think you could probably get away with faking a ton of baddies on screen with a good flocking algorithm. If you made the monsters always try to be BACKTAB cell aligned in X and Y you could convert them into BACKTAB cards when they stand still and then convert them back to a MOB for fine grained movement. This is kinda what I'm doing in KillBotz! The only downside is that your sprites tend to have a chunky look about them and can only have one foreground colour.

You're living a dream of mine to be able to create your own INTY game ... however, due to a severe lack of programming skills, that likely won't happen for me. I played around enough to make a screenshot or two, put on an MOB, but that's about as far as I got before real life swallowed me back up.

My only suggestions would be :-

•  
  • Keep on plugging away on your projects as and when you get time.
  • If you get stuck on something work on another part of the project that isn't related to the problem area.
  • Ask questions in the Inty programming section. There are always a ton of ways to get things done or different approaches that you might not have thought about.

If your projects are making progress (however small) they are much more likely to get over the finish line.

• 7 months later...